Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #29

There's no 5.9's installed in any on road vehicles in the US after 2007.5 it's a impossibility your coach has a 5.9 in it. But if you want to make sure while the head is off a 5.9 has a 4.02 bore and a 6.7 has a 4.21 bore. The 6.7 was designed to meet the new EPA regulation after 07.5 and has a dpf filter and a host of other emission equipment a 5.9 never had. It would have been against federal emission regulation law to install a 5.9 in your year model coach so I'm 100% sure you have a 6.7 in your coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Many states allow you to actually rescind a purchase contract and receive your entire purchase price and sales tax back if there was fraud in the purchase. Been there, done it. If your owners manual says it's an ISB 6.7 and it's not, you may be in the catbird seat.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #31

If the repair shop can't tell the difference between a 5.9 and a 6.7, it may be time to find a new shop to complete your work.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #32
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If it turns out things are as they should be can the 350 be upped in power?

If it is a rear radiator RV there may be a lower drag fan blade available from Source engineering.

Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR

http://www.parleysdieselperformance....sel-pusher-rvs

I have done both with dramatic increases in performance and mileage on my 400 ISL
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #33

Thanks for all the responses.

Steve and BeachDude your info was golden. I can stop stressing about what to do.

I have to wait until Monday for the tech to start on my coach. I really hope it's the right engine. I've been living with that dog of an engine since day one, been thru the Rocky MT's twice and we survived.

I hope that this does not change the estimate price of the repair.

I've checked with Banks Diesel and they do not make any up grades for a Cummins 2010 engine.

Thanks again for all the responses.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake74 View Post
There's no 5.9's installed in any on road vehicles in the US after 2007.5 it's a impossibility your coach has a 5.9 in it. But if you want to make sure while the head is off a 5.9 has a 4.02 bore and a 6.7 has a 4.21 bore. The 6.7 was designed to meet the new EPA regulation after 07.5 and has a dpf filter and a host of other emission equipment a 5.9 never had. It would have been against federal emission regulation law to install a 5.9 in your year model coach so I'm 100% sure you have a 6.7 in your coach.

The EPA regs are dependent on the date of manufacture of the engine. In late '06 and late '09 the chassis builders stocked up on engines so in many cases, the '07 EPA regs which required the DPF didn't apply to coaches until '08 or later. Same thing happened for the '10 regs & coaches weren't effected until '11 or later.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #35

Thanks to all for your input. The VIN # on my coach listed the engine as a 5.9 ISB. The tech at the shop has confirmed it is a ISB 6.7L. The VIN number on my coach is wrong.
Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Call 1-800-FTL-HELP and have the last 6 digits of your VIN handy,so Freightliner Custom Chassis can tell you what engine and tranny they put in that chassis. And what year chassis it is (not necessarily same model year as coach). With 5 minutes of effort you can get the facts right from the horses mouth.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine