Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
Try pulling into a texas state park and have a motor home, pickup toad, and a motorcycle in the bed. They demand three daily fees, ticked us off enough to disconnect the trucks unload the cycles and park the trucks in a lot across the way and only pay for two daily rip offs. Oh yes you still have to pay the camping fee as well. Could have stayed at a KOA down the road cheaper...
There you go. You found your own solution (actually TWO solutions)

datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #86

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
A few years back didn't Michigan State Parks do the same thing and charge for the RV and the toad. I think they changed their policy a few years ago.

Yes, here in Ohio 15+ years ago overnight camping fees only covered 10% of the state park operation costs. But that was also for the state parks where there was no camping, just picnic tables, beach, forest or a fishing lake. Now overnight fees cover 40% of the costs. Full time park employees once numbered 2200 now are down to 400+.

At some point families on tight budgets are going to be squeezed out of the RVing lifestyle. Yes my wages have gone up say 30-40% in those 15 years, but the overnight fees are up 300%.

Ohio had a chance to divert a small portion of the "Fracking" royalties back into the state parks, but instead choose to give the big "Fracker backers" a free pass. The "Special Interest" groups provided campaign $$$ to the Ohio higher ups to get that thrown out. How special.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #87

Freightliner Owners Club
just got to Devil's Lake SP in Wisconsin- charged for the MH and gave a courtesy pass for the toad for the days we are camping. we opted for the 35.00 annual pass as we will be headed to another WI. state park in a few days.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #88

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHippie53 View Post

I'm only 6 mo older than you and I'm moving into an old Class C 76 Ford Midas 26'er that's got issues...I only get $710 so I am having to seriously plan things out..right now I am stranded in Tampa needing a minimum of 3 tires ...need house battery, water hose, connector for sewer hose, generator...list goes on and so does life but not at 34 bucks a day. That's a weeks groceries.
Hang in there. I've been in rough spots too - two kids to feed, no job, no house. You can get through it and come out better than you could ever imagined. Ask for help from your church and from your city. Use food stamps, find a campground with showers and low fees. Volunteer whenever you can. The thank yous can be in the form of batteries, tires, hoses. Keep on keeping on and it will start to turn around. You can make it.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #89

Damon Owners Club
Interesting post and varied replies. I don't feel that is totally a matter of finances. It's more to me, a matter of principle. The state parks we have stayed in have resulted in charges from $15 per night to $35 a night. Granted it's less than some commercial parks. But the hidden fees, such as extra vehicle charge are just not right.

State Parks are complaining that attendance is down. Well, duh, wonder why if they keep raising their fees. I guess they feel the higher fees will result in more income. It would seem to my elementary brain that if fees were to be reduced, attendance might increase.

I don't know if all state parks are subsidized by the state, but I know some are. In addition most state parks I have been in are attended by unpaid volunteers, who take care of entrance fees, clean the facilities, mow the lawns and maintain the campsites in return for fee free camping.

The hookups tend to be minimal, with older 30 amp services with water and no sewer at the sites, but a dump station, no laundry services, clubroom or book exchange facilities. Just a little slice of rural or country America to enjoy.

Wonder where the moneys collected from all the fees go?

We have had a park in one of the TX Hill Country towns that we have enjoyed staying at. They have recently raised their rates to $48 a night. So we have found an alternative park with almost equal ameneties for a Passport America rate of $17.50 with no date or day restrictions. They will have our business from now on. The $48/day park has lost our business. Wonder how many customers will switch.

Oh, by the way, we don't have a $300,000 coach, and are retired on a fixed income. So we budget carefully so we are able to enjoy our RV travel.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #90

We stayed in the Rogue River, Oregon park over Thanksgiving a few years ago. My wife bowls so she took Mini which was not set up to tow at that time and met me at the park later. They charged an extra $10 (maybe it was $5) for that car but they told me if we had towed it in there would have been no charge. Other than that I don't remember being charged for a second vehicle at an Oregon state park.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #91

Gulf Streamers Club
Wow, all this because of Wyoming! Many interesting viewpoints stated here. State parks are set up as to preserve natural or historical areas. I don't believe they should have to be self-sustaining, they must help generate local tourism or shopping so they deserve a piece of the state's support. I have been in many state parks in many different states. The amount of vandalism and abuse in some is very disturbing. I have yet to visit any that seemed over-staffed or under used. This infrastructure requires money to maintain and many state legislatures seem to think cutting budgets is a way to save money. At most it delays maintenance of parks, roads, and bridges, etc. that will ultimately cost more to repair in the future. I think many park budgets,state and national, are suffering from this type of shortsightedness. Administrators of these parks are trying to keep them open and operating using various pricing strategies. I used to be able to rent a cabin in Yellowstone for $26 a night, now it's $130 a night. Disneyland is now $100 a day. Everything has gone up except our paychecks.

The comment about a 300k RV owner complaining about $34 a night is off base, a 2010 Monaco Diplomat is in the neighborhood of only $288 k according to NADA, not knowing how it's equipped. RV life is expensive, not something I'd do as a way to live cheaply or on limited income. Still ironic.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Response Received from Wyoming State Parks

I forwarded my original post to the Wyoming State Parks. Following is their response and then my response back to them.

THEIR RESPONSE:

Hello there,

Thank you for your email. However, your statements you posted on those RV forums are not completely correct.

The policy for paying for a towed vehicle states that as long as the vehicle that is being towed into the park does not leave the park, then additional fees are NOT charged. If you unhook the towed vehicle and drive it out of the park, then a day use fee to re-enter the park would be required. If the towed vehicle stays hooked up to the original vehicle or stays on the trailer it is on, then no additional fees are required. If the towed vehicle is unhooked or off the trailer overnight, then additional day use and camping fees would be required for that vehicle as all fees at Wyoming's State Parks are charged per vehicle.

When making your reservation, there is an acknowledgement that you MUST click before you can even pay for your reservation that states "Reservation includes 1 vehicle. Second vehicle will be charged fee at the fee booth" and that same statement is written on the confirmation letter you received once your reservation was complete.

The fees charged are not charged "just because our camping unit is a Class A". Per Wyoming State Statute, the fees are charged per vehicle (it doesn't matter what kind of vehicle it is) entering the park on it's own accord.

If the vehicle you towed into the park did not leave the park, or was hooked up to your camping unit or on the trailer during your entire visit, then please send me a copy of the receipt you received from the fee booth when you paid for the towed vehicle and we would be more than happy to refund you for the fees paid. However, if the vehicle you towed into the park left the park and came back in, and/or was unhitched or off the trailer overnight then all fees paid will still apply for the additional vehicle.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to call us at 307-777-6323.

Sincerely,
Tasha

MY RESPONSE TO THEM:

Tasha ---

Unfortunately, you missed the point. Examples:

1) I own a 5th-wheel or travel trailer camping unit that I tow in, I come into your campgrounds, disconnect my camping unit from my vehicle, hook it up to water and electric, put out my slides. My CAMPING unit DOES NOT leave the park. Then I CAN drive my vehicle in and out of your parks without paying an additional fee.

2) I own a Class A camping unit towing my vehicle, I come into your campgrounds, disconnect my camping unit from my vehicle, hook it up to water and electric, put out my slides. My CAMPING unit DOES NOT leave the park. Then I CAN NOT drive my vehicle in and out of your parks without paying an additional fee.

If you can explain the difference to me, other than that my camping unit happens to have an engine, I would appreciate it. I regret that I did not read the fine print nor understand that 1 vehicle includes MY camping unit. When we arrived, the gate attendant did advise us of your discriminatory policy.

We have traveled all over the United States, staying at State Campgrounds in every state we have visited. We have had to pay a State Park Use Fee (between $5.00 and $25.00 annual fee) that ALL those visiting the State Parks must pay. We have NEVER had to pay an additional fee because of the type of camping unit we own.

I appreciate your response. Now that I am clear on the Wyoming State Park policy, we will camp elsewhere.
jsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetti View Post
I forwarded my original post to the Wyoming State Parks. Following is their response and then my response back to them.

THEIR RESPONSE:

Hello there,

Thank you for your email. However, your statements you posted on those RV forums are not completely correct.

The policy for paying for a towed vehicle states that as long as the vehicle that is being towed into the park does not leave the park, then additional fees are NOT charged. If you unhook the towed vehicle and drive it out of the park, then a day use fee to re-enter the park would be required. If the towed vehicle stays hooked up to the original vehicle or stays on the trailer it is on, then no additional fees are required. If the towed vehicle is unhooked or off the trailer overnight, then additional day use and camping fees would be required for that vehicle as all fees at Wyoming's State Parks are charged per vehicle.

When making your reservation, there is an acknowledgement that you MUST click before you can even pay for your reservation that states "Reservation includes 1 vehicle. Second vehicle will be charged fee at the fee booth" and that same statement is written on the confirmation letter you received once your reservation was complete.

The fees charged are not charged "just because our camping unit is a Class A". Per Wyoming State Statute, the fees are charged per vehicle (it doesn't matter what kind of vehicle it is) entering the park on it's own accord.

If the vehicle you towed into the park did not leave the park, or was hooked up to your camping unit or on the trailer during your entire visit, then please send me a copy of the receipt you received from the fee booth when you paid for the towed vehicle and we would be more than happy to refund you for the fees paid. However, if the vehicle you towed into the park left the park and came back in, and/or was unhitched or off the trailer overnight then all fees paid will still apply for the additional vehicle.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to call us at 307-777-6323.

Sincerely,
Tasha

MY RESPONSE TO THEM:

Tasha ---

Unfortunately, you missed the point. Examples:

1) I own a 5th-wheel or travel trailer camping unit that I tow in, I come into your campgrounds, disconnect my camping unit from my vehicle, hook it up to water and electric, put out my slides. My CAMPING unit DOES NOT leave the park. Then I CAN drive my vehicle in and out of your parks without paying an additional fee.

2) I own a Class A camping unit towing my vehicle, I come into your campgrounds, disconnect my camping unit from my vehicle, hook it up to water and electric, put out my slides. My CAMPING unit DOES NOT leave the park. Then I CAN NOT drive my vehicle in and out of your parks without paying an additional fee.

If you can explain the difference to me, other than that my camping unit happens to have an engine, I would appreciate it. I regret that I did not read the fine print nor understand that 1 vehicle includes MY camping unit. When we arrived, the gate attendant did advise us of your discriminatory policy.

We have traveled all over the United States, staying at State Campgrounds in every state we have visited. We have had to pay a State Park Use Fee (between $5.00 and $25.00 annual fee) that ALL those visiting the State Parks must pay. We have NEVER had to pay an additional fee because of the type of camping unit we own.

I appreciate your response. Now that I am clear on the Wyoming State Park policy, we will camp elsewhere.
Ha. Good chance they don't have pull thru sites in a state park. You probably have to unhook your toad. All about the money now days. Everything we do has fees attached now.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #94
laj

as usual, more governmental double talk with no answer involved
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
State Parks

We have stayed at lots of State Parks and generally prefer them over RV Parks just due to the setting. But they are getting more and more costly. We have (expires soon and have not decided) a Passport America membership and currently staying in a place that (since it is off season) don't care if we stay 6 days on the PA rate of $20 per day. That is for 50A, FHU and nice showers, laundry and a pool so we may renew the PA as it certainly paid for itself this trip (we used it about 10 nights).

We also like the COE parks and NFS but our 5er is about 40 foot and truck is 21 foot so about 52 foot hooked up. We just left Theodore R. National Park in N.Dakota dry camping and thought I might have to cut down a tree to leave!

Anyway, we usually suck up the higher fees every now and then a nice RV park to catch up on landry, etc. But prefer State Parks. We have never been anyplace yet that charged for both the tow truck and 5er.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I lived in the state of WY for nearly 12 years off and on in the 70's and 80's. All of the State entities I dealt with at that time were reasonable and had a lot of common sense. The response you received from them is downright embarrassing..! It seems that their bureaucrats have been drinking from the same well used by their federal brethren.

There are some state parks that will charge a daily use fee on top of the camping fee, but most waive that fee for campers since the camping fee includes day use privileges. To charge another "camping fee" on top of "additional daily use fees" for a towed vehicle is absolutely asinine. I'm embarrassed for the State of WY...!!
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Wyoming State Park Response

After my response to the Wyoming State Park response from Tasha (See Post #92). I received another response. At least SHE gets it. Now we will have to wait to see what the Legislature does (or does not do!).

Their response:

Hi Jean,
After reading your reply a few times written out this way, it makes much more sense and does seem discriminatory to Class A units. I had never thought about it this way. I have sent your emails to my supervisor so that we can send it up the chain of command. Since our fee structure is approved by the State Legislature, we will have to commission them for a change in the fees, but I'm hoping that your email will prompt a review of the fee structure and illicit an attempt to have the fee structure changed through the Legislature.

Thank you for your email and I'm sorry you will not enjoy our other beautiful State Parks.

Sincerely,
Tasha

Next time if we plan to be in the State of Wyoming, we will check to see if any policy changes have been made. Knowing how slow government works, I will not hold my breath!

jsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetti View Post
After my response to the Wyoming State Park response from Tasha (See Post #92). I received another response. At least SHE gets it. Now we will have to wait to see what the Legislature does (or does not do!).

Their response:

Hi Jean,
After reading your reply a few times written out this way, it makes much more sense and does seem discriminatory to Class A units. I had never thought about it this way. I have sent your emails to my supervisor so that we can send it up the chain of command. Since our fee structure is approved by the State Legislature, we will have to commission them for a change in the fees, but I'm hoping that your email will prompt a review of the fee structure and illicit an attempt to have the fee structure changed through the Legislature.

Thank you for your email and I'm sorry you will not enjoy our other beautiful State Parks.

Sincerely,
Tasha

Next time if we plan to be in the State of Wyoming, we will check to see if any policy changes have been made. Knowing how slow government works, I will not hold my breath!

Wow!

Good for her for showing common sense and taking action instead of just leaning back and shrugging her shoulders.

And THANK YOU for being willing to do the same, and doing it in such an eloquent, rational way.

Could there be hope?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a