Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
No offense intended, John. Hello to Lincoln
Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

.....and none taken (or intended) on my side. I too take alternates a lot. We just drove SC to MA, and I drove some highway I hadn't taken in a couple of years. Very few had been had been worked on, and some that were good then had deteriorated seriously.

I know highways can be built that don't crack and crumble. There are 2 and 3 mile stretches all across the country that withstand regular pounding from half-million and million-pound vehicles on a daily basis, winter and summer, without spalling, cracking, or crumbling.

Trucks have weighed 80,000 Lbs for a long time. The roads just have to be properly built.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #44

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have too many pieces of road to mention, but my gripe is with sections that are "repaired". Is there some law or some best engineering practice that makes the roads in the desert SW worse after they have had any repairs? It's like they were repaired by children using plastic toys for the "heavy equipment". The roads are rougher where they've been patched!

Old 05-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINADR View Post
I 10 from the West Texas border to San Antonio is the worst road I've ever driven. Rough and bumpy ride the entire length. But Texas did fix it by installing a Rough Road sign every couple of miles.

X 2. Crazy, why waste money on a sign, you already know how bad it is? FIX IT
Old 05-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #46
TWV

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
That gravel road in front of my house. After I win the lotto, it will be paved.
Don't be so anxious to get it paved. Road in front of our place was gravel and people drove relatively slow. They paved it and now some think it is a race track.
TWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Michigan roads!!!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #48

I -70 east bound between Indianapolis & Ohio (March 2016 homebound from Yuma AZ) the road is so bad the knobs vibrated off the washing machine.

JMichael
Newmar 2001 KADP
Old 05-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I refuse to drive I-65 between Chicago and Nashville anymore. A few years ago we left Chicago to head to Florida and hit a pothole so deep that a chunk of concrete flew up and punched a hole in the side of the RV. Cost $1600 in fiberglass repairs.
I use I-57 now, much better, although adds another 100 or so miles to the trip, and gas is more expensive than in Indiana. Still worth it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
In 2009 we decided to take a trip to Alaska. Portions of the Alcan highway were bad but on the way back we decided to got to Hyder Alaska to view the bears so we to the Kaiser Highway in BC. There were portions that they were working on (I use the term lightly). They had the road bottlenecked down to 1 lane and used flagmen to control traffic both ways. The road was muddy and rutted, didn't think we would make it through in a couple places. Our motorhome got completely muddy, we had bikes on the back. A couple times that we stopped we actually had people stop and take pictures of the coach, one even asked what color was it.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #51

went around NYC but 84 in Danbury Conn was like RR tracks
Old 05-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarv1 View Post
went around NYC but 84 in Danbury Conn was like RR tracks

I-84 has been bad for quite a while from Scranton through Hartford, with these exceptions: 1) in PA just about every road is bad, so it may not be fair to single out I-84; 2) as of last year the New York section from Port Jervis eastward was in good shape, a very pleasant relief from PA; this year it's starting to show its wear; 3) from Danbury through Waterbury to Hartford I-84 has been particularly bad, but in fairness, the State of CT has been working on this stretch for a couple of years now. East of Hartford to the MA line I-84 is good, with the exception of lots of bridge joints. Is there no one in the northeast who knows how to build a bridge joint that will last?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #53

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Construction companies should be required to guarantee the roads they build. Roads can be built to last.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #54
doc

Appalachian Campers
All good answers, but I like the one about companies having to guarantee their work! Excellent idea. Here in the South they have begun to grind down surface of the existing roads - local and interstates - before the new asphalt is put down. That is helping. However, in the state of South Carolina the new asphalt/plant mix is breaking up into gravel size pies where ever there is a joint where the current pavement strip ends and the new one begins. I believe this may have to do with the lack of enough actual liquid asphalt in the mix. It is simply not holding together.

Worst road? Highway 36 from St Joseph, Missouri across the state to Hannibal. Four lane most of the way but the actual road bed was so rough I started looking for an alternate route. In fairness to the state, I believe the surface was replaced a couple of years later.
I love US history and General John "Blackjack" Pershing (WWI leader of US Expeditionary Forces) once lived in a small town along that route.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
Construction companies should be required to guarantee the roads they build. Roads can be built to last.

They are built to government specs and the lowest bidder wins, so.....

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #56

On our trip to Alaska...

In 2011, just east of Havre, MT they had completely torn up the roadbed on RT 2(both sides). We had solid rain from AL to Fairbanks, AK and Havre had had it's share. You could see semi cabs bouncing/torqueing and their drivers being launched in their chairs. DEEP potholes hidden under a slurry of mud. No one could do more than 3 to 5 mph and by their looks, everybody could have chewed nails - me included. Some of the potholes were so deep that when we drop a wheel into them, I had to stop and use power to force a wheel up and out...stuff coming out from the cabinets - everywhere. There surely would have been bloodshed committed had workers been present...of course there wasn't - it was raining. Anyway, by the time we got into Havre, both the coach and toad were the same color as that patch of pig pen.

Our reserved campground in Havre was closed due to flooding. We stayed in a Wal-Mart for the night...a perfect ending to that day. The chicken wasn't bad though, I ate the lion's share. Stress makes me hungry.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote