Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I see a few different companies that rent RVs. Camping World and El Monte the most. Haven't seen anything other than class C but they can get pretty big. Have to wonder how many accidents there are with them when people used to driving small cars take them for the first RV adventure. Do those outfits have an orientation drive or some kind of quick road course before turning people loose? I also wonder how many power cords and hoses get "stretched out"
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #100

All it would do in the long run is cause a rift between freinds or family. Absolutely not unless there were extreme circumstances; then I would consider it.
Ewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #101

Sure! As long as they left me a cash deposit of 150% of what I consider it to be worth and paid me $1500 a week rent.
In other words, NO!
Oh yeah, I don't have any friends so the question is moot!
adlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #102

Let me think about this for about a fraction of a second... NO WAY
Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #103

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sounds to me like the majority of Y'all need some better friends...

I suppose my definition of "Friend" is different than most. A friend to me is the same as family, I would give my life for my family, and there is no possession I have that I would not share gladly.

Personally, I can count the people I call "friends" on both hands- the thumbs.Most people I know are just "Acquaintances", and I would not loan anything I would miss to an "acquaintance", in fact it would be rude and presumptuous of them to ask.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #104

I give almost the same answer when someone wants to borrow my tools: "I spent my money on my tools (substitute coach here). What did you spend your money on?" We sacrificed a lot to get this second home, but not to be a rental/loaner friend. Please do not try to take advantage of our friendship this way.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #105

Fleetwood Owners Club
NO!!!
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #106
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Absolutely not and that includes relatives. Lack of experiance and insurance liability questions are the reason.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post

I suppose my definition of "Friend" is different than most. A friend to me is the same as family, I would give my life for my family, and there is no possession I have that I would not share gladly.

Personally, I can count the people I call "friends" on both hands- the thumbs.Most people I know are just "Acquaintances", and I would not loan anything I would miss to an "acquaintance", in fact it would be rude and presumptuous of them to ask.
I'm with you Mike. As I read through this thread I knew it would be pretty lopsided in favor of NO but had no idea it would be nearly unanimous. There is nothing I have that I wouldn't loan to a dear friend or family member for fear of having it damaged.

However, my concern would be safety and because nobody else in my circle of friends/family knows the first thing about safely operating a 40DP my answer would also be no. Even if they could get it safely from point A to point B there are SO many things one needs to know to make it all work in camp that I just can't see it being a good idea.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #108

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm with you Mike. As I read through this thread I knew it would be pretty lopsided in favor of NO but had no idea it would be nearly unanimous. There is nothing I have that I wouldn't loan to a dear friend or family member for fear of having it damaged.

However, my concern would be safety and because nobody else in my circle of friends/family knows the first thing about safely operating a 40DP my answer would also be no. Even if they could get it safely from point A to point B there are SO many things one needs to know to make it all work in camp that I just can't see it being a good idea.

Rick
I said the same thing ..If To my immidiate family (My son) yes. But nope otherwise. Actually you are saying the same thing, you agree with mike but since nobody in the circle knows MHs then its NOPE for you too
"I do agree 100% that there is nothing I wouldn't give or do for a dear friend and FAMILY"...however I believe this tread was more related to just loaning it out to friends that didn't have one, wanting to borrow yours to go camping. Big diference between helping out a member of the circle whom is in dire straits VS those that just want to borrow to go have fun in. Heck, some of us (ME) are still learning how everything works..can't teach someone else if I ain't fully confident myself..hehe

Happy adventures all.
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

True Barney. I have a total of TWO friends I would put in the circle with a small number of family members I feel would be capable. With those folks I would take the time to train them on driving and CG operation. And I would loan it to them "just to go have fun" in too.

Many of the responses so far seem to have centered around "I worked hard to buy mine... go buy your own"... or not wanting to risk a friendship due to fear of not being able to reach agreement on who pays if something goes wrong. I would not have those concerns.

The title of the thread has drawn some good, generic discussion but as far as the situation the OP is in... I can see no way it would work for him. Having an ocean between me and my coach would be a show stopper.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #110

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Are these Danes frequent visitors to the US? Have they ever used / owned an RV? Do they camp in Europe? It would depend on the circumstances. My DH has a saying from his uncle when his aunt didn't want him to drive the new family car "...they made more than one before they tore the factory down". I believe our insurance would in fact cover someone driving as long as we gave written permission. It would all depend on the person asking. Close friend - yes. Casual friendship - no.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post

None of the folks I would consider FRIENDS would think of asking to "borrow" the RV.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #112

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman

None of the folks I would consider FRIENDS would think of asking to "borrow" the RV.

Ken
It's not friends that would ask, no way the wife's family is borrowing it. Would end up like Robin Williams rig in the movie! :(
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote