Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Would you buy an extended warranty on used coach?

Hi all. We are looking forward to getting to know you and picking your brains on all sorts of questions.
We pick up our new to us RV on Saturday. Just trading up from a much older, 28 foot Class C to a 2003 - 34 foot Class A, so I know we will have lots to learn.
One thing we still haven't made up our minds about. We have until Saturday morning to decide if we want to purchase (for $3000 incl taxes) an extended warrantee for four years. It has a $200 deductible on any repairs.
Have any of you bought these types of warrantees or not bought and wish that you had.
Any input would be appreciated as we are going around in circles on this.
Thanks,
Anne and Gib

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I do not think they are worth the money. I would save the money and put it away for any repairs.

I find these extended warranties can find all sorts of reasons why they should not pay the claims... Then you have to fight long and hard to get any monies out of them...

Especially in this economy... they are pretty good at finding ways to say it is not covered because of this or that or because you did this or that...

My $0.02 worth.

Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just purchased a new coach this spring, We didn't even consider it since the coach was an 05, figured we would just take our chances and make whatever repairs that might happen should it occur.
I've never been one for extended warranties.

Good luck with your new purchase and I hope it serves you well for many miles!

Regards,

RovinOn
05 Southwind 37C
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Very few will come out ahead with these warranty's, they usually have conditions that will exclude most of hat you'll be having repaired. Save your money, $3,000 will do a lot of work.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the replies

To this point we have always turned down the extended warranties, when offered, on appliances, electronics, and such. Always felt that any problems would surface in the first year or so and after a few years replacement costs are not much more than we would have spent on the extra coverage.

This is a whole lot more money though, so thought we might consider it. But, come to think of it, we had our last unit - 1992 Jamboree Class C - from '96 until the present and only replaced tires (which are not covered by warranty), had some dash air work done (again the warranty only covers coach a/c), and under $200 for a replacement part for the fridge.

Guess we are just nervous about all the extras we have now, especially the slides, levellers, and all the electronics that are new to us.

Just needed to hear some of you tell us what I think we suspected all along - save the money on the warranty in the hopes that not too many big ticket items go wrong.

Seems like a beautifully cared for coach and we are really excited about picking it up on Saturday.

Thanks for your help,

Anne and Gib
Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #6

Yes. Good Sam warranty on a 2004 Winnie Vectra. So far I'm about 50% on getting them to cover claims.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
We were very nervous too, since we went from a tent to a 36' MH.

Our dealer said he would sell us one(about $3500), but we would be better served to put the $$ in the bank.

We still have $2950 in the bank 5 years later. Knock on wood.

If you don't buy one, we hope your experience will be like ours.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:33 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigenna View Post
Any input would be appreciated as we are going around in circles on this.
Thanks,
Anne and Gib
Get the extended.

Buy from a reputably company, read the fine print and make sure it covers all of the major things.

Ours expired in April and on this long July trip to Utah the house air went out. $1500.00 to replace the condenser fan motor, and some fan bearings,relays and capacitors.

Before the warranty expired it had covered numerous items such as; two brake failures, two dash air compressors, fan motor, house water pump, and a few other items I can't recall.

Your new purchase at 6 years old, the extended warranty just might be a good investment.

JMHO

Ron

PS I just looked at yout stats and it looks like your coach is on a Workhorse. Please visit the Workhorse Forum and also the Winnebago Forum, lots of good people and advise.

__________________________________________________ _________________
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We purchased a used '04 (see signature) with 55,000 miles. Have done trailers for years but this was the first MH. We did a one year extended breakdown policy and should know the condition of all the systems at that time.
Cost was just over $1,000.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normally... I do not care for extended warranties....... But I'm going to tell you a short story:

Several years ago I went computer shopping: Got a VPR Matrix that had been returned to the store (Traded in for an upgrade) Physical inspection noted some physical damage.. The kind of damage that might be caused if a frustrated user hammered it with his fist... I got the extended warranty.

Took it home.. Took it back a week later and got a new mother board. Warranty money well spent.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Soooo.....

the count is :

4 against
1 for
3 not sure

Still leaning towards not getting the warranty as there seems to be too much wiggle room for the insurance companies to us to get out of paying for a claim.
Sure picking up a lot of useful information from this forum. Thanks for all the input. 'Hubby is quite handy, so he will likely be able to handle the smaller stuff and even possibly with all the info here be able to diagnose some of the bigger things.

Thanks again
Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #12

To me the gamble on extended warranty is about the really expensive things that need to be repaired ... for instance either the transmission or engine failure ... those are very expensive to repair ...

the other items that might need to be repaired such as appliances, awnings, etc. are things that you can repair for less than the cost of the warranty ...

This gives you yet another perspective on extended warranties ...

I have extended warranties on very few things we own ... definitely not on our motorhome ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not normally a fan of these plans, but we bought one for our used diesel pusher and just passed the break even point on it with another 15 months to go. My reasoning when we bought it was that a high end diesel coach has a lot of very expensive things that can go wrong, so there is a risk worth insuring. Engine or tranny work can easily run $5000-10,000 on a diesel and electronics failures are also expensive. As it truns out, we did not yet have any major (or even minor) engine repairs, but have had to replace or rebuild numerous electronics items, e.g. inverter, transfer switch, washer control board, battery charge controller, etc. Have also has several air suspesnion repairs. These have no equaled out to the price of the warranty.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roamer.. Save that for you it was an RV and for me a computer.

That was the point of my story. Yup. You need to think "How much will I have to fix" v/s "how much will this cost me"