Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetti View Post
This posting is for informational purposes only. We report, you decide.........

..........Needless to say ... had WE known ahead of time, WE would NOT have stayed here and will NOT stay at a Wyoming State Park again.
What a ripoff! That state must be hard up for funds. What a slimy way to get them. A towed vehicle doesn't use more water or electricity nor does it have holding tanks to dump. Wow, I am really surprised, and no mention when reservations are made - that adds insult to injury.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
First off, $34 a night seems rather reasonable to me. We've stayed in places that were 3 X that and some of them were no more that parking lots with pedestals.
Why do you assume everyone has your income and investments and savings? Or are you suggesting those who have to travel on budgets should stay at home?

Quote:
The irony of pulling in with a $300K rig and complaining about a $34 a night rate is just too much for me.
So everyone (in your mind) has or should have a $300K rig and unlimited finances and not complain? That's pretty arrogant and insulting as well, or are you just "bragging?" I met a couple with a million dollar rig (or so they bragged) that would put your cheap $300K to shame, and THEY complained about paying $25 a night at a TN state park. Cedars of Lebanon SP to be exact.

Quote:
I would rather pay $34 a night than have the parks closed due to budgetary constraints.
Not everyone has your unlimited resources.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The irony of pulling in with a $300K rig and complaining about a $34 a night rate is just too much for me.

got that right
Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
I agree. State parks have a hard time making ends meet. They are still a bargain!
Not to get political but - maybe we all need to get our elected officials to better fund the State and Federal Parks.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
My goodness, children! Can't we all play nice!

Perhaps a lot of you that complain about the prices should do as I do. There are dozens of Christian Camps/Retreats all over the US. Most of them offer free camping to anyone that is willing to come to help out.

I spend a lot of time with the Texas Baptist Men Camp Builders doing just that. Free campsite plus they usually feed one meal a day and each project at each camp last three weeks.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Army Corps of Engineers parks whenever we can find them.
Barb

BTW, Wisconsin gives you a temporary pass, (no additional charge), for your toad that is valid for the days you are camping in their state parks.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHippie53 View Post
I'm finding this whole thread very depressing. I am about to become a simultaneous newbee and full timer not by choice but need of a roof over my head...
It's sad that people in a once great nation like ours have to live in old RVs and vans and even cars these days. I'm talking about those who do it not by choice but by economics.

Quote:
to the one who says $35 a night isn't a lot--ponder this...
It's the arrogance of those who HAVE and couldn't care less about those who do not have. These are almost always people who have been financially comfy all their lives. They never needed or wanted for anything. That's why they are unable to relate to the average Joe and Jane out there. I try to avoid allowing them to tick me off.... but.....

Quote:
...you must live in a 26' class c older than your child. You are on disability collecting $710 a month. You are not old enough to get Senior passes. Now, tell me again $35 is not a lot.
I can almost guarantee you that person cannot relate to you and your situation. They're too haughty and "up there." As for those senior passes, I don't know if every state is the same but we only save $2 a night at a TN state park but do save 50% at all the COEs. We almost always run into disabled people staying at the COEs. You can stay there as long as 14 days at a time. They move from one COE to another.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #50
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Let's tone it down a bit.

Thank you,

The staff
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHippie53 View Post
Not much call for Camp Hosts in FL,Ga,Carolina's and SW section of VA - winter in FL notoriously pricey but due to disabilities and repairs needed on the Rv I have no choice.
Try Ben's Hitching Post just east of Ocala FL in the Ocala National Forest. We're staying there for a few months this coming winter. It's only $265 a month. You wont find cheaper than that - but no oceanfront sites. And it's a nice place, not a trashy looking dump. The town of Silver Springs is only 5 miles away. You can live there fulltime and still have some $$ left over for food and whatever.

Quote:
Right now everything is gonna have to be dry camping as I cannot even afford a water hose and filter and the sewer hose is missing a connector. House battery missing and no generator-tap lights from the dollar store ... I cannot fathom what it must be to spend $100 on a night of camping without batting an eye...
You are not in an enviable situation. Some CGs allow people to stay for free or almost free for doing some maintenance work or easy office work when they're out to lunch, on break or busy elsewhere on the property. There are affordable places to stay or even live but you have to search them out.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #52

I'm not wealthy as some folks assume because I'm not camping in a smaller less expensive unit.
My MH is 13yrs old and needed some work that I could do and allowed me to get into a more expensive unit than I would normally buy.
But I know a few millionaires that became millionaires by being thrifty (or cheap if you prefer). Not by some trust fund or windfall. Hard working folks that question the price of everything. Just because you have the money should you be wasteful. Spend $8 for a bottle of water because you can afford it? And your rights to complain about being taken advantage of revoked because you have the money?
A survey was done a few years ago that asked what the #1 vehicle was of millionaires. The answer was a ford F150. Followed by Taurus. Because many of the people with that much money got it by being smart and practical. Not by driving a Lexus or Mercedes.
You should question the price of what your paying otherwise I would say your the foolish one.
I often bring my own firewood with me because so many campgrounds have just gotten crazy with bundle prices around $7 that's more than a buck a log.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
Some of the comments made on this post leave me shocked. Some of us are forgetting the purpose for state parks. It is is NOT a place for us RB retirees to park our expensive second homes, it is for families to get out and enjoy this great country.
I don't think I've ever seen that universal definition of why state parks exist before. Where is it written that they are NOT for retirees?

To me, this issue isn't so much about the total charge and what value is received for it... with all due respect to those who DO care more about the total charge. It's about inequity of charging the 28' Class C towing a smart car double what they charge an F350 towing a 40' fiver.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
FWIW

As the OP, I did not mean to start class warfare. I just wanted others to be aware of the facts. If you have a 5th wheel or travel trailer you pay one price, if you have a class a or c and tow, you pay double ... and you are not told that until you check-in.

The point is NOT whether or not I can AFFORD $34.00 a night. That is irrelevant. I don't get any better facilities than someone who tows a 5th wheel or a travel trailer. Why SHOULD I pay twice what the people in the next campsite pay?

Had I been told at the outset that I would have to pay twice what anyone else pays I would have had an OPTION whether to stay here or not.

Now that you know ... you can make your own decision. If you don't mind paying double ... go for it!
jsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well EXCUSE ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Why do you assume everyone has your income and investments and savings? Or are you suggesting those who have to travel on budgets should stay at home?

I did not say anything about my income. None of your business!

So everyone (in your mind) has or should have a $300K rig and unlimited finances and not complain? That's pretty arrogant and insulting as well, or are you just "bragging?" I met a couple with a million dollar rig (or so they bragged) that would put your cheap $300K to shame, and THEY complained about paying $25 a night at a TN state park. Cedars of Lebanon SP to be exact.

I said nothing of the sort! We have a BOUNDER! Entry level, Bottom of the line, pet friendly, NOT FANCY coach that we bought USED! How did you come up with THAT little gem?

Not everyone has your unlimited resources.
Really? News to me! I manage my budget and I have yet to find it unlimited.

You are WAY out of line here! How in the (theological place of eternal punishment) did I become the bad guy here? I live on the west coast where $34 a night IS A FREAKIN' BARGIN! Holy Cow! Get OVER yourself!

But I know you, RanCarr, you're always looking for a fight on this board. If I was a moderator I'd delete your account in a heartbeat. Nearly every time I see one of your posts you are flaming someone. You are indeed the ultimate thread killer.

Muddypaws out and unsubscribed from this thread.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #56

Quote:
I hope you find a way to get by. If you're able to look into becoming a camp host.

KOAs are notoriously pricy. The one nearest me is the Santa Cruz KOA. It's actually in Watsonville. Want a real shock? Schedule the weekend nearest Halloween. I believe they double their already high rates for that weekend.
MP - True Dat on the KOA in watsonville. I live not too far away and we usually go to this KOA once or twice a year. BUT ONLY on the buy one get one free weekends. Otherwise it is $100 a night

Turns out next weekend is one of those weekends, so we will be there!

On the TOAD double charge discussion - if the TOAD wasn't connected and just needed a parking spot would it have been cheaper somehow? I have noticed many campgrounds allow 2 vehicles on site, or 1 on site and one in a common parking area for a nominal fee.

IMHO I think many private campgrounds struggle to find ways to have the "desired" clientele. If you are in a tourist-y area, you may not want many full timers there as the other campers may not be looking for that. Perhaps they alter the pricing structure to influence the clientele they want to attract?

Chris

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a