Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
Extra taxes on minimum wage earners that barely can afford gas to get to work and groceries just isn't fair.
WAY off topic but I know of no minimum wage earners that pay an appreciable amount of taxes, ESPECIALLY federal. With the Earned Income Tax Credit many get a net refund. The VAST majority of taxes collected are collected by high wage earners. That is fact. The top 10% of wage earners pay 70% of all federal taxes and the bottom 47% pay zero in federal taxes. Yes all pay sales tax... All pay taxes on gas...

So, guess what. Your state parks are paid for by the rich. Now are they OK???

I do not agree that state parks should be paid for entirely by usage dues. The economics absolutely will not work out. Private parks do not have to adhere to the high labor costs associated with state employees, have typically less land to manage and typically charge significantly more then state parks. Take away the subsidy and guess what, few could afford the state park, especially the minimum wage earners.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IIRC, the original post was about having to pay the price for two sites (toad paying same fee as camper) when only one is used. If I go to a park where the price of a site is $34 for a site, so be it. But I don't think it is fair for anyone, regardless of income level, to be charged twice the rate without getting twice the product.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #73
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the record I do agree with your opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
I am of the opinion that people that use the parks (city, county, state or national) should pay for the upkeep and maintenance of those parks. Non users should not have to pay a dime for them. Local taxpayers should not have to support your camping experience.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
IIRC, the original post was about having to pay the price for two sites (toad paying same fee as camper) when only one is used. If I go to a park where the price of a site is $34 for a site, so be it. But I don't think it is fair for anyone, regardless of income level, to be charged twice the rate without getting twice the product.
Maybe agency management has determined that people who have toads are more likely to be driving in and out all day long in comparison to someone who just has bicycles hanging on the back. By what I have witnessed that would appear to be a problem in itself.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
Maybe agency management has determined that people who have toads are more likely to be driving in and out all day long in comparison to someone who just has bicycles hanging on the back. By what I have witnessed that would appear to be a problem in itself.
So then, why wouldn't a travel trailer be treated the same? One vehicle set up at camp and the other vehicle driving in and out all day? (Not directed at you, TopFlite51...just wondering why different rigs treated differently.)
Old 09-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
So, carry a little tent in the toad. If they want to charge double park your car in another spot and set up the tent. Lot's of ways to look at this, as evidenced by the 6 pages of replies.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
To pldhippie53. I'm a stroke survivor caused by the bad drug advandia. I wad born in nob.'53 so Im only 59. To escape this nursing detention camp I'm stuck in I'm using my inheritance from my mmom to buy snd outfit a '99 GB pursuit. It's 29ft long but since it's just for me that's okay. I get 2044. from SSI disability but paying $34.every night would put a big crimp in my plans and disposal income.
I'm only 6 mo older than you and I'm moving into an old Class C 76 Ford Midas 26'er that's got issues...I only get $710 so I am having to seriously plan things out..right now I am stranded in Tampa needing a minimum of 3 tires ...need house battery, water hose, connector for sewer hose, generator...list goes on and so does life but not at 34 bucks a day. That's a weeks groceries.
OldHippie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #78

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Often the fees for toads are waved if you purchase an annual state pass.

This is why we don't do state parks - they have gotten to be too expensive. With Senior Pass, Army Corps of Engineers parks whenever we can find them.

Barb
I agree with the state parks getting expensive. Arkansas state parks has a discount for seniors. During the week 50 per cent off during the weekend 25 per cent off. Also all the state parks with an RV camping area also have an Tent pad with the RV pad for the same price. So you can let the older people sleep in the RV and the young kids sleep on the ground
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #79

dbol, don't know the name of park,was first night out of Portland nice park price was fine,i questioned the why a motor home was more than trailer,but was not upset we loved the month in texas, ken
bigb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #80

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
I agree with Topflite51. The military and schools benefit everyone. State parks don't. I love state parks but don't think they should be supported with tax dollars. Extra taxes on minimum wage earners that barely can afford gas to get to work and groceries just isn't fair.
Hold it right there!Are you kidding me?Have you ever gone to one on the week end and see how many parent's bring their kid's to state park's,now just think of it this way it get's them rotten little kid's off the street and grocery stores so you old people can go shop Seriously that is really part of education teaching kid's about other thing's other than city life,and it make's better citizens,who respect nature and other individual's.Yes I know there are exception's.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
So then, why wouldn't a travel trailer be treated the same? One vehicle set up at camp and the other vehicle driving in and out all day? (Not directed at you, TopFlite51...just wondering why different rigs treated differently.)
Knowing how government works or doesn't, there probably somewhere in the government archives is a study that says MH owners with toads drive more than people towing trailers (they have studied everything else). Or the study could have concluded that people towing trailers are poor people, minimum wage earners etc and this is their way of helping them out. In other words, I have no idea why they are charged different rates they should not be. I'm sure there is some convoluted reasoning involved, after all it is some agency of government making these decisions.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
Hold it right there!Are you kidding me?Have you ever gone to one on the week end and see how many parent's bring their kid's to state park's,now just think of it this way it get's them rotten little kid's off the street and grocery stores so you old people can go shop Seriously that is really part of education teaching kid's about other thing's other than city life,and it make's better citizens,who respect nature and other individual's.Yes I know there are exception's.
We do everything we can to avoid public parks on weekends, because we don't want to be around all the rugrats that are around.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Often the fees for toads are waved if you purchase an annual state pass.

This is why we don't do state parks - they have gotten to be too expensive. With Senior Pass, Army Corps of Engineers parks whenever we can find them.

Barb
X2! Our Indiana State parks were mandated to be self-sufficient several years ago, meaning they get little money from the state today. That equates to >$30/night camping fees for water and electric in some of them. Of course some of that camping fee goes to the private CG reservation company Reserve America. Do not plan to find a site in an Indiana State park for any holiday weekend, reservations were full within days of the opening window.
We much prefer Bo Woods COE CG in Illinois anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #84

Try pulling into a texas state park and have a motor home, pickup toad, and a motorcycle in the bed. They demand three daily fees, ticked us off enough to disconnect the trucks unload the cycles and park the trucks in a lot across the way and only pay for two daily rip offs. Oh yes you still have to pay the camping fee as well. Could have stayed at a KOA down the road cheaper...
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a