Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #29
When buying used you probably only get a 30 day warranty....not long enough to find and have them fix all of the little or big cost items, I didn't and it cost me more than what a policy would have cost. My motorhome had only 10.000 miles so I thought I was wasting my money by buying a 1 or 2 year policy......big mistake, the dealer here charges $120 an Hr. and the repair bill add's up fast...somethings you can fix yourself and some are better to have serviced for the warranty (LOL)

bearpawpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #30
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We are looking at a pre-owned 05 DP that only has 8200 miles on it. I am insisting on part of the deal being a 4 year warranty that covers the drive train and chassis since there are no maintenance records. Too little use in a brand new Cat and chassis are to risky without it since the engine and chassis waranties are expired. I am not concerned with the box, but if there is a problem with the drive train or chassis, the warranty will be worth every penny. If there were a reasonable amount of use with maintenance records, I would probably _not_ do the warranty.

Randy (WB5TEY) and Diane Blair
Texas Boomers, FMCA #366366 SKP #91936
'03 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PWD
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #31
Tom have you had any experience with RV Procare you have commented on some time ago? I purchased it and now find out they are out of business.
furman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
I bought a 10 year old coach in Indiana and drove it home to Oregon (2400 miles). I signed up for an extended warranty and canceled it when I got home. Better than getting stuck far from home with a broken RV.
2000 Dynasty 40' Regent, Cummins ISC 350
2012 Ford Edge toad
CoPilot: Vicki, 2 greyhounds: Hope & Dora
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #33
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Looking at the Good Sam warranty I noticed something that was kinda a red flag. On the refer, you must take it in to be cleaned and serviced once a year for the warranty to be in effect. I do all my on mtc but that doesn't count. You have to pay somebody to clean the burner, check for wap nest, etc. I'll take my chances.
That's what the factory warranty is on a refer, doing it yourself doesn't count. It must be done at a certified service center
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #34
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bought one on a Honda Accoprd, never used it but luckily I could get my money back due to that. Bought one on our 2000 DSDP, didn't use it so wasted the money, Bought one on a used '97 Jeep GC (125,000 miles on it), didn't use it either. Have never purchased one on a washer, dryer or anything else. so far we did have to have the new (one week old) stove worked on, no charge as it has a one year warranty and it's extended to two by Costco.
So far on the 2002 DSDP we've never had anything fail that a service policy (they're not "warranties" no matter what the name is) would have covered anyway. A warranty can only be extended by the manufacturer of the vehicle or product, everything else is a contract to provide service IF certain conditions are met.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #35
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would purchase the warranty unless you had the coach independently and professionally inspected. I think both opinions can make sense and require good luck to some degree on both sides of the decision.

If you buy it and it doesn't break for anything covered you can say 'insurance' and feel okay that you had it, just in case, but you will know you spent the money and didn't get the value, and if you buy it and need to use it and they are 'upright' and cover it (if it's coverable) then you'll feel like you did the right thing also...

We bought a much older (14 years) coach that overall was great, we paid for a 1 year extended and it paid for itself with some covered repairs and a bit more - most were nuisance problems but real problems so it really did work - we read the "what's not covered" pretty well. We were fortunate maybe or maybe not but we feel it was a good way to address concerns we had without having it inspected.

We also bought from a 'dealer' in order to have some of their reputation and such to support the sale. We didn't pay $3K but about half of that. It was not Good Sam which worried me however they did follow the contract and did cover things which was helpful for us.

I would buy it.
1997 Fleetwood Southwind 35LS - Ford F53 Chassis - Life is a Journey and Everyone Should Enjoy Theirs
Firstpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #36
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the insurance companies didn't make money, they wouldn't be selling the policies. I decided not and just keep enough 'insurance' money laid back to cover repairs as needed. Make sure you do pm's as needed and you will have lots fewer problems.

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH Diesel Pusher, TireTraker TPMS
'08 Honda CRV Protect-a-Tow
burfurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My last post was two years ago. We have needed to use our extended warranty on a few more occasions. Basement air, engine starter, slide leak, to name a few. We are covered untill 2014, so far very glad we got the coverage. I have been keeping track of the problems we've had and to date our problems exceed the premium. It adds up fast at $80 to $100 dollars an hour!
06 Adventurer 38R

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #38
Fleetwood Owners Club
While extended warranty may indeed be a gamble, in my case I have always bought them. I had Good Sam for several years and only used the warranty a couple of times but it saved me a lot as the things repaired or replaced were big ticket items. I now have one with another company and have used it on two occasions for fairly large repairs and I can say, for me, I am glad to have bought the warranty. Just these two repairs has been equal to over 40% of my cost for the warranty. In the end, you have to decide which route you want to go. While I hope I never need the warranty again, it is reassuring to me to have it if I need it. John 2006 Monarch 30 PPD
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #39
We just picked up a used 07. Interestingly the bank financing offered a .4% reduction in the interest rate if an extended warranty plan was purchased.

Dealer started at $3000 for 7 yrs / 50,000 miles, we negotiated it down to 1500 dollars. With the .4% reduction in interest, it was an easy choice for an additional piece of mind.
swreeder70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Got the Teeshirt...

Originally Posted by Zbugsii View Post
I do not think they are worth the money...
Roger that. I accepted a transferable Good Sam ESP and paid into it for a year, nearly $1,200.

Well, when I filed a $200 claim for a drag link replacement, Good Scam claimed it was worn due to the infamous cracked boot problem that plagues Spartan chassis, and they refused to pay.

You'll hear a lot of stories like that, here.

BTW, Good Sam refuses to answer the Better Business Bureau complaint filed on our behalf, too!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #41
I recommend purchasing the warranty. Just read the exclusions as some companies are better than others. You are buying it for the "big" (trans., axle, engine, etc..) things not the small repairs. Also if the dealer is reputable and has been in business for a while they typically do thier homework and sell a policy that is backed by a good company. Since you purchased your unit used and have no way of knowing exactly how the previous owner used the rig or maintained it. I believe it is well worth the $3,000. If I gave you $3,000 to cover my rig for 4yrs parts and labor would you do it? If you had to use it once on a big repair it paid for itself. My .02.
TM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have been wondering about and Extended Warranty or Breakdown Insurance Policy.

Went to Good Sam and downloaded their sample Break Down Insurance Policy. While it covers most, if not all of the the high dollar items the loopholes in their policy seem to be a bit of a minefield. I've listed below the ones I find most concerning

Any pre-existing problems that are present prior to the purchase of this Coverage whether known or unknown. The condition of the covered part(s) in question will be assessed to determine time of initial breakdown. I've been in the material testing and engineering business most of my adult life. Who will make this failure analysis and what will their qualifications be?

Damage to a non-covered part by a covered part(s) or to a covered part by a non-covered part(s) failure. Seems like this could be a long daisy chain of problems.

Any loss caused by any alterations not meeting manufacturer's specifications. I would hope this is limited to alterations of the failed/covered component or system and not any or alterations made to the motorhome.

The replacement of an entire system due to obsolescence or unavailability of the failed covered part(s). Could be an issue for owners of coaches built by now bankrupt manufacturers or older coaches.

On a positive note it doesn't appear to limit coverage to the first failed covered component.

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote