Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

Wrapping a failed seal?

Under the front of the coach to do a complete service on the Onan and noticed this little jewel....

The size of the links has me mumbling to myself, so:

Is this something that is easy to replace, despite the looks of it? or

Is this something that you wrap a sock around it/zip tie the sock, then grease the be-jebbers out of it, or

Take is in for a replacement ASAP?

What say you experts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	124532  

Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Had that happen on one of mine. I cleaned it up really good and let it dry overnight. I then used a good quality black electrical type tape, and ran several layers around it really tight making it seal really good. Then I lubed that fitting and it held, without leaking any grease. It's been that way for about 8000 miles and two more lubes so far...no leaking.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
If they end is hooked to the steering box arm, have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth.

It is a ball in a socket. If there is more then the slightest movement, it's time for new.

If it seems tight, grease it often, to flush and keep the water out or see if a replacement boot is available.

They are not designed to keep grease in under pressure. You are supposed to pump grease in, to flush out the old contamanated grease.

With a replacement boot, you need to take it apart. That's another post.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
I would clean it and wrap it. Half the normal service interval to keep it filled with grease, and check it once a year for any play.

It will likely never be an issue>

If you choose to replace it, measure from the arm to the center of the fixture to be replaced. Adjust the new one to match the dimension before you tighten it down.

Getting the old one out of the hole might be a chore, but the worst you could do would be to break it!

Matt B
Matt B
1998 Monaco Windsor
oldmattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
I tend to keep equipment a long time, so the protective boots etc usually develop holes etc. I just keep the joints greased as said above and plan to replace it (them) if it (they) ever fail. So far, the grease has been enough.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
The reason I mentioned replacing it was another post was because it's not that hard to do, if you know the method.

You can just replace the boot, if you can get one.

Take out the cotter pin, loosen the nut, unseen in your picture, a bunch, and take a heavy lump hammer and hit the arm, on its end. The flat bottom end in the picture.

Turn the steering wheel for your best angle of swing and swing !!

One real good strike and "pop" it's loose.

No damage to the threads or joint, from the fork the sell.

If your changing the whole end, don't move anything while it's apart and adjust the threaded end so it fits right back into the tapered hole. Too long or short and it won't slip all the way thru the hole.

Once together, tighten the jam nut.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

led, seal