RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

Would you buy a fireplace again?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my last post of "Would you buy a dishwasher again." The overwhelming response was yes you would. Because of your responses we are going to order a dishwasher when we order the coach.

Because everyone has been so helpful I have another question; would you buy a fireplace again? If so, why? Do you use it a lot? Do you just turn on the flame without the heat, for ambience, or do you also turn on the heat with the flame? Do you use it just to take the chill off in the evening or do you use it to heat the room? Since we will order the coach with Aqua Hot do any of you have Aqua Hot or Oasis and a fireplace, if so, do you use your fireplace?

My wife wants the fireplace and I don't. Strangely enough I want the dishwasher and she doesn't. Your thoughts please.

skitcharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #2

Just put in a fireplace and a dishwasher. Perhaps we are behind the times. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4745.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	251492Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4718.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	251493

mhhorowi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:23 PM   #3

The coach we just bought doesnít have one so itís not a deal breaker item for me, but if I were ordering Iíd get it as I enjoyed using it in the early mornings to heat the living room up while DW slept.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #4

Both of our coaches have had a fireplace. They work great for warming up a room on a cool morning or evening without running the heat full blast.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #5

We had two in our last 5er, we would NOT buy them again. All they are is a 1,500W electric heater with an artificial log inside. We would instead save that space and use it for storage, then carry a stand-alone electric heater,so we could move it wherever we desired some added heat on a chilly morning.
The brand we had issued a recall on them due to fires starting at the plug, which is hidden from view.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #6

I installed a fireplace in our fifth wheel 2 years ago and we use it mostly to heat the place up in the morning. I mounted the fireplace on drawer tracks so I can still access the shelves that were in the cabinet and added a strap to keep it secure on travel days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireplace strap.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	251502  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"skitcharoo"......In our 2014 Dutch Star, that we bought off the lot, it came wit a fireplace. At first we laughed and thought it was a novelty. That quickly ended when we realized at how well it heated the coach. It was also convenient. No need to drag out an electric heater. Ours had a remote and on a chilly morning, we would just turn it on and take the chill off of the room. I like to sleep without forced air heat, like the Aqua Hot or heat pump running. By turning on the fireplace when we went to bed, the heat would migrate into the bedroom and keep it warm without blasting on and off like the other units.

Now here is one caveat. Our 2019 came with the fireplace as part of our floorplan. It works the same as out last one, but we also ordered heated tile floors. The heated floors are AMAZING for keeping a coach warm. We can keep the coach in the low 70's with the heated floors, even in 30 degree weather. You do have to turn them on and wait awhile for them to get warm, so on those days where we're surprised by a cold evening, the fireplace is still nice to use until the floors catch up.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #8

We would have both the dishwasher and the fireplace along with the heated floors. The fireplace is handy to "take the chill off" We use ours a lot in the mornings especially
Mooshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #9

NO

It really is nothing more than an over priced electric space heater imo. We do use it, but do not need it

I really like the gas fireplace in our stick house.
dandandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes I would and did. Our first Tiffin came with a fireplace and like Don I didn't think we would use it. Boy was I wrong. We used it all the time in cold weather and found it kept the living area warm without using propane. When we ordered our second Tiffin, that was the first requirement. We debated about heated floors and wound up ordering them too. That was another great choice. With the fireplace and heated floors, we have been in 20 degree weather and the furnace hardly ever came on. It is sure nice to get up in the night and step on warm floors instead of ice cold tile.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:38 PM   #11

I'm surprised! Most people I have talked to would rather have the cabinet space. Its nice to see that people are enjoying the fireplaces.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Put us in the yes we would do it again for all of the reason stated. I know it is nothing more that a 1500 watt heater but I also like the ambience that comes with the fireplace. Hard to explain but in the winter time, having it on, seems more "like home". Kind of funny because we full time and it is our home. Some will understand what I mean.

Oh, and if you can get heated floors, heck yes.
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:13 AM   #13
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have one in our '16 Canyon Star. We have used it some, but I am not sure that it is worth the money they cost. How much is propane? That said, it does add an interesting affect to the living room on a cool/cold morning - especially if I am not having to pay the electric bill.
If I ordered a new coach? Likely not unless the sales guy included it in the total package price
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #14

Fireplace has been and is the most used item in our MH and in the 5th wheels prior

If you only camp in 90 degrees or warmer then don't get it

Tags
ace, fire, replace