Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
A very good question that has been discussed on previous threads. You can search for them using the "Search" function.

Here is one of the more recent ones.

Accurate tire pressure gauge?

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatime View Post
I just have to do this....How often do you calibrate (certify) your test gauge that you use to set your tire pressures? What type of device ... dial gauge...pencil type...electronic? I think you will find more variation in gauge types than actual change due to ambient temp
Ha! Good point! We need to find a happy medium somewhere between whack-a-tire and ocd!

sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #45

Here's a link to an article in Motorhome Magazine written about tire gauges back in 2010:

http://www.motorhome.com/rv-how-to/r...g-tire-gauges/

Of all the gauges they tested (both digital and mechanical) they liked the Milton S-976 Service Gauge the best.

Here's a quote from the article:

"Though we didn’t really intend on declaring a winner in this article, one gauge in particular stands out in many ways — the Milton S-976 Service Gage. First was its accuracy: It had no error at every pressure we tested it at. It is also made in the United States and priced at a reasonable $14.99 at Northern Tool + Equipment. Lastly, it’s built like a tank. If I were ever stranded in the woods with any one of these gauges and forced to defend myself against a wild puma, the Milton 976 is the tool I want in my hand. It is a mechanical pencil gauge, so make sure that is acceptable to you before you purchase it."

I've used this gauge for years and find it dependable and accurate. I take it to a local tire dealer twice a year and test it against their ISO certified Master gauge. It's been dead on since the day I bought it.

If you follow the link to the article be sure to read it thoroughly. One thing it mentions is not to obsess over minimal differences. They consider repeatable accuracy to be within 2psi.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #46

I've been fulltiming now for 4 yrs. I have no tire pressure monitoring system. The other day my tow dolly tire was screwed. I did catch it while parked. I would like a tpms just to avoid the damage that could occure if there was a blowout that I may not catch right away. I usually thump my rear duals whenever I stop.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #47

I am surprised every on missed the most valuable Piece of information in this thread even when I pointed it out.

65 Degrees F is considered Cold Tire Pressure Standard.

In other words Start with the Tire Pressure Load Chart for your Tire make and Size, KNOWING the Weight of your coach, then use the Tire Pressure Temp Chart to Determine your Proper Tire Pressure and you Can't Go Wrong.

Ted.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #48

In one of the TPMS threads, it was noted that tire thumpers couldn't tell the difference in a 20% low tire. That is the point that many tire manufacturers consider a tire to be "Run Flat".
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman1 View Post
I have a question about tires. While traveling down the highway I notice a lot of alligators I think they call them. I also notice a lot of them seem to have a lot of tread left. Why do so many tires go bad, wrong air pressure, objects in the road? Or?????
Rockman, I was always under the thought that a lot of truckers run retreads, tires that the bond anew tread surface to the existing tire. I think a lot of these alligators as you call them are the retreads coming apart.

Can anybody confirm that?

Jeff
Old 01-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #50
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Tomtall,

A 78% Nitrogen mix works well for most of us.
My tires get 78.23% nitrogen mix.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizzer View Post
Rockman, I was always under the thought that a lot of truckers run retreads, tires that the bond anew tread surface to the existing tire. I think a lot of these alligators as you call them are the retreads coming apart.

Can anybody confirm that?

Jeff
Jeff: I am sure you are right and I guess I knew that already. MY point is are these recaps coming apart because of low pressure(heat), or is it just the nature of the beast. I will say they are a nuisance and sometimes a safety hazzard.

John
Old 01-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

Really? Where do you come up with that?

Sorry, but its good for the engine, seals, lubricants, belts, hoses, on and on and on when you start and run the engine (till all fluids get to normal temp-for me about 15 minutes) at least once a month. I treat my fuel with Sta Bil at the beginning of the winter season as well.

The generator as well, at least half load for 15-20 minutes every month.

Cummins says the if you can't drive the rig for at least 30 miles then don't bother starting it.

The reason for running a generator is to heat up the windings and burn moisture off. That's the reason for running with at least half loaded.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #53

You will find the truckers are using retreads on their TRAILERS.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #54
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Cummins says the if you can't drive the rig for at least 30 miles then don't bother starting it.

The reason for running a generator is to heat up the windings and burn moisture off. That's the reason for running with at least half loaded.
Are you saying the genie should be half loaded or the operator?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #55
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
I am surprised every on missed the most valuable Piece of information in this thread even when I pointed it out.

65 Degrees F is considered Cold Tire Pressure Standard.

In other words Start with the Tire Pressure Load Chart for your Tire make and Size, KNOWING the Weight of your coach, then use the Tire Pressure Temp Chart to Determine your Proper Tire Pressure and you Can't Go Wrong.

Ted.
Sorry but "Cold inflation" does not mean you adjust for some chem lab standard. For tires "COLD" means the tire is at ambient air temperature. Basically this means not driven on for at least three hours (some say two hours) and no part of the tire in direct sunlight for same time.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #56
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Here's a chart that shows how pressure changes with temperature. If you like to keep your tire pressure at a specific level, you'd have to calculate the equivalent if the temperature is above or below the base (this chart uses 65 degrees).
Tire inflation is NOT Laboratory Standard but Air Ambient. Do not calculate and adjust to 65 or 68 degree "standard".

Yes tire pressure changes with air temperature changes but you need to set your tire pressure based on what the air temperature is.

Tags
tire pressure