Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
I would loan my mh to my oldest son who drives a big truck, and my granddaughter who pulls a 40 ft horse trailer. My other son and daughter I will loan it to them after giving some driving lessons. I would also loan it to my best friend who pulls a tt. I trust my kids with whatever I own. Material things just do not have the impotance to me that memories have. Its not my children and friend that I have to worry about, it the other drivers.
I agree with you.

My current RV is a 2010 35 ft class A on a Workhorse Chassis with 3 slides
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	10062   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	10063  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #170

No way ever.........to anyone

Old 05-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #171

Monaco Owners Club
After thinking on this again I would lend to my brother in law. He knows how to drive and operate all the goodies. And the most thing he his a responsible person. More than my own brothers.
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
There is a BIG difference between a $250,000 to $500.000, 40', 4 slide, diesel pusher and a class B or class C motorhome. I would be "more apt" to loan a van style class B than a diesel pusher. Although, many years ago when I was asked to loan my pickup and camper to some friends of a friend, I said " I'm sorry, but no...".

So, for those that would loan a rig, you should qualify just what type of rig it is that you would loan?
Your replay sir belittles the value of a van style class b vs. a pusher. Money wise there is a big difference, but the perceived value of item can be just a great to the owner of a class b who scrimped pennies vs. someone who came into money the easy way and plopped down a pile of dough for the first 40' RV they saw.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #173

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Your replay sir belittles the value of a van style class b...
Only in your mind... not in mine.

The price range mentioned for a diesel pusher was intended to define the size and type of vehicle not, necessarily, the cost. However, that in fact, would be a concern to me if I had $250k-$500k invested in a motorhome.

The point was that it is easier to drive a Class B or Class C than it is to maneuver a 40' motor home. In the past I have rented a Class C for a vacation. No one showed me anything about driving it, it was like driving a stakebed truck. Anyone can do that.

A 40' diesel pusher has systems and options that can be damaged if not operated properly, by an inexperienced user... levelors, slideouts, antennas. Travelling down a long grade can do extensive damage if not done properly with the transmission, exhaust brakes, and service brakes. Not maintaing the proper tire air pressure can be catastrophic with a 30,000# vehicle. I could go on with more and better examples, but I think you get my point.

And, by the way, at one time I considering the purchase of a $170,000 Class B... but it still drove like a van.

There are, expensive Class B's and C's out there.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #174

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I agree. I've owned a class C and have test driven a class B. They drive nothing like a Class A and that is why I won't just let anyone use it. You must be trained to drive it!

Dan
Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #175

There's a saying in the insurance industry that might serve you well: when you lend your car you are also lending your insurance. You might easily shade that a bit to say 'the insurance won't allow it.'
Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Henrick, I bet you did not think that you would get this much discussion on this topic. Enjoy a cold one for me.

Ken
Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Your replay sir belittles the value of a van style class b vs. a pusher. Money wise there is a big difference, but the perceived value of item can be just a great to the owner of a class b who scrimped pennies vs. someone who came into money the easy way and plopped down a pile of dough for the first 40' RV they saw.
Me personally did not sell anything,steal,or inherited the money for my rig and I was just as proud of my 1994 suncruiser as I am this one. To me it's not the value I just don't loan it's much easier that way.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #178

heck NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #179

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf7 View Post
I agree. I've owned a class C and have test driven a class B. They drive nothing like a Class A and that is why I won't just let anyone use it. You must be trained to drive it!

Dan
I suppose that depends on the type of C or A..

I rented a 30" Itasca C on a ford 450 (V-10) chassis and did a 3000 mile loop of the southwest USA..CO, NM, AZ, NV, UT, CO... Underpowered in the mountains, and swayed all over the road with wind and passing vehicles...WHEW! what an adventure..Similar to the C's I looked at when I contemplated buying one

My Alpine A drives like my car...Longer, but well powered, and as stable as anything I have ever driven. Once you learn how to maneuver the length its all good!

I would say my A is "easier" and far less tiring to drive that the C's I have experience with. Thats why I bought one!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #180

Monaco Owners Club
Living Proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Only in your mind... not in mine...

Interesting thread, and I can offer the benefit of personal experience.

I borrowed a Class C from neighbors to serve as a base of operations when DW was treasurer for the local Susan Komen Walk For A Cure 10 miles from our house.

Not having ever driven a Class A, it was no stretch to maneuver the big Class C around, park it at the event. I'd rented moving trucks, this was no different.

Well, gang, I recently bought a Class A diesel pusher, and feel like I should've taken a two-week course to operate the thing! Holy cow, is there a lot to bite your rump, with these big rigs. That's coming from a guy who flies heavy jets for a living, too!

I'd still maintain that none of us should loan out a C, B or A for overnight trips. But, the difference between loaning an A versus the others is that with a B or C there is at least a small chance the rig will come back home unscathed.

As for dirty carpets, soiled compartments, plumbing trauma, electrical mismanagement, and all the other "house" issues, all classes would probably suffer at the same rate.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #181

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post

I borrowed a Class C from neighbors to serve as a base of operations when DW was treasurer for the local Susan Komen Walk For A Cure 10 miles from our house.

I'd still maintain that none of us should loan out a C, B or A for overnight trips.
By this logic your neighbor should not have let you borrow theirs....
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #182

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
By this logic your neighbor should not have let you borrow theirs....

True!!