Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

WTH !!! Help..again..

Hi all..again lol

I am perplexed as heck..the 1999 Dolphin we purchased has me scratching my head..
Wondering if anyone else has this ??
Can't figure why, in my opinion our rear view mirrors seem to be
" upside down "..
They are mounted ABOVE the side windows..The convex portion of the mirror is at the top of the mirror frame..leaving a very dangerous blind spot for the driver as well as passenger..Myself as passenger, look into the mirror and cannot see a vehicle that is right beside me at the front tire..I can't see it at all...neither can the driver ..I have to look out the window down to see what is beside me..
Can't adjust them to change this...

Concerned as heck...
Wondering if anyone else has this set up..if we switched the mirrors side to side and mounted them at the bottom of window frame all would be hunky dorey...but that would be an ugly job...the seem to have always been in the position they are presently in..

Once again, thanking you in advance..

Jo
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I could be wrong but it appears to me like they used mirrors from another vehicle and mounted them upside down to suit their design and didnt give a damn about efficiency...
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Could you post some pictures to help us help you? Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #4

Hi JoyalRV

Thank you for your quick reply..
I originally thought that as well but after really close examination it is evident these are factory installed..
They are heated, remote operation...

I'm thinking a purchase of good add on convex in corner of mirrors is only option..

Was just wondering if anyone may have same issue and how they got around
it..
Old 05-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #5

Holy Hannah guys..been going in circles for the last 20 minutes trying to post a pic or two but can not get it figured how...
Have the photos on my samsung phone as well as my Macbook pro laptop..
I will do some research to see how this is done and can forward them ..
Been a long while since last doing this
Old 05-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I believe you have Velvac mirrors, if so the convex portion should be adjusted manually. The remote adjustment is only for the large flat portion of the mirror.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #7

Hope these pics come thru..if not I will try again ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170527_200612.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	163243   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170527_192850.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	163244  

dezldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Having just replaced a mirror on my Allegro Bus (2000) I spent a lot of time on the Velvac mirror web site. I just googled 1999 Dolphin and although I did not get a good picture of the mirror side of the mirrors I did note that the shape of the mirror on the pictures are not the same as the pictures you posted. In my serching I found that Velvac mirror heads for the most part are interchangeable. The mounting post on the head will fit multiple arms. With that information I think that your mirrors have been changed and what you have are mirror heads that are made to mount bottom up. To find out for sure you need to look at the Velvac site and most likely call to confirm. Richard
Old 05-27-2017, 10:25 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
I looked at Velvac web site and didn't see any mirrors with the convex portion on top. I would contact them and see what assistance they can provide. May be a simple as someone put the wrong heads on the mirror arms or there may be a way to remount the glass inside the mirror assembly. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:14 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezldog1 View Post
Hi all..again lol

I am perplexed as heck..the 1999 Dolphin we purchased has me scratching my head..
Wondering if anyone else has this ??
Can't figure why, in my opinion our rear view mirrors seem to be
" upside down "..
They are mounted ABOVE the side windows..The convex portion of the mirror is at the top of the mirror frame..leaving a very dangerous blind spot for the driver as well as passenger..Myself as passenger, look into the mirror and cannot see a vehicle that is right beside me at the front tire..I can't see it at all...neither can the driver ..I have to look out the window down to see what is beside me..
Can't adjust them to change this...

Concerned as heck...
Wondering if anyone else has this set up..if we switched the mirrors side to side and mounted them at the bottom of window frame all would be hunky dorey...but that would be an ugly job...the seem to have always been in the position they are presently in..

Once again, thanking you in advance..

Jo
That the way National RV mounted the mirrors on many of their models. Post in the National RV Forum, many members will tell you the same.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:18 AM   #11
YC1

Interesting. Keeps the arms out of the way I guess. I am surprised you cannot get the top portion to adjust to see next to you. I would add a decent spot mirror if that is the case.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I believe you have Velvac mirrors, if so the convex portion should be adjusted manually. The remote adjustment is only for the large flat portion of the mirror.

Fred
Same here. Have you tried manually adjusting them yet?
Old 05-28-2017, 05:49 AM   #13

these are very similar, if not exactly, like ours, and both parts are adjustable... though I don't know why the argument about which is on top versus on bottom, they are both just mirrors!
and yes, any coach will have blind spots, though most have side cameras to aid in helping if you are changing lanes, etc...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "top down" installation gets the mirrors up higher, preventing the mirrors themselves from causing a blind spot (in your​ first pic, that BBQ and woodpile would be blocked from view). As others have said, the convex portion should be manually adjustable independent of the larger flat section. Also, the entire head should be adjustable as well, right/left, using an Allen wrench at the head/arm junction. Between the right/left adjustment, the electric adjustment, and the manual convex adjustment, you should be able to eliminate most of your blindspots, although I think any Coach will still have a few.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote