Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
If truckers paid better attention to tire inflation we would not have rubber aligator skins laying all over the highway. Just saying. BTW..former DOT transportation safety director in my second career.
Yes you still would, get rid of recaps and lower speeds would rid about 80% of the skins on the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
OP HERE: Based on my Goodyear table and your comments, I stopped by Brazel's office to see what was right. Wrong tire selected. Lesson learned - don't talk to a guy that is working - wait for him to finish or get to stopping point. Seems women can do two things at once but not most men. I'll take the blame for this one. Correct tire entered and new data says 80 front and rear. That is still a pretty big change from Damon data card in coach. I should have had the four corner weigh done a long time ago. Expect mpg to go up some but hopefully the smoother ride will make DW's back happy. Thanks to all for the help.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #17

Sometimes it's good to talk about things....
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to Waterview202
It sounds like chuck is not dividing the rear tire weight by 4 tires. then the weight per tire would be the same as the front
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #19

Assuming you are comparing the right tire size with the correct coach weight--my gut feel is that you should run your tires within 10% of max allowable pressure [full pressure if your weight calls for it]. Reason: worst thing you can do to a tire is to run it under inflated. Running at or near max pressure also gives you better fuel mileage and a larger margin of safety in the event of a slow leak. Other than a "somewhat rougher ride," I cant think of anything bad that can come from inflating toward the high end of the recommended inflation range--cant say the same for the low end.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Assuming you are comparing the right tire size with the correct coach weight--my gut feel is that you should run your tires within 10% of max allowable pressure [full pressure if your weight calls for it]. Reason: worst thing you can do to a tire is to run it under inflated. Running at or near max pressure also gives you better fuel mileage and a larger margin of safety in the event of a slow leak. Other than a "somewhat rougher ride," I cant think of anything bad that can come from inflating toward the high end of the recommended inflation range--cant say the same for the low end.
X2!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Old Scout Agree! But - DW has back problems and comfort comes before mpg and I question the impact of harder ride on coach components and systems. We have TPMS to guard against the slow leaks. As DW gets better I will increase pressure - but NOT back to factory spec's. And four corner weight will be an annual routine from now on. Not mentioned is braking - I can't find specific data but will bet TP on lower end of table will result in shorter stopping distance due to wider footprint on road surface.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Truck tires don't read "Inflate to XX PSI" like a bicycle tire. You are correct that under inflation is bad and lead to tire failure. But over inflation can reslt in less tread on the road. This will be visible with tread ear in the center of the tire and less traction on wet roads. There's a reason tire manufacturers publish tire pressure charts.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Well, your "gut feeling" isn't the same as the tire engineers published info!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've driven motorhomes for over 35 years...class C, Class A, Gas and Diesel. I have NEVER had my motorhome weighed. I usually go by what the manufacturer recommends and sometimes I adjust for ride, etc. I drove one class A coach for 14 years and over 30,000 miles on the same set of Michelins without a blowout. Weigh 'em if you want, but in my opinion, you could use the money for fuel and come out a lot farther ahead.