Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

Would you use an 8 year old spare tire?

I bought a spare tire 7 1/2 years ago and kept it in the storage bay the whole time. Never needed it. In that time I replaced all the tires on the motorhome with new Michelin tires. The spare is a Goodyear of the same size.
I'm getting ready to take a long trip but decided to take the spare out cause I'm just carrying dead weight. Don't know if I had a flat whether I would use a 8 year old mismatched (brand) tire anyway.
Kind of wondering what some of you would do. Hopefully won't need it though.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Whew, I wouldn't count on it - after all, if you are pulling a spare tire out it's already a bad day

Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my tires back in April 2010. I kept a Goodyear with date code of 2403. It was one from a pair off the front. I still have it and it will stay in my "Rolling Garage" until I replace tires once again.

If you travel mostly around the lower 48 then I would NOT recommend carrying spare rubber around. In the lower 48 it is very easy to find tires almost anyplace. If you plan to travel through parts of Canada and Alaska, then it makes total sense to carry the spare rubber. You could wait for up to two weeks or more to have the proper size tire shipped to your location.

I am in and out of Alaska about every two years and if I ever need to have a tire, I got one BUT it will ONLY be used to get me to a major city where it can be replaced with a current tire or tires depending on what axle it happen on.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I do the same as Richard. I carry a spare tire and change it out every 5-6 years for the best of the ones I am replacing. This way if I can not get an exact match in Podunk USA, I will drive very carefully on it to the closest City where I can. So far, so good, have not had to do it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #5

I'm with Dr4Film. Had a flat in central Canada on the way back from Alaska and was back on the road within an hour using my spare. Traveled the 300 miles to the next big town in Canada and bought a pair of used tires for backup. Tire guy told me it would have taken at least two days to get my size where I'd had the flat.

Carrying the spare in remote areas is highly recommended. But as mentioned, if you're not going to Alaska or doing a tour of Mexico, don't bother. Personally, though, I like to carry one just so I have more options available.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I would use it to get to a place to obtain a new tire(s).
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It completely depends on where it was stored. Hanging on the rear bumper out in the sun A tire will die a slow death. inside or under neath it will most likely be fine.

Just about a month a go I was off-roading on a trail and sliced a sidewall on my jeeps front tire. On went the 7 year old (date code 5105 ) spare tire and I drove home. Drove the Jeep to work for a week before install my other set of tires. (My Jeeps spare was under a cover)
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
8 year old spare tire

NO!!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
It completely depends on where it was stored. Hanging on the rear bumper out in the sun A tire will die a slow death. inside or under neath it will most likely be fine.

Just about a month a go I was off-roading on a trail and sliced a sidewall on my jeeps front tire. On went the 7 year old (date code 5105 ) spare tire and I drove home. Drove the Jeep to work for a week before install my other set of tires. (My Jeeps spare was under a cover)
When we were looking for a MH last year I asked a dealer on one coach we were looking at "where's the spare tire?". He just looked at me chuckling and said, "your not going to be changing a tire on this". It hit me like a hammer and then I chuckled too.

I know a Dodge Diesel truck is not a MH but we bought our Dodge Ram new in 2000. Had all Michelins including the spare. We're on our 4th set of Michelins and each time I have them look at the spare, stored under the truck. Plus all our rigs are garaged. It still looks just as new as the new tires (still has blueing on the white letters) and the tire pros say it's still just as good and wouldn't change it out especially for the usefullness of just getting me to where I can get help. As for the MH.....I faithfully keep my Good Sams road side insurance premium paid up.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #10

If needed I would rather temporarily use my old spare the correct size, than pay $100s of dollars for a wrong size/rated tire the tow truck guy found.

When you last replaced your MH tires did the tire dealer have that size in stock or have to order? Many of our MH do not take the normal stocking shelf tire sizes.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I would use it to get to a place to obtain a new tire(s).

X2

Mine is unused couple/three years old, but mismatched, I view it as a temporary only. Would not be afraid to use an old one same way, like the mini spares in some cars. How much bad luck can you expect in one day.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it has been in dry storage I'd use it all day long. Heck I have a date code of 03 on my coaches tires and run them all over without a worry.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Letsgoagain,
Based on the information in the OP I'd keep it, carry it and use it. I carry a full size spare tire that is 8 years old. Bought it new, wrapped and stored in the coach basement and dressed once every couple of years. Even in the lower 48 states, some sizes can not be replaced quickly. 275X70X22.5 Michelin is one of these sizes. That is my tire size. The last and most important point is, if one has it, one will not need it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I agree with GaryKD. I have a 7 yr old tire that was purchsed new and placed in our basement. I give it a good coat of 303 every couple of years.