Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #43
No way. I have 3 Harleys and learned many years ago not to even let someone sit on one. A friend one time at the bar wanted to sit on my custom chopper and get his picture taken. I let him and he dumped it on the pavement doing $2,000 in damages to the bike and broke his leg. Not only did he not pay me for the damage but wanted me to pay for his Dr. bills! Needless to say we are no longer friends.... No good deed goes unpunished....

Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #44
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am in the same situations as the Danish fellows, Often asked to borrow.
I did borrow the RV from my frends a few years ago and traveled with it trough AK.
The big difference: My frend was there to "give it out" , explain ant take it in again.
You would need a kind of agency to give out and take in your camper.
That agency also would be responsible for insurance etc.
It is more that a suitcase you trow in the back of a car.
As I don't have an agency nor do I want Sara to bother with it, I don't lend it out.
But it is for sale in a few years (late 2013 - I first want to go to (trough) the other part of the (lower) USA again).

Europe: Hobby 495 TT (caravan 1994) and Chevy Tahoe 5.3 (2004)
USA: Fleedwood Tioga 24D (2005)
I am at http://aprs.fi/?call=pa0gri-10&mt=ro...imerange=86400
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #45
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming
Would you lend out your motorhome to friends for say 2 weeks for their holiday? I am talking about lending it out to friends - not close family like f.x. son or daughter.

Our motorhome sits idle for long periods of time because we are visitors in the US. We are not resident. During the time where we are not using the MH we frequently get asked by fellow Danes if they could use our MH for their next 2 week vacation and so far I have refused.

I don't consider my self to be mean but there are a couple of things that would worry me sick if I were to lend my MH out to friends. Firstly - the majority of them have not driven anything larger than a mid size car before, and a motorhome with a toad is a lot bigger. OK - at some point we started driving a MH ourselves but we had month to learn how to navigate "the beast" around tight corners and if something went wrong it was our property and our expense.

If we were to lend out the MH and something unpleasant hit the fan (you know what I mean) the lender would not know how to fix it or where to turn to have it done. They also wouldn't have the time because they are only there for a couple of weeks so we would turn up having to make arrangements to get things back to working order.

I can come up with a ton of reasons why lending your MH out to unexperienced people is not a good idea, but am I just being overprotective?

Are you ever asked by friends to lend out your "pride and joy" and what is your response?
No, no, no. Did I say, no?

I'm cringing just thinking about YOUR MH being loaned out let alone mine.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #46
I borrowed my dads "baby" once 15 years ago. He gave me a 2hr walk thru on how to use it and what not to touch. It was the only time he let anyone use it.( it was also the only time I asked). He made it clear if I broke it I was to fix it. I did have to replace the belts during the trip. He was on the phone to me twice+ a day making sure I was doing as ordered. He worried about it 24/7 for the 4 days I had it. I made sure it was cleaned washed and waxed when I brought it back. It is now mine and still in great shape. There is no one I trust well enough to let let use it even my own son.
Have Flyrod Will Travel
87 Coachman Leprechaun
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #47
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NO WAY ...
I have taken those who travel with me to a church lot to practice a little bit just in case something happened.
As I tell everyone I am the captain .. deal with it lol
2011 Allegro 32CA \ 2013 CRV toad
Previous:2007 Winnebago Class C
99' Winnebago Adventurer /Towables
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #48
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody that would ask must have a lot of gall. Would I ask to borrow your wife? I think the answer would be the same. Anyway mine is the best and I don't need the aggrivation of training a new one. I'M NOT SURE THIS ONE IS TRAINED.
Lending your RV would be a great way to ruin your day. I have taken my RV to a campground and set it up so my kids and grandkids could have a great holiday. I take it where it goes and return it home myself. I would be worried sick if somebody else was at the wheel.
You can be sure that if somebody borrowed it, it would break, wrinkle, scratch, burp, fart or something and i would shed tears.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #49
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll go against the majority here.

I would let them borrow mine....provided that if anything....ANYTHING, no matter how minor (toilet plugs up, flat tire, any leaks, stains in carpet/couch/bed etc., scratches, dings, rock chips (you see where I'm going with this ??)) happens, they get the wonderful option of buying me a BRAND NEW 40-foot, 4-slide diesel pusher).

'Nuff said.

And just for the record, I do NOT even let ANYONE use my beater 1/2-ton pickup....
Lou & Cheri - Pilot & Copilot
Aly & Susi - Miniature Schnauzer Navigator & Bombadier
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27 - CG-1 Bomber
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #50
Monaco Owners Club
Nope...wouldn't do it unless they already have extensive RV experience...and even then it would have to be a very special case.

Too many things can go wrong. I shudder to think of all the silly (and costly) mistakes we made when we first started out...and we were being *careful*. So for that reason alone it would be no.
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #51
Did it 3 times with a Winnie Class C many years ago and 2 of them turned out bad. One party drove too close to a dump station barrier and it ripped off the exposed dump valve and related black pipe. Fortunately, after they had dumped. Other engaged a pole or something and bent the back bumper so much it had to be replaced. Our current Class A is OURs only.
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #52

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I would say yes to my fifth wheel, but they would have to provide their own tow vehicle and go to a certified truck driving school. Don't think I'd have any takers.
'10 Forest River Sierra 300RL 5th & 12 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - SK3 70-72 Go Navy!
Georgie-boxer mix, Skippy-Jack russell and Ollie.
Glassalley52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Can't, won't, it's R HOME so if I did, then I would have to rent a motel or hotel room in the meantime, now that doesn't make much sense does it.

I have had guests stay in it but never move it. I'm the ONLY one that gets behind the wheel and turns the key. And that goes for when it needs service too. I will do the jockeying of the coach to bring it into the service bay and back out.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #54

National RV Owners Club
My sister and her Husband are coming to Albuquerque this year for the Balloon Festival and will be staying in our coach because they want to experience the RV, they are playing with the idea of getting one but have never stayed in one. I'm driving it to the park and setting it up with her husband watching/helping to get a feel for it. I'm also driving it home afterward. That is as far as I will go. They will be local and if something goes wrong or if they have questions I'm just a few miles away and they will call.

The fact that they are very wealthy, more than just well off, and my brother-in-law has been a friend of mine since before they were married, I introduced them, has a lot to do with it.

As far as loaning it to anyone for a trip the answer is a resounding NO!

1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #55
My Dad instilled in me the idea that to lend something is to give it away. If it is returned, wonderful, but maintain expectations of "return in original condition." If I borrow something it must be returned in better condition than it was received, or replaced.
My children, and grandchildren are freely offered anything I have. I receive the greatest pleasure knowing they are enjoying things I can share with them. Nothing has greater value to me than my children and grandchildren, so if something were to happen to the MH, oh well, as long as they are safe and happy. Having lived through the Northridge Earthquake, and watching my house and all inside destroyed, I tend to have a lesser appreciation of personal items.
Now, as for a friend. I only have a very, very few friends I look upon as true family. They are family to me.
Others: I would absolutely not loan or rent my RV out to them. It would be the end of a friendship.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #56
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short answer to this one,,,, Nope!
My coach and my 2nd home, you don't learn to operate them overnight!

Going down that long lonesome highway,Bound for the mountains and the plains
Michael Parks / Then Came Bronson - 1969
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote