Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Wrap it up

Has anyone used a vinyl wrap instead of painting? My 2000 Damon Daybreak end caps are fibreglass and are in need of refinishing.

A wrap could be done in 3 to 4 days according to what I have read

Phil

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

I have read where some have done this but it will not hold up in hot sun as long as a good paint job will. I think wraps are meant to be replaced much more often like they do on buses, etc.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you give it some thought, heat guns are used to apply and conform to whatever it is to be applied to. My thought is, most RV's are subject to a lot of heat at times and sometimes for a extended period. I doubt that it would last for a long enough duration for it to be worth while. A lot of money could be spent with a not so good result in the end. Although I have seen wraps on a lot of buses and how long they last I guess depends on the quality of the wrap and how it was done and by who.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #4

You might want to look into the discussions about Zep floor wax for the end caps. Many people me included used floor wax on the sun damaged gel coat with good success. Takes about four or five thin coats but then it really shines.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Phil,

The wraps are only good for about 5-7 years. I have done custom paint jobs on hot rods and trucks for 26 years,and have done auto body for most of my life,and the only advise I can give you is........paint,paint,paint.Summit racing supply sells decent paint and supplies very reasonable,buy a paint gun,some paint and primer,and some sand paper,practice on your garbage barrel and go for it!!!! You can do it,I have faith in you......you'll save some big money too! OH, and remember,if you get runs in the paint,just block sand them after they dry,of coarse,and buff.It's gonna be fun ,you'll see......

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
Phil,

The wraps are only good for about 5-7 years. I have done custom paint jobs on hot rods and trucks for 26 years,and have done auto body for most of my life,and the only advise I can give you is........paint,paint,paint.Summit racing supply sells decent paint and supplies very reasonable,buy a paint gun,some paint and primer,and some sand paper,practice on your garbage barrel and go for it!!!! You can do it,I have faith in you......you'll save some big money too! OH, and remember,if you get runs in the paint,just block sand them after they dry,of coarse,and buff.It's gonna be fun ,you'll see......
Thanks Rick. I've used a number of things from Summit and always had good results. Also considering some of the Duplicolor Hot Rod Paints. I do have a problem with Homeowners Assoc. Issues so can't paint it at home.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrod 47 View Post
Thanks Rick. I've used a number of things from Summit and always had good results. Also considering some of the Duplicolor Hot Rod Paints. I do have a problem with Homeowners Assoc. Issues so can't paint it at home.
Phil,
Just tell the homeowners assoc. that you will cover all of your neighbors houses with big blue tarps while your painting, they surely will allow that,if they are reasonable folks,of coarse. Or maybe do it at night, no one will notice,well unless they don't like the color of the over spray on their cars,then I guess It would be their fault for not putting their car in the garage, see how easy this problem is to overcome?!!! Good luck with your project,if you should need any more advise as to how to deal with homeowners associations please read my new book "How to get evicted from your community in three easy steps"

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #8

Here's someone who wrapped their motorhome

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #9

Surprised more haven't done this. I am investigating costs for it.