Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Those "Gators" are from commercial truck tires that had been recapped. Since that piece of tire was "welded" onto the case quite often they don't last as long as a brand new truck tire does.

Heat is the number one enemy of tires.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I'm sure the cost of recaps vs. new is quite a lot...As many "gators" as I see on the road I am thinking if I drove a big rig I would prefer new. However I am sure that is not the drivers decision.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Yes, that what is correct. Do you see farmers running out to turn over their diesels each month?
They should be, if they are going to make any money farming.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Those "Gators" are from commercial truck tires that had been recapped. Since that piece of tire was "welded" onto the case quite often they don't last as long as a brand new truck tire does.

Heat is the number one enemy of tires.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Under inflation is the #1 cause of heat.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMEDPHYS View Post
Don't believe the hype about nitrogen! That is a huge crock of BS! I am a physicist and nitrogen in your tires does not change the laws of physics.

Atomic size? What a farce!

Pressure changes with temperature on any gas including good old fashioned AIR according to the ideal gas law.

There is way too much anal retentiveness about tire pressures on this forum. Use common sense folks and all will be well!!!
Besides your tires already have nitrogen in them, the atmosphere in 78% nitrogen.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
They should be, if they are going to make any money farming.
I have 14 diesel motors. We use them mostly in the spring & fall. Once we get done with our work they are services & stored in unheated barns. We never start them until they are needed the next season. Been doing this since 1970?? We have a few that we might use to plow snow & such.

I purchased a diesel motor at a salvage yard in 1998 to put in a piece of equipment. Ended up selling that unit and never used that motor. It sat in the corner of the barn till last year. 15 year. I put it in a off road truck last summer. It fired up and is running perfect. It does burn a gallon of oil in 12 hours running. Not that bad!!!

I have a 1982 tractor with 8500 hours on it and that is the original motor. It runs perfect no oil consumption.

That's the way I run. Has worked well for us. We have very little motor issues.

Russell
Old 01-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Regarding the tire pressure thing, when we first got our motorhome, years ago, I aired up the tires before our trip to Florida over Christmas break. It was maybe 5 here in the Chicago area that day, by the time we got to liveable temperatures in Georgia, the motorhome was almost impossible to control, it was all over the road. When I stopped to check pressures they were something like 120lbs rear and 100 lbs front. Let a bunch of air out, problem solved.
Now I don't worry about it, it all seems to balance out. When it's 10 out, the tires never get hot enough to cause a problem anyway. Eventually the pressures equalize the further south we go.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #35

I'm with you Baraff. Russell
Old 01-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
In the '70's I drove a school bus for a big county school system. All the buses (hundreds of them) were stored on a big lot and you picked up and returned your bus each day. They were all 6-tire vehicles. Every single bus was equipped with a hammer in the glove box. We were required to whack the tires each day before starting our routes. That's the only air pressure "monitoring" ever done on those buses. Not sure if the whack-a-tire method did anything at all, but that's what we did!
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Here's a chart that shows how pressure changes with temperature. If you like to keep your tire pressure at a specific level, you'd have to calculate the equivalent if the temperature is above or below the base (this chart uses 65 degrees).
The Chart is the best piece of information in this whole Thread.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #38

I worked at a company that had 18 semi & 40 trailers for many years. We serviced the tractors every 10,000 mile. My guess is the drivers never checked the tires other than with a bill club in between service. The trailers were on maintance schedule where a company came in once every two weeks and checked all the tires. Tire issues were never an issue for us.

Russell
Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #39

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Yes, that what is correct. Do you see farmers running out to turn over their diesels each month? You do far more harm than good. Fill it with fuel, shut down, and don't start until you can run down the highway for 20 minutes or more. You can't get everything lubricated, etc., if she isn't moving. And unless the power at the park goes down, we don't start our diesel generator either during the winter while we are parked.
I understand that.

I have a GAS ENGINE V-10 FORD though. I am not talking about DIESEL ENGINES!

Maybe I should have been more clear in my original post. But my signature does clearly say Ford F-53 V-10.

And I will continue to do what I've been doing the past 3 years with my coach for maintenance.

Also, one other note, I'll bet your DIESEL generator maintenance guidelines requires the same cycle of starting and running it under half load as my GAS generator does. The windings in the generator itself need to be run at least every 6 weeks or so under half load. No matter what the engine fuel. The worse thing in the world for a generator is to let it sit for months at a time.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
When traveling from the very cold north to the warm south I generally don't worry about pressures until it gets really warm or downright hot, then I will release air back to my aim.

However, when traveling from a warm or hot southern area to a very cold northern area if you don't adjust your psi's at least once you could be running under-inflated CIP psi's which will cause your tire to run extra hot.

I don't change them everyday before starting out however I DO make sure that they are all within a reasonable CIP for my aim.

Most TPMS will alarm around the 10% - 12% low level for the first stage warning and the second stage warning should be about the 25% level which is considered to be a Flat Tire.

If your aim was 100 psi you could get a warning at about 90 psi which you could be approaching if running from a hot area of the south to a very cold area of the north.

The main important point is to monitor your tires for under-inflation from aim at CIP, your life and safety for you and others depends on it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I understand that. I have a GAS ENGINE V-10 FORD though. I am not talking about DIESEL ENGINES! Maybe I should have been more clear in my original post. But my signature does clearly say Ford F-53 V-10.
Ok on gas. Only have one gas motor and the DW drives it every day. It don't have a chance to sit. Ha. I don't have any comment on gas motors. Just don't know. Never let one of them sit around.

Russell
Old 01-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
I just have to do this....How often do you calibrate (certify) your test gauge that you use to set your tire pressures? What type of device ... dial gauge...pencil type...electronic? I think you will find more variation in gauge types than actual change due to ambient temp

Tags
tire pressure