Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Man, look at the front of that RV!

Florida RV Wreck 6/20

More photos

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Man, look at the front of that RV!

Florida RV Wreck 6/20

More photos

Old 06-21-2007, 05:22 AM   #3

This is the photo that should be posted on every thread where someone is bragging about how fast they like to drive. 2 pickup trucks, one semi and a RV involved in the crash. One air lift (life threatening) injuries. What do you suppose the odds are that it was someone in the RV??

Makes ya want to slow down, don't it??

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #4

New report in the provided link says minor injuries??
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #5

Yeah, somebody has their wires crossed. Haven't seen too many $4000 helicopter rides for "minor" injuries........

Old 06-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ouch!!! They did say minor injury's but someone had to be airlifted so I wouldn't say minor!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:12 AM   #7

The motorhome rear ended a dump trailer and from the photos it looked like the whole upper cap and cabinets fell down ontop of the driver.

They were using a ratchet winch to pull the debris out in one of the photos too.

Now that I saw how the competition holds up in a crash I am glad I have a Winnie with a steel cage behind the front cap and surrounding the driver/passenger seats.

We just took the drivers comfidence course at LazyDays not that long ago and the reccomendation to stay back at least one football fields length from the vehicle in front of you seems much more reasonable now. They also recommended that you drive a few MPH below the speed limit. If someone passes you and pulls in right in front of you they will pull away from you more quickly and your safe distance will soon be restored.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:35 AM   #8

That's great advice Neil. After all, I didn't buy this rig to rush around and be in a hurry! I am so much more relaxed when I can set the cruise at about 62 mph, stay to the right, and watch all the racers fly by.

And I feel a lot better watching the average fuel economy on my VMS software stay in the 9 to 10 MPG range. That keeps the blood pressure down too........

Old 06-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #9

Ya, I hate following semi's because you can't what's happening ahead so you CAN drive defensively. Now that a lot of them have slowed down to save fuel, I find myself passing them on the x-ways.

Nobody should drive faster than their comfort level or reaction times. That being said there is an argument for keeping up with the flow of traffic to avoid becoming a stone that the current has to flow around. Nobody likes getting boxed in behind the "speed bump" on a busy urban x-way.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sure hope that everyone comes out of this OK. My first thought when I saw the photos and it was a rear end crash was if maybe he was tailgating. I know that this has gotten to the prevalent way of driving, but I sure try to hold back my distance, especially with the trailer in tow.

Ken
Old 06-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #11

"An object in motion tends to stay in motion" Something most people tend not to think of. If you happen to have something unsecured behind you and you get in a wreck, it will try to keep moving forward until it encounters something that tries to stop it(like your noggin!)
Old 07-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #12

As a cop, I've been to plenty of accidents where Med Flight is notified BEFORE the extent of injuries is known. I was glad to read that injuries were minor. I can't tell you how many times I was cruising along in the center lane when some jerk cuts in front of me and hits the brakes! Then it takes me 5 minutes to get back up to speed. The real advantage of an RV is weight- Just make sure everyone's buckled in when seated!
Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
Now that I saw how the competition holds up in a crash I am glad I have a Winnie with a steel cage behind the front cap and surrounding the driver/passenger seats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just remember that in most cases, the bulk of a MH is gel-coat, fiberglass front & rear caps and lots of 'glue', which results in major damage to the coach in even minor accidents. Ever look at what's supposed to be a front and rear bumper on a MH? Manufacturers are more concerned about how pretty they look than taking an impact; front caps look sleek but have very little safety engineering in mind.

Check out an RV bodyshop, where units are there that simply side-swiped or clipped a pole at 5 mph... I've seen the entire front or rear cap wiped out. I'm afraid that other than really high-end RV's, most take a minor hit with serious consequences.

Based on this accident, I can say that those front overhead cabinets and T.V. can cause serious bodily injury that I never thought about.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34A:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
Now that I saw how the competition holds up in a crash I am glad I have a Winnie with a steel cage behind the front cap and surrounding the driver/passenger seats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just remember that in most cases, the bulk of a MH is gel-coat, fiberglass front & rear caps and lots of 'glue', which results in major damage to the coach in even minor accidents. Ever look at what's supposed to be a front and rear bumper on a MH? Manufacturers are more concerned about how pretty they look than taking an impact; front caps look sleek but have very little safety engineering in mind.

Check out an RV bodyshop, where units are there that simply side-swiped or clipped a pole at 5 mph... I've seen the entire front or rear cap wiped out. I'm afraid that other than really high-end RV's, most take a minor hit with serious consequences.

Based on this accident, I can say that those front overhead cabinets and T.V. can cause serious bodily injury that I never thought about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard,

On your 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 34A the overhead cabinets are mounted to a steel frame that extends overhead and behind the drivers and front passenges seats to the shoulder belts going from floor to roof and then overhead. Many, probably most of the competitors such as the one in the wreck have wood there instead.

Like you said the competition does not put much if any thought into safety in this area do they.