Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
May I ask how long those Michelin Customer Care replacements have been on and how they look now?
Yeah! Maybe post some pictures..............

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #44

Bridgestone, Goodyear and a Chinese brand, and your worried about Michelins SMH!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	131_0903_05_z+motorhome_trailer_tires+inner_dual_cracking.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	92249   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_cracked_sidewall.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	92250  

Attached Images

Old 04-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #45

Quote:
May I ask how long those Michelin Customer Care replacements have been on and how they look now?
blang
The Michelin Customer Care replacements which have been on for 5 months and driven 4,000 miles still look like new.

However, in their "wisdom" Michelin Customer Care stuck me with then 3 year 9 month old replacements, (per the DOT date).
That makes my 6 "new 5 month old replacement tires", (for which I paid over $800... and which took over 3 months to get approved by Michelin Customer Care...ordered, and replaced by my local tire dealer), are over 4 years old.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
blang
The Michelin Customer Care replacements which have been on for 5 months and driven 4,000 miles still look like new.

However, in their "wisdom" Michelin Customer Care stuck me with then 3 year 9 month old replacements, (per the DOT date).
That makes my 6 "new 5 month old replacement tires", (for which I paid over $800... and which took over 3 months to get approved by Michelin Customer Care...ordered, and replaced by my local tire dealer), are over 4 years old.

Mel
'96 Safari
That's interesting! Kind of scary that they can actually put their hands on "new" stock that is almost four years old. I mistakenly assumed tires were more of a just-in-time type product. Apparently not. On the other hand, you ended up right where you began... as if the first set had not cracked. Yeah, bummer that you had to deal with it, wait three months, etc.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #47

Quote:
That's interesting! Kind of scary that they can actually put their hands on "new" stock that is almost four years old. I mistakenly assumed tires were more of a just-in-time type product. Apparently not. On the other hand, you ended up right where you began... as if the first set had not cracked. Yeah, bummer that you had to deal with it, wait three months, etc.
blang
I agree.

Michelin told me they can legaly sell tires as old as 4 years old... and that their offer was "take it or leave it".

BTW, My Michelin dealer said that Customer Care used 2 of the 3 months to round up those "old new stock" tires "from 4 or 5 different dealers" and ship them to him.

"Fool me once shame on me"...(they will never get a chance to "fool me twice").

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Bridgestone, Goodyear and a Chinese brand, and your worried about Michelins SMH!
Wow, now those are some serious cracks to be concerned with.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #49

After all this I still don't know whether my cracking represents a serious problem or if there is time left on the tires.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
I have ran many many sets of Michelin tires on a fleet of trucks and never seen the cracking like the ones on RV's. Is it because they don't sit for long periods of time or is it because they are inflated to the maximum pressure on the sidewall? Worth thinking about!!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I have ran many many sets of Michelin tires on a fleet of trucks and never seen the cracking like the ones on RV's. Is it because they don't sit for long periods of time or is it because they are inflated to the maximum pressure on the sidewall? Worth thinking about!!
I run Michelin's on all my Heavy Haul Equipment, the 17.5's get small cracks but I have never lost one and get 200k+ on the Tri Axle air ride Murray
Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
I run Michelin's on all my Heavy Haul Equipment, the 17.5's get small cracks but I have never lost one and get 200k+ on the Tri Axle air ride Murray

Yes, it's quite simple. Less than 2/32" the cracks are cosmetic only. There are many plies beneath, that is just superficial.

Measure the depth and be done with it. I'll bet many, like mine, you cannot even measure the depth of the crack because it is on the surface of the tire only.

Cheers!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I replaced my Goodyear tires with Firestone's because I felt the original equipment tires were too old at 7 years with only 17000 miles. The Firestone's began to crack after only 3 years on the sunny side of the rig. I brought them back to tire dealer and he replaced the two tires and gave me $200 credit. I put the new tires on the front.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
slickest1
Tires should be only be inflated based on the actual weight the tire is carrying....per the inflation tables for that particular tire, (NOT on the maximum pressure on the sidewall).
The recommended PSI is seldom as high as the maximum pressure on the sidewall.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
After all this I still don't know whether my cracking represents a serious problem or if there is time left on the tires.
firedoc
You are not alone...even some Michelin dealers don't know if/when sidewall cracks are dangerous.

Example:
There are 2 "autuoizesd Michelin dealers" in my home town.
When the sidewall cracked Michelin tires on my old coach were 3 1/2 years old I had them inspected by one of those dealers and was told that the sidewall cracks were "normal on Michelins"...and "nothing to worry about".
Because that answer was unsatisfactory to me I drove to the second dealer and had them inspected again
The second dealer took pictures of the tires and submitted a "warranty claim" to Michelin Customer Care.
That warranty claim resulted in the replacement of all 6 sidewall cracked tires for a total cost to me of $80.33 per tire, (plus sales tax and mounting labor).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
slickest1
Tires should be only be inflated based on the actual weight the tire is carrying....per the inflation tables for that particular tire, (NOT on the maximum pressure on the sidewall).
The recommended PSI is seldom as high as the maximum pressure on the sidewall.
Mel
'96 Safari
So when the Truck is empty (37,890 lbs) the air pressure should be xxx and when it's loaded (129,000) the pressure should be raised to XXX, Mel, you dealing with people that rely on where the rubber meets the road to put food on the table, I don't CARE what is read on the computer, if you don't agree whit the Tire talk here , that's fine but try to think outside the box!