Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW! 4 wheel weigh - don't delay

Three years on the road and finally got four wheel weigh and the results are amazing.
Stopped by Brazel's RV Performance Center in Centralia, WA for service on leveling system and found out from another customer that Brazel's had equipment to do four corner weigh. Added that to work list and am VERY happy that I did.

Mfg says 95 front and 80 rear.
Per four wheel weigh and Goodyear tire table
70 front and 100 rear.

BTW rumors that Brazel's provides outstanding service are true.
Kudos to Brazel's RV Performance Center crew for providing great service.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

I would be interested to know what the manufacturers GVWR, GAWR's are for your unit and what you actually weighed in at.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #3

It blows me away that so many don't have the MHs weighed. With tires be so critical to safe operation this is a must do!
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #4

Ok--usually the single front tires require more pressure per weight distro than the 4 dual tires in back???????....just saying
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Ok--usually the single front tires require more pressure per weight distro than the 4 dual tires in back???????....just saying
Thus the reason for my question...
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I would be interested to know what the manufacturers GVWR, GAWR's are for your unit and what you actually weighed in at.
iRV2 Forums - View Profile: ctpres makes it easy to look them up. Sounds like about the same size as yours.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
agreed. the manufacturer's tag on my rig specified 125 psi front and 115 rear, i felt it's kinda at high end so i set 115 front and 110 rear. op's 70 at front is too low, maybe??
Old 07-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, something wrong with the OP's figures I think.

OP: please post your weights, tire brand, model and sizes and someone will verify them.

I've never seen one that needed pressures like that with the front so low and the rears that much higher.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
agreed. the manufacturer's tag on my rig specified 125 psi front and 115 rear, i felt it's kinda at high end so i set 115 front and 110 rear. op's 70 at front is too low, maybe??
Did you weigh your rig or just guess?
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Three years on the road and finally got four wheel weigh and the results are amazing.
Stopped by Brazel's RV Performance Center in Centralia, WA for service on leveling system and found out from another customer that Brazel's had equipment to do four corner weigh. Added that to work list and am VERY happy that I did.

Mfg says 95 front and 80 rear.
Per four wheel weigh and Goodyear tire table
70 front and 100 rear.

BTW rumors that Brazel's provides outstanding service are true.
Kudos to Brazel's RV Performance Center crew for providing great service.

I am amazed at how everybody gets so excited about weight per corner of the coach and per axel and tire pressure reccomends per loaded weight. I hear guys changing there tire pressure per weoght of their coach.
I am a retired cross country trucker. If a trucker worried about these items every time he loaded amd unloaded, he would be BROKE. Sure we weighed our trucks, but it was to comply with DOT weight laws and be compliant at the highway weigh stations, to keep from a ticket. In most cases It was not can our equipment handle it. I recently sold my 99 Alpine coach. I weighed it one time fully loaded full of fuel and was going to be gone for 3 months, toad was a 2000 Cheve Malibu, and still 3000 pounds below max weight allowed. Old trucker
Old 07-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
OP Here.
Damon 3211 on w22 with chevy 8.1 and original Goodyear tires- label in coach: GAWR front 8000 and 13500 rear with 245 70R 19.5G tires.
GCWR 26000
GVWR 21200

Per four corner weight analysis:
Actual weight in pounds
FL 3320 FR 3120 Total 6440
RL 6600 RR 6600 Total 13200
Combined L 9920
Combined R 9720
Total weight 19640

Weight Distribution
Front axel 33% Rear 67%
Left side 51% Right 49%

Reserve 1560

Recommended tire pressure front 70lbs Rear 100

Notes: No driver or passengers, about 60 gal gas, and 1/3 black 1/3 fresh and 2/3 grey and fully stocked for travel.

If anyone finds problem with weight analysis - let me know.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #12

Based on the Goodyear chart I read (and I assume I'm reading it correctly) 80 psi is the lowest you should use on a G rated tire made after 2/28/2006 which will clearly support your front weight. (You may have a different chart, mine has both pre and post 2/28/2006). The pre 2/28/2006 line in the chart does show support for 70 psi. You rear weight of 13,200 would only need a psi of 80 as well, but 85 would be better.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If truckers paid better attention to tire inflation we would not have rubber aligator skins laying all over the highway. Just saying. BTW..former DOT transportation safety director in my second career.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trucker View Post

I am amazed at how everybody gets so excited about weight per corner of the coach and per axel and tire pressure reccomends per loaded weight. I hear guys changing there tire pressure per weoght of their coach.
I am a retired cross country trucker. If a trucker worried about these items every time he loaded amd unloaded, he would be BROKE. Sure we weighed our trucks, but it was to comply with DOT weight laws and be compliant at the highway weigh stations, to keep from a ticket.
Big difference. Commercial truckers inflate their tires to the pressure needed to meet DoT axle weight limits or trailer/tractor axle limits, which ever is less. RV tires are inflated for the actual expected load. There are a lot of coach's that weigh more than the manufacturer established and therefore the tire pressure chart placed on the vehicle is wrong. No one needs to weigh and reweigh as an ongoing practice if they did their weigh when the coach was full of fluids and loaded as would be expeted. Steer axle weights can well exceed 12,000 pounds for 40-footers and bus conversions coming close to 20,000 pounds on the steer axle.

Another benefit of having a loaded RV weighed is that it might alert an owner to how over weight thier RV is so they can shed some stuff.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote