Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #1

Would you buy a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery?

A friend of mine is considering this coach. I'm a Monaco guy and have no knowledge of this brand/model. He is asking $80k which is average what I see on rv trader. Would love to hear comments on the brand and price.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #2

EDIT: We looked at several Discovery DP very early 2000 models (2001/2002).. seems like there were issues with leaks in the bath area - search for that.

I have read that the early - mid 2000's, many lines had quality control issues / took shortcuts for more profits (? not sure if I am using the correct terms). Like any coach, inspect, test all systems, test drive, get a chassis inspection and get up on the roof.

We actually were looking even older, I wanted a DP. My range was back to the 94+. Looked at several Beaver, Safari, Alpine, Country Coach, Gulf Stream, Holiday Rambler, other (over many many months and seasons) and landed up buying a 1996 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser from the 2nd Owner, with pretty much all service records, manuals (not really important) and several upgrades including new custom cabinet up front for flat screen, custom new mount for flatscreen in bedroom (including flatscreens), Winegard Trav'ler SK-SWM3, upgraded Fantastic Vents, new frig in 2014, upgrade tall toilet, flooring (no carpet) etc. Toyo Tires had great thread and date codes from 2014, new coach and chassis batteries.

Many things we would have to add on several coaches we looked at over 14 month period (lost out on 2 coaches, we were the 2nd to look, 1st purchased each). We were the first on the Gulfstream, I was checking daily for new listings.

Our Budget was $35K cash and in the end paid less than 1/2 that.

You can pick up medium to high-end coaches from the late 90's to very early 2000's for some great prices.

I searched /read many forums over that period as well, sent many emails to manufacturers including chassis manufacturers (who are still around).

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #3

I wanted to add, I felt the Winnebago Expedition series was better built vs the Fleetwood of the era we looked at.

A 2001 Expedition (from original owner) was one we lost out to to the 1st couple to call/setup appt to see.
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 07-23-2017, 06:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Before you finalize any purchase, I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems.

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.

Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #5

I have owned 2 Fleetwood Discovery's and when you compare apples to apples in my opinion they are a decent bang for the buck.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #6

I consider the Discover and Monaco Diplomats to be two honest valued coaches. The Discover owner group is one of the most active I've seen.

I personally prefer Side Radiators over Rear, but many hundred of thousands of rear radiators are treating their owners well!

As mentioned, any coach can have a problem. So due diligence on inspection of house and chassis, and hopefully a full review of maintenance records, will tell you a good story on this unit. Price, no opinion, as I'm not up on them.

And I'll second that the Expedition and Providence, and even the American Coach built Revolutions - are better combo of chassis and house materials then the Discovery. That does not make the Discovery bad, it's a model in the lineup to reach a certain price point.

Best of luck them,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #7

I had a 2005 Discovery 39S. I had a 31 foot gasser and going to the diesel was a lot nicer rig driving. It had the Cat 330 and had plenty of power. We had it a couple of years and only had one problem. When we got ready to trade it the driver side slide started having problems coming in. All I had to do was lift the front of the slide about a quarter of an inch and it came right in. The slide was so close to the ground that all I needed was a cheap floor jack from walmart. The basement storage on that side is part of the slide and makes it very heavy. It seemed it was going out a little too far and was catching on the carpet coming back in. I think all it needed was a new teflon slider or adjusted to where it didn't go out as far. I traded it about two weeks later and told the dealer and he said no problem, easy fix. And all you have to do is call Fleetwood with your serial number and they will email you with the electrical and plumbing drawings for it.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #8

I bought a 2005 Discovery 39L 2 yrs ago and have been happy. Only 25k miles and problems have been mostly "rookie " mistakes.
- depended upon the broker/dealer to actually do something other than wash it for the $1600 prep fee, resulting in a full house electrical shutdown 10 miles into our first trip... lose and corroded house battery connections.
- fought with the Norcold for a while but now have it running well.
Hint - believe the service manual when it says the max off-level is 3 degrees L to R and 5 degrees curb to driver side. I also installed one of the ARPrv controller with a boiler temp display. Start up to 700 running ~620 to 650. Cold in 90 min.
Fit and finish are holding up well. Original owner kept under a shed, as I do.
Drives very well. I compare it to my Yukon XL fully loaded. Pull a '05 Honda Pilot with no problems.

I DID have to open the engine access and clean the CAC and radiator, after an overheat on I24 between Nashville and Chattanooga last yr. Just made the same run last week and temp never passed the top of the Normal range, even with 95 degree ambient temp.

We looked at a similar Winny with 75k mi., and missed it. It was a similar layout, but a few nicer trim finishes. Warning, solid surface counter cracks on most we saw at the galley sink. It had not been as upgraded - 2 LCDs, color LCD rear view, other user installed options. We feel that we did not settle the for the Discovery, but made a good decision.
Good Luck!
Barkhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I wanted to add, I felt the Winnebago Expedition series was better built vs the Fleetwood of the era we looked at.

A 2001 Expedition (from original owner) was one we lost out to to the 1st couple to call/setup appt to see.
Just for the record, the Expedition was/is a Fleetwood brand coach, not a Winnebago.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4331.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	169835

Purchased this '04 Discovery last fall. Coming from a gasser couldnt be happier

Like all rv's with a little tinkering we got it just how we like it
jddangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #11

We have a 2006 Discovery and couldn't be happier. The 05 is very similar.

Now for the price: Look at this web site for actual selling prices of like coaches. You will see $80,000 on the high side. In fact we didn't pay that much for our 2006 Discovery in excellent condition 3 years ago!

Just scroll down to the Discovery section and see what was paid. This is what I did when buying our coach. I presented the previous owner the list of prices of similar coaches and even other brands. He came down $15,000 to match the price since he didn't have any sound offers at his price.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/di...otor-homes.htm
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Just for the record, the Expedition was/is a Fleetwood brand coach, not a Winnebago.
yes, not sure what I was thinking (looked at so many), both Fleetwood.

I think the Winnebago was the 2001 Journey.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #13

Thanks all for the comments and especially the link to PPL. Looks like its a buyers market. I hope I dont have to sell mine soon.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #14

Price sounds high to me. I found a 06 bath an a half Revolution with 36k miles on it for our friends. They bought it in Feb. for $87k
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discovery, fleetwood