Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #29

We have stayed in Wisconsin at a state park (Richard Bong) last summer. We had our 31C toy hauler with our motorcycles . We paid a site fee and daily use fee. Our bikes were free. On the other hand the Illinois toll road was a joke . They wanted to charge us for each axel including the bikes inside the RV. We chose to get off the toll road.

BTW - it was one of the nicest campgrounds we have stayed in. This includes the high price private ones for three and four times the cost.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb42 View Post
were charged for toad in texas 3 yrs ago last state park there
What State park,none that I have stayed in.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Minnesota State Parks also charge extra for a toad.....but only if you want to use it, (in the park or out of the park).

Most Texas State Parks charge "a per day per person fee" for the day you arrive, the days you stay AND and the day you leave!
Stay one night, pay for one nights camping and 2 daily "user fees" per person....(stay a week and pay for 7 nights of camping and 8 "user fees" per person).
Buy state pass and no day fee's for all in your vic.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
First off, $34 a night seems rather reasonable to me. We've stayed in places that were 3 X that and some of them were no more that parking lots with pedestals.

The irony of pulling in with a $300K rig and complaining about a $34 a night rate is just too much for me.

I would rather pay $34 a night than have the parks closed due to budgetary constraints.
So let me see my unit $150,000 so I should pay no more than 1/2 of $34,yep I like that $17.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetti View Post
I just found out that Colorado has a similar policy. Their camping fee does not include a mandatory day use fee of $7.00 to $9.00 per day, per vehicle.

So if you plan to camp in a Colorado State Park with your Class A and tow vehicle add $14.00 to $18.00 per day to your camping fee!
They issue a Towed Vehicle Pass that is free (according to their website). Also $70 for annual pass ... so 10 nights stay and you are even on annual pass.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #34

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Let's see, if you get away with only paying $30 to $40 a night to enjoy the comfort of your own bed. Then so be it. You could always stay at the KOA for $50 a night or some stay at a Hotel for $180 a night. Stop complaining and be happy you can afford the MH and fuel and actually get to enjoy it. It's still cheaper than the Hotel and you know who last slept in the bed.
How about $17 to $25 State park's in good old TEXAS?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #35

Actually, I think the parks should just charge (and publish) a single fee for vehicle camping that includes entrance, vehicle(s), and camping. Why confuse everyone?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #36
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dubuque Iowa last night city campground a few feet from the Mississippi River 50amp $15. for the night, 3PM check out if wanted, clean, big but not paved sites. I've made a note to use it again if needed.

http://www.cityofdubuque.org/Documen.../Home/View/846
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHippie53 View Post
I'm finding this whole thread very depressing. I am about to become a simultaneous newbee and full timer not by choice but need of a roof over my head...to the one who says $35 a night isn't a lot--ponder this...you must live in a 26' class c older than your child. You are on disability collecting $710 a month. You are not old enough to get Senior passes. Now, tell me again $35 is not a lot.
I hope you find a way to get by. If you're able to look into becoming a camp host.

KOAs are notoriously pricy. The one nearest me is the Santa Cruz KOA. It's actually in Watsonville. Want a real shock? Schedule the weekend nearest Halloween. I believe they double their already high rates for that weekend.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #38

Not much call for Camp Hosts in FL,Ga,Carolina's and SW section of VA - winter in FL notoriously pricey but due to disabilities and repairs needed on the Rv I have no choice. Right now everything is gonna have to be dry camping as I cannot even afford a water hose and filter and the sewer hose is missing a connector. House battery missing and no generator-tap lights from the dollar store ... I cannot fathom what it must be to spend $100 on a night of camping without batting an eye...
OldHippie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
We are going to Wisconsin next week and I was told by the State Parks they allow the toad in free. this what I copied off their website:

"Any vehicle licensed/registered for use on a roadway and that is towed or carried into a vehicle admission area is provided free admission. Any type of vehicle can be towed or do the towing—motor home, truck camper, motorcycle, etc.
The vehicle doing the towing or carrying must have an annual or daily admission sticker. A vehicle being towed or carried will be issued a free Courtesy Admission Sticker allowing it the same access and privileges as a vehicle with an annual or daily admission sticker"
lets hope it's true!
This is the way our Indiana state parks are. Pay to get the RV into the campground and You get a pass for your toad for same price.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Dubuque Iowa last night city campground a few feet from the Mississippi River 50amp $15. for the night, 3PM check out if wanted, clean, big but not paved sites. I've made a note to use it again if needed.

http://www.cityofdubuque.org/Documen.../Home/View/846
THAT'S ME. !!! Watch the tug boats for $15 on the "Big Muddy" just don't get better that that!!!
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
Some of the comments made on this post leave me shocked. Some of us are forgetting the purpose for state parks. It is is NOT a place for us RB retirees to park our expensive second homes, it is for families to get out and enjoy this great country. Whatever you are able to pay should be compared to those who are making the average $34000 per year. Be proud of your great wealth but think of those families. $34 a night is $238 per week, $1031 per month! That is more than some pay for their mortgage or rent. If it wasn't for the bureacracy and inefficiency, state parks could be self-supporting, and reasonably priced. Shame, shame, shame for this egotistical attitude.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
We are going to Wisconsin next week and I was told by the State Parks they allow the toad in free. this what I copied off their website:

"Any vehicle licensed/registered for use on a roadway and that is towed or carried into a vehicle admission area is provided free admission. Any type of vehicle can be towed or do the towing—motor home, truck camper, motorcycle, etc.
The vehicle doing the towing or carrying must have an annual or daily admission sticker. A vehicle being towed or carried will be issued a free Courtesy Admission Sticker allowing it the same access and privileges as a vehicle with an annual or daily admission sticker"
lets hope it's true!
Unfortunately this frequently depends on who's working the admission office when you pull in. This is intended to allow a travel trailer or other camping unit in without having to be "stickered". That used to include the motorhome. It makes no sense to apply it to the toad as it's the one that will be going in and out of the park and the vehicle that will have to be approved for re-admission. Without some kind of sticker in the windshield you're going to be stopped each time you come back in.

You should not be charged for both vehicles, and that's how it used to be handled. It would be interesting to hear how it works out for you.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a