Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
So when the Truck is empty (37,890 lbs) the air pressure should be xxx and when it's loaded (129,000) the pressure should be raised to XXX, Mel, you dealing with people that rely on where the rubber meets the road to put food on the table, I don't CARE what is read on the computer, if you don't agree whit the Tire talk here , that's fine but try to think outside the box!
DMTTRANSPORT
Very few coach owners "rely on where the rubber meets the road to put food on the table".
IMO any coach owner who thinks "outside of the box" about his tire pressure is making a mistake.
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
DMTTRANSPORT
Very few coach owners "rely on where the rubber meets the road to put food on the table".
IMO any coach owner who thinks "outside of the box" about his tire pressure is making a mistake.
Mel
'96 Safari
so should I be changing tire pressure loaded vs empty?, It DOES NOT hurt the Tire if max air pressure is run is my point, the ride will be different but if your not running a tire brand for the ride whats the difference?

Old 04-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Yes, it's quite simple. Less than 2/32" the cracks are cosmetic only. There are many plies beneath, that is just superficial.

Measure the depth and be done with it. I'll bet many, like mine, you cannot even measure the depth of the crack because it is on the surface of the tire only.

Cheers!

In the side wall of all steel radial commercial tires, there is only one ply. The tread area has 4-5 ply. If you read the sidewall labeling the "ply rating" is a throwback to the 50s. The actual number of plies will be listed on the sidewall.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #60

Quote:
so should I be changing tire pressure loaded vs empty?, It DOES NOT hurt the Tire if max air pressure is run is my point, the ride will be different but if your not running a tire brand for the ride whats the difference?
DMTTRANSPORT
Unlike trucks most coaches are loaded to the same weight, (within a few hundred pounds), whenever they are being driven...(I know mine is).
IMO tires run at the recommenced pressures, (per the manufactures inflation tables), will result in the best possible ride, handling and tread wear.
If you don't agree you are free to run your tires however you want to.
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles
Old 04-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #61

Quote:
DMTTRANSPORT
Unlike trucks most coaches are loaded to the same weight, (within a few hundred pounds), whenever they are being driven...(I know mine is).
IMO tires run at the recommenced pressures, (per the manufactures inflation tables), will result in the best possible ride, handling and tread wear.
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles
Typical, you avoided my question twice, few hundred pounds? 150 gallons of Diesel = 1350, 100 gallons of water, etc. if you ever roll out here in the Desert when it's hot, pull over and check your tire pressure....
Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #62

Quote:
Typical, you avoided my question twice, few hundred pounds? 150 gallons of Diesel = 1350, 100 gallons of water, etc. if you ever roll out here in the Desert when it's hot, pull over and check your tire pressure....
DMTTRANSPORT
What is your question?
I set my tire pressures to the recommended cold inflation pressures for the "loaded weight" of my coach... which only varies a few hundred pounds whenever and wherever I drive it.
Mel
Old 04-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #63

Quote:
Save your frustrations. Sometimes it's the quantity of posts......not quality.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought my class A last year with tires in the same condition. First thing I did when I got it home was buy new tires all the way around.
It's not cheap but my family's safety is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Please do everyone a favor and change the tire. The passengers and the people that are following you or passing you will appreciate it
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
X2
Some of us have worn out many sets of tires, some have not.
When trucking I never really noticed a huge difference in ride when the truck was empty. Alot of the trucks I ran had spring suspension or rubber block suspension. May be my butt is paralyzed, but I call BS on weather you can feel a difference of 10 pounds of air in a tire when you are riding on air bags.
If you can then why do you need tire pressure monitors?
Before going onto trucking I spent several years in the tire industry as a repair tech. The golden rule of tires is under inflation builds heat and causes problems. That applies from a wheel barrow right up to a Large ore haul truck. Most motorhomes have a size of tire put on at the factory that will handle the weight when loaded. Tire manufacturers put a psi rating on the tire for a reason. The only tires I have ever had a problem with are ones that have lost air and ran low.
If some fell the need to run their tires at a lower pressure then feel free to do so. Its your dime.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
DMTTRANSPORT
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles

Wow. Getting a little snippy, eh?

Jeez, relax!

Cheers!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #68

We are missing the point. If the tires are inflated to the proposed psi per the manufacturer chart. Taken care of and kept out of uv light, they claim the tires are 10 year tires. So how after 3 or 6 years they are all cracking?
Old 04-24-2015, 02:51 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes definitely time to go tire shopping. Would even think of taking those tires on a trip. Sidewall blowouts on duels will sometimes take out both tires. Ekkkkk. Not a good thought.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:11 AM   #70

It's always hard to judge from a smallish picture, but it looks like cosmetic weather checking to me. That is just a Michelin thing...my tires developed them in the first year, and I've put a ton of miles on them since then.

Tons of Michelin's are out there that look like that doing millions of miles a year. In my opinion, nothing to be concerned about.

Steve