Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #57
l81 from Binghamton to Harrisburg rough, bumpy and to much construction

wsd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #58

Worst roads that you have driven on.

Originally Posted by wsd890 View Post
l81 from Binghamton to Harrisburg rough, bumpy and to much construction

If there weren't bumps there would be no construction.
And there are folks that will "Never drive THAT road again", and it had already had been rebuilt.
And most of world lines up to crowd the freeways, when the original adjacent highway is superb.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #59
2X I-40 between Little Rock and West Memphis. It's been a disaster for at least 15 years.
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #60
Rexhall Owners Group
I have to concur with the opinions that the roads in Indiana are the worst. Each year we have to traverse the state on our way to Colorado. Several years ago I was happy to learn that I-70 through Indianapolis was closed for improvements. When the "improvements " were finished and I-70 reopened, I looked forward to a pleasant trip through town. Potholes were so bad, and joints so deteriorated, that I actually had cans for soup bouncing out of the cupboard.
2003 Rexhall Rexair, 3550 Ford V10 with Banks
2014 Honda CRV-AWD via Blue Ox
Travel with SWMBO and Golden Doodle co pilot
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #61
Call your Congressman and Senators and tell them to fix the roads and bridges in America before they send one more dollar of foreign aid to any country.
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #62
That's easy I've never been on a worse road than the last 23 miles into Chaco Canyon National Park. The best I could do was 5 MPH but the place is so worth it. Pat and I talk about that trip and it was 9 years ago now.
John, Pat and the cat named BOO
HONDA FIT in tow
johnboy2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #63
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by DTG173 View Post
I haven't driven the BQE in years. But I remember the sudden right lane exit only feature!
Don't let the recent re-surfacing(3 years ago) of the Cross Bronx lure you in to highway speeds if you hit it with no traffic. Then again, hitting it with no traffic would be a miracle.
I was on the BQE last year and I swear I thought when I got to my destination I would step out of the coach and it would just crumble to pieces like in a cartoon. If my family did not live out on Long Island I would NEVER drive in that area again
Bob and Saing USAF Retired
Porky the bird & Pudder the dog
2008 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
bobf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:22 AM   #64
Newmar Owners Club
Interstate 10 is "Louisiana's Premier Pothole". From Lafayette to Henderson, the road resembles that of a 3rd world country and there's no relief in sight...given the continued budget shortfalls that have plagued our state since the days of Huey P. Long. Just yesterday, I had to re attach the pull down shades in the bedroom...which fell during a recent trip along our beloved Interstate!!
2012 Newmar Ventana
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #65
Leaving Long Island for I80 in PA., right after breakfast. Look out Bronx, here we come. Batton down the hatch's.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #66
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have been on a lot of roads, but by a long shot the worst were the Top of the World Highway (that's a laughable designation - it's the old mule trail across the ridgeback of the Northern Rockies) from Dawson City, Yukon Territory to Chicken, Alaska, and the James Dalton Highway (they keep using that word - I do not think it means what they think it does) from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay on the Arctic Ocean north shore of Alaska.

If you have not been on these roads, you don't have a frame of reference. Don't even think about them if you don't have a repair budget allocated ahead of time. I'm not kidding at all.
Brad Felmey
1998 Newmar Dutch Star M-3883 DP (Freightliner)
Soon to be full-time (est. late 2016)
Brad Felmey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #67

I-65 Indiana Update

Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I-65 in Indiana from Louisville to Indianapolis. Potholes at every pavement joint. Couldn't dodge them either. The governor of Indiana should be sentenced to drive it both ways every day until it's fixed!
Just checked Google Earth, Street View and see that I-65 from Louisville to Indianapolis has been resurfaced/reconstructed and looks very good. We last drove it in 2013 so it must have been done since then. Maybe someone can confirm that.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #68
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Leaving Long Island for I80 in PA., right after breakfast. Look out Bronx, here we come. Batton down the hatch's.

The ride thru the Bronx was smooth, mosty because it took 2 hours to move 10 miles. Who knew the Tapan Zee bridge would be closed due to a jack knifed big rig.

I blame the highway INFORM system. Everybody knew and headed to the George Washington bridge, where we were.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #69

Originally Posted by DTG173 View Post
Try the Cross Bronx Expressway.
It's better when traffic is going 30 mph. I won't travel it more than 45mph. Unfortunately it's more often 3 mph, or not moving at all. Thankfully it's only about 10 miles, but easily the worst 10 miles of any road trip for me.

All you need to do is look at the shoulder of this road and all you see are mufflers, hub caps (two of which are mine), and various other car parts. I'm not sure if any of the original roadway is still there. It just looks like a mass of patches.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #70
Last year, I put about 30,000 miles on my camper, driving pretty everywhere from Oregon to Maine to Arizona. Pretty much every state seems to have some bad stretches on their interstates, but the worst would have to be I-278 in NYC. The amount of debris on the side of the road was incredible, like being in a 3rd world country.

It was so rough that it broke parts of the plumbing in my camper.

The worst "road" the camper went down was a ridiculously washboarded stretch of county gravel road from I-25 to KOA Wellington, CO. I took it at a slow walking pace since I only needed to go about 1/4 mile.

cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote