Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #1

Would you operate ac & gen during dust storm?

Proud new owner of an old 81 Brave, going to torture test it at Burning Man.
I have this idea of blocking the shroud's side exposed to wind and wrapping it in shade cloth in order to filter some of the dust. Would this trap heat too intensively? Should I just go on roof and air blast the unit from time to time?
Same question with gen and air filter.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #2

If you place a block too closely to the shroud, more dust will swirl behind the shroud than if you left it exposed.
Research the placement of snow fences. There is some rule that the distance from the road should be 3? or 5? times the height of the fence to create a snow free roadway.
As far as the gen set, take a couple extra filters

Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I would think any blocking of air flow would reduce A/C s ability to transfer heat from the condenser to the air. You might overheat compressor and other parts. Since its on the roof, how much dust do you think it will ingest? Blowing it clean seems a better course of action to me, just don't neglect it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #4

Thx for the concept of the back deposit behind fences, I should make something modular (being able to move it away from ) as to prevent the caked in effect of the talc like playa dust. Though the unit is above 10 feet, the storms kick up considerable amount of dust causing white outs and dunes. I ll take the advice not to cover it up in mesh.
Also did anyone recharge their ac units themselves?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be afraid of reducing the air flow. Make sure you keep a good air filter on the generator and change it often. As for the A/C unit, remove the cover and rinse it off.

Ken
Old 08-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

I have camped at Lake Powell yearly, on the sand since the late 70s and have run my generator/AC many times and have never had an issue. That is over quite a few motorhomes and generator types. Since I camp in the desert a lot, I change my air filters each year.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregmaz View Post
Thx for the concept of the back deposit behind fences, I should make something modular (being able to move it away from ) as to prevent the caked in effect of the talc like playa dust. Though the unit is above 10 feet, the storms kick up considerable amount of dust causing white outs and dunes. I ll take the advice not to cover it up in mesh.
Also did anyone recharge their ac units themselves?
I have recharged several A/C's. You can buy a pierceing valve from any A/C supply house.
remember it is R22 in the green container.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The piercing valves are a temporary fix to get into the systems. They will leak. Is hould be replaced with a soldered Shrader valve.

Ken
Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used a piercing valve once.. Did it leak? I don't know it was like 15 years later I removed the device (A de-humidifier) from service, and no evidence it was leaking.

I will second the bring spare air filters suggestion for the Generator.. Can't comment on the air Conditioner as I have not the needed info, Frequent cleaning is the best I can suggest.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #10

Went to rv store, they wouldn t recharge my old Coleman. Where can I get the necessary gear to diy as to avoid an $900 upgrade?
Also here is a little math problem that needs gesstimation:
Running an onan 4V gen set at half load for AC on a 69 gallons tank ( safety shutoff at unknown low level) how many hours do I get?
As for "playa" dust, it is unlike anything encountered else where: a talc like, highly corrosive and conductive fine dust. During storms that can last a whole night, things get caked in over an inch of it. It fries electronics or simple electrics and can clog air filters or vent holes.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregmaz View Post
Went to rv store, they wouldn t recharge my old Coleman. Where can I get the necessary gear to diy as to avoid an $900 upgrade?
Also here is a little math problem that needs gesstimation:
Running an onan 4V gen set at half load for AC on a 69 gallons tank ( safety shutoff at unknown low level) how many hours do I get?
As for "playa" dust, it is unlike anything encountered else where: a talc like, highly corrosive and conductive fine dust. During storms that can last a whole night, things get caked in over an inch of it. It fries electronics or simple electrics and can clog air filters or vent holes.
Curious as to why one would want to stay in such a miserable place?

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #12

One of those things that you have to be there to understand
Part of the reason the event is there is that nothing else could go wrong
Old 08-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
if you're going to BM you are going to have dust coming out of your bus for years. Either don't go or resign yourself to it. No other options even if you cover it in plastic and shrink wrap it.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #14

I' ve been 6 times, and this time I am doing it proper with an RV for the family. No really worried about getting it dirty, just hot. Hence the concern about keeping my AC running throughout dust storms which could clog or fry it all up.
My thinking was to block one side of the shroud (the one exposed the wind) and put mesh on the other side, but so far I ve been advised against heat trapping.
Any other idea?
Just for info I ve coated the coach with about 10 gallons of elastomeric paint.