Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #15

After turbo injection of nitrous oxcide or hydrogen or Marvin the Martian and the Q36 explosive space modulator?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
That 200 degrees is what the water temp is, not the exhaust temp that is going through the intercooler.

Wrapping the outlet pipe will certainly not hurt anything but you may not notice any measurable difference. I would be curious to see what you discover.

I hear you on the engine compartment temp. My plan is to wrap the exhaust from the turbo to the 90 that runs under the engine. This should bring the engine compartment temp down. The exhaust is said to be 1300 degrees when under load. Not sure what the compartment temp runs at when going down the road (but I used 200 degrees because I knew it had to be at least that) While I was looking at the exhaust that is when the idea of wrapping the intercooler tubing came into my head.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #17

This is what I like about this forum. The input is great and it makes me work my brain,,, ouch!.

So wrapping the exhaust from the turbo out (maybe even to the end of the exhaust?) will help stabilize the heat in the engine compartment (not too hot) Wrapping the cold side of the intercooler tubing may hurt the actual design of the intercooler system. My question is "was there ever a design process that went into the intercooler system on these old Roadmaster Chassis? or did they do what ever worked out best? Seems the more I work on it the latter holds more truth. In fact I only got into this because I couldn't believe my eyes when I took a factory heat shield from the exhaust pipe near the turbo off to replace the rotted exhaust system. I will get a picture today and lend it with everyone. The piece looks like a grade one student made it. Again,,, it makes me believe the latter holds more truth,,?

joe
Old 03-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
After turbo injection of nitrous oxcide or hydrogen or Marvin the Martian and the Q36 explosive space modulator?

WELL SORRY MOST OF THE INPUT IS GREAT!

joe
Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #19

Before you wrap the exhaust consider the materials.

Wrapping in contains the heat which the pipe was not intended to do and as such may fail.

So a "better" plan may be very simple.

Heat travels two ways.

Ambient and direct...too early to remember real terms but...

The radient heat is in a pathway from the source and indirect is the heating of the air and hot air then touching the cooler stuff transfering the heat.

So get some aluminum or stainless steel plate or sheet and create heat shields between the exhaust and intake areas.

That will reduce the radient heat transfer while allowing the heat to dissipate from the system.

You can built it in such a way that air gets directed in the area to remove the ambient heat so it cannot heat up the intake.

Cardboard boxes make great templates to experiment with.

An ir thermometer helps to measure the effects.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Why not just install a couple blower fans like boats have in their engine compartments and blow the heat out.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #21

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427664551.257201.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  131.6 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427664572.815685.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  129.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427664593.158290.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  123.6 KB

I am not sure about you but I myself can't believe this kind of workmanship on a premier coach (or in those days I guess they were classed as premier)

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Joe PLAZEK
Ontario Canada