Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #113

I would say no. Even IF the insurance covered them. Think about stopping for fuel with a 50 + Ft. rig, turning corners, backing it in, watching for head room. You need a lot of experience to do all that and most people have no idea what it takes or what to do or how to judge the situation. That's like having a gun & booze party. What could go wrong?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #114

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No way. I think anyone asking to borrow your coach is going way too far!!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #115

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
True Barney. I have a total of TWO friends I would put in the circle with a small number of family members I feel would be capable. With those folks I would take the time to train them on driving and CG operation. And I would loan it to them "just to go have fun" in too.

Many of the responses so far seem to have centered around "I worked hard to buy mine... go buy your own"... or not wanting to risk a friendship due to fear of not being able to reach agreement on who pays if something goes wrong. I would not have those concerns.

The title of the thread has drawn some good, generic discussion but as far as the situation the OP is in... I can see no way it would work for him. Having an ocean between me and my coach would be a show stopper.

Rick
Hey Rick, I do agree with you...But on another subject..I am a bit jealous of your being in Arizona.....NICE..enjoy
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #116

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
I would say no. Even IF the insurance covered them. Think about stopping for fuel with a 50 + Ft. rig, turning corners, backing it in, watching for head room. You need a lot of experience to do all that and most people have no idea what it takes or what to do or how to judge the situation. That's like having a gun & booze party. What could go wrong?
I love the last line!!!!!! As I said earlier no to driving it. They haven't practiced. I' d drive it to a campground for a close friend/ family member to use. Then I'd drive back in my toad with the keys! If someone lost their house to a fire I'd let someone live in it sure. Drive it...NEVER!
Dan
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #117

Winnebago Owners Club
Noooooooooooooo way!

Back in the 80's we had a 35 foot Itasca. I became ill and was sick for months with no end in site. I'll shorten the story...

We didn't know what would happen. The coach was just sitting in storage. We saw an ad in the newspaper that said a company would rent your unused coach to a person who would make the payments for the rent. They were to check their credit and have them pay $5,000 to start the rental. We had a contract that covered us if it was damaged or if the payments were not paid.

Everything went fine for several months and then the renter started missing payments. We tried to get the coach back, but the renter took it to some unknown location. The loan company hired a firm to track it down and found that it was extremely damaged and had been in several accidents. When we attempted to collect from the rental company, we found that, without our knowledge, the rental firm was bankrupt. We were stuck with paying the loan that was left without ever getting the motorhome back because it had been virtually destroyed. It wasn't even drivable. In an attempt to evade the repo guys, the renter had driven over curbs and sideswiped trees, etc. The Attorney General prosecuted the rental company because so many people like us ended up losing their coaches. The prosecution didn't help us any. We would never do that again even if we couldn't use it for some reason. We should have just sold it at the time. NO...don't rent it out!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

That stinks Joe! Good advice but a much different situation than the "loan to family/friends". I even hate letting the guys drive it back to the service bays when I take it to the shop! Not because they don't know how but because they might just not care.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #119

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no way I would lend my rig out. I am way too particular about things and would be upset at even minor scratches or damage. Of course, me and my family are perfectly capable of damaging things but it just seems different.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #120

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
This reminds me of a story regarding my ex-wife and her new husband. They had a class C and once when she was sharing the drive from NY to FL, she stopped for fuel and proceeded to take out a pump upon leaving the station.

I am thankful that she is my ex in so many ways.

Even current and ex-wives don't drive my coach. Hell, I don't even allow the service techs to drive regardless of where I have the service done. If they say, "sorry, can;t allow you to do that," I say sorry can't allow you to take my money and will find another service center.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #121

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never a lender nor borrower be! Words of wisdom from my Grandfather. In my younger days, I borrowed a tool, not an expensive brand,but it broke. I replaced it. finished job and realized I bought a tool but still didnt have one! Never my MH! to many complicated systems and intricacies
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #122

Monaco Owners Club
Good Grief! Not on your life. (and I'm a nice person).
Old 04-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #123

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unless people have experience, they have no idea what's involved (I know I sure didn't) in driving and maintaining the complex systems in a Class A. I have a friend who had a 40' DP before he bought the 35' 5er he and his wife live in; he could borrow it (in fact, he's going to be staying in it this weekend while he visits) if he wanted to, but he's not likely to ask since he does know the score. In fact, pretty much anybody who's likely to ask, doesn't know what they could be getting in to. So, pretty much, no, but thanks for asking.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #124

NEVER!!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #125

Monaco Owners Club
Never loan out anything that can and will be broken.
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:46 AM   #126

National RV Owners Club
No Way

Warden is offline   Reply With Quote