Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Taking a look...

This weekend we have an appointment to look at a 2006 Monaco Diplomat with 5,000 miles and an asking price of $130,000 which is negotiable. We had the service department check the engine serial number and it is one of the potential bad engines. The dealer said that he would not sell a motorhome with recalls that are not taken care of. He wants us to look it over. If we like it he will start checking with Cummins to see what can be done. He knows that we will not accept a coach with issues that are not resolved.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Just food for thought. If you do buy it and it is a know potential problem, any aftermarket extended warranty/service contract company might deny a claim based on known problems.

They have people that research potential big repair bill items looking for a way out!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to PJGMG
As I read thru many of the posts, it appears my 2008 Safari/Cheetah does not fall within those serial #'s..

AZloafer, curious why you are not buying another Safari.. I am new to this forum, so any info you can provide would be great.

TIA
Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #18

AZ- you might be onto a catch22. An early 06 coach w/5k on the clock may run out of 100k or 5 year after first date of sale warranty (IIRC that's the Cummins warranty) before the early-fail mileage is passed. If I was looking at a 15k mileage coach, I wouldn't be worried; its past the point where the wrist pin stuff fails and that's not a self-destructing engine. If the rig had such low miles the recall problem might still show up & TKO the engine, and there's no after-coverage by Cummins, there isn't an aftermarket warranty I'd feel comfortable with on this very expensive potential problem.

Remember, Cummins can perform the "recall" which consists only of a solution to monitor for the real problem of engine blowing up. That doesn't cover the engine blowing up necessarily. I'd be looking for assurance on the later. If the engine was well over the fatal window mileage, its just another used rig, and make of the engine serial# what you can. Possible solution- Cummins may make the statement they'll cover these engines for that failure regardless of the 5 years. In that case, you're good.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
The Safari Simba (all years) has a total of 5 recall issues, three minor issues and two major issues. All of which are not fixed free of charge by Monaco due to the bankruptcy. The two major issues involve the trailing arms breaking and the cab structure causing the windshields to fail. When I purchased my Simba I wasn't educated enough to research recalls. I assumed that a dealer wouldn't sell a coach with problems like this. I was quoted $1500 for the trailing arms and $3,000 plus installation for the cab structure improvements to prevent the windshield from breaking. I also took into consideration that the ride is bad due to only four shocks and four air bags. The coaches that I am considering have 8 of each and I have been told that there is a night and day difference in handling.

Let's assume that I put five or six thousand into the coach and still have the poor suspension. Have I gained much? Not enough to keep it...in my opinion. Add-ons to the suspension (I have been told by others) may help, but do not work miracles. I had my windshield fail in the first 200 miles. The former owner contacted me and said that he went through 3 windshields while he had it. Everything considered, we have decided to trade this one in. The coach that I am looking at has two minor issues and one major issue being the engine. If it turns out that the dealer cannot get the engine fixed BEFORE we make the purchase, we will pass it up and look for one that has the engine serial number outside of the recall numbers . It is confusing at this point in time because one recall notice says that the engine will be repaired free of charge and another says that only a warning device will be installed. Some have been told that if the engine were to fail it would be in the first thousand miles. Others were told it might make it to 10 thousand. One person told me that a Cummins rep said that, because of the recall, there is no mileage or year limit placed on the engine if it fails due to the problems mentioned in the recall. So, I have written Cummins, gave the dealer a heads up and will take it one step at a time until this issue is solved and we have a different coach.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
As a side note, I enter sweepstakes as a hobby. Two weeks after we purchased this coach, I won first prize in a Camping World/Fox Broadcasting Sweep. The prize is a $40,000 Colorado 5th wheel which is on order from the factory. So I will be trading two campers in when I make the purchase. This is the most valuable prize that I have ever won. Now I just have to find the "coach of my dreams"
Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #21

AZ- IIWY, I'd win a bigger sweepstakes. That'd solve the whole problem.
Until then, you are on a good tack.
You can probably get faster response from Cummins by calling their Coburg, OR, shop. These are the guys who delivered the engines to Monaco and who do a whale of a lot of coach engine service. 800-777-0336 and ask the same stuff as in your letter.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to PJGMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
As a side note, I enter sweepstakes as a hobby. Two weeks after we purchased this coach, I won first prize in a Camping World/Fox Broadcasting Sweep. The prize is a $40,000 Colorado 5th wheel which is on order from the factory. So I will be trading two campers in when I make the purchase. This is the most valuable prize that I have ever won. Now I just have to find the "coach of my dreams"

I wish you the best in your next purchase. Its good that you are doing your due diligence and receiving feedback from members who have insights and experiences that they can share.

Hopefully someday I will be able to add some value.

Please take your time and get EVERYTHING in writing... Congrats on your 5th wheel.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Checked warranty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
AZ- you might be onto a catch22. An early 06 coach w/5k on the clock may run out of 100k or 5 year after first date of sale warranty (IIRC that's the Cummins warranty) before the early-fail mileage is passed. If I was looking at a 15k mileage coach, I wouldn't be worried; its past the point where the wrist pin stuff fails and that's not a self-destructing engine. If the rig had such low miles the recall problem might still show up & TKO the engine, and there's no after-coverage by Cummins, there isn't an aftermarket warranty I'd feel comfortable with on this very expensive potential problem.

Remember, Cummins can perform the "recall" which consists only of a solution to monitor for the real problem of engine blowing up. That doesn't cover the engine blowing up necessarily. I'd be looking for assurance on the later. If the engine was well over the fatal window mileage, its just another used rig, and make of the engine serial# what you can. Possible solution- Cummins may make the statement they'll cover these engines for that failure regardless of the 5 years. In that case, you're good.
I spent the last 45 minutes reading the entire extended warranty that I have now, which can be transferred to a new coach. It has a section that lists changes/additions in the warranty for each state. The section for Arizona says that pre-existing conditions will not void or cause cancellation of the warranty. It does have the means to avoid paying on pre-existing conditions ONLY if they cause a claim to be filed within the first 30 days AND the first 1,000 miles. After that "pre-existing conditions" does not apply. So I guess if a coach breaks down in that initial period and it is deemed "pre-existing" I am not covered. If I were to make the 30 days AND 1,000 miles I should be OK. Of course I am not going to depend on this clause, but you peeked my interest.

Next, I am going to call Cummins in Coburg, OR as was suggested.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Is your coach engine serial number outside of the recall numbers? Certain '07 Diplomats were under the same recall as the '06's that I am looking at. Engine serial number range from 46543077 to 46603939.
Yes, I made sure of that I am in the 46658 batch. You can email DiMartini to check the serial numbers on any of there stock that you may be interested in. I am on my 4th RV and these people by far are the best to deal with.

Good luck with your search. and congrats!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Unhappy Results of call to cummins...

The serial number indicated that the owner of this coach did follow the procedure as far as having the special valve cover installed. Of course, by now everyone knows that it just sends a warning to the dash so that the engine could be turned off as soon as possible thereby keeping the amount of damage down. At that point Cummins will fix the engine. The warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. It starts in the month the first owner takes possession. In this case it started in June of 2006. That leaves about 1-1/2 years of warranty left. After the warranty expires there is no longer any coverage, even though there was a recall. Since my wife still works, we would be weekenders for the next couple years. This low mileage use might allow a bad engine to last well into the time when there would be no warranty. A rebuilt engine, at today's prices, runs about $18,000. There are some engine only warranty products sold, but I was told that they may be worthless due to the recall info that all warranty companies have knowledge of. It is taking too big of a chance. After giving this some thought, we have decided to pass on this coach. They get coaches in all the time and may get one with a good serial number in the near future.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #26

IIWYI'd definitely follow up w/DeMartini. Heard nothing but good things about them, and they sold piles of new Monacos so they know the product well. They also get the inside track on a variety of bank repos precisely because they move inventory fast. If you strike a deal and want me to take a look at the coach, I'm about 25 min. from their shop; send me a PM in that case.