Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I think this is Johns wrecker in this photo(Poster)...........he owned and operated a towing business, maybe still does?
Maybe he can enlighten us from his years of experience and hands on experiences he had throughout his years of towing and recovery.

My procedure was tow from the front only using a wheel lift once they were finally introduced to the towing industry, while I had the equipment to pull axles I alway disconnected the driveshaft from the differential and tied it off to the frame. On the few occasional times it looked like not enough space was available to tie the shaft off safely the shaft was taken off in one piece I would never dream of separating the splines NEVER.

The coach above had the suspension completely ripped off the frame as well as the the end of the axle appeared to be distorted, when your 100+ miles from nowhere with one of two lanes of traffic blocked you do what needs to be done, this was also a fairly new coach. You can tow and recover more with a tow truck than with a low boy trailer.

As for flat bed trailers they work along the same principle of a flat bed tow truck for transporting and contrary to popular belief they cause considerable damage when operated by a untrained or poorly trained operator, the same "lazy" operator that takes short cuts is also the same one than uses the winch line to secure the coach to the bed instead of tie down straps or chains, if you think a 20, 30,40 or 50 ton winch can not bend, distort, or rip apart the underbody of a coach or heavy duty truck your in for a big surprise.

Diesel pushers are a very delicate vehicle to tow.

As a little back round I spent 20 years in the Air Force where I towed many a vehicle, I had a tow truck of my own for after hours towing for many of those years. I also ran my own tow company for right at 35 years after the military they were a life style for me not a job, only to be replaced by my one and only RV in 92010.

Just like RVing everybody has a different style of how they do things right, wrong, or in different depends on who you talk to.

Now I'm going to start a thread with a poll for those of you who have been towed as to what you were towed with tow truck or low boy I would be very surprised if very many were towed with a low boy other than those going back to the factory with the factory paying for it.

Link to Poll

For those of you who have had your Class A towed in say the last 20 years

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #30
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Lifting the entire rear of the coach from about 15' further aft than the rear axle most certainly transfers a LOT of weight onto the front axle.

When the rear leveling jacks pick up the rear of my coach, the front leveling jacks are picking up the front. Additionally, the jacks are very close to the axles.
I would indeed transfer weight to the front. When the coach is one the suspension the overhang at the rear reduces the load on the front tires. When lifted as shown that weight plus the weight of the axles is transferred proportionally to the front axle. One could calculate the amount of weight on the front axle if it were known what the tow truck was lifting. IMO the front axle is definitely over the GAWR(front).

When we are leveling the tech suggested in manual mode we lower the front jacks first and then the rear. In auto mode the front jacks are extended first. The front axle in either case is protected by the jacks.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #31
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You weren't home and the DW wanted to suprise you. The deed is done.

Not letting it happen is not a valid answer now.

The inspection came back clean.

What would you do ?
Divorce DW.

Not letting it happen AGAIN is always a valid answer

Who inspected what and what are his qualifications to inspect anything? If he's so sure about his inspection, see if he'll put his money where his mouth is; post a bond against any future failures related to possible unseen damage from this towing debacle. No?? Ok talk to my lawyer.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
Totally agree. Sounds like the driver was too lazy to disconnect the drive shaft.

Rich, the rear wheel is bent in the picture--can't tow from the front in that condition.
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Rich, the rear wheel is bent in the picture--can't tow from the front in that condition.
Suggest looking at the OP photo and explanation (not the other photo that was posted later and has confused things).
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #34
Winnebago Owners Club
The original post states the issue was a faulty starter. Should be not other damage to the coach.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote