Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Xantrax Inverter Flashing??

Looks like I may have to replace my house batteries but quick question for anyone that might be able to help
The other night dry camping, I woke up to the fridge trying to re-light, making clicking noises, and saw the check light was on...turned on a light in coach and very dim, checked battery level and it showed empty. The generator fired right up though with no problem.
I noticed that immediately after this happened that my inverter panel in the coach just flashes led lights at me all over the board....
Is this a sign that my batteries are done??
I have run generator for several hours, solar panels seem to charge up batteries but then overnight things go haywire again, no power and flashing inverter panel??????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

You say the battery was empty? Do you mean not charged, or low on water? I had a similar situation, and it turned out I had a bad cable between the inverter and the house battery bank. It was carrying some electricity, but when you put any load on it it wouldn't work. Check the water in your batteries, check all of your connections and if you have a volt meter, see how much voltage is really in your battery bank. Fully charged you should have about 12.7 volts at the two battery terminals coming out of your house battery bank. That reading should be taken a couple of hours after you finished charging it. If you have any individual cells that are low on water, thats a good indication that you have a battery going bad. If you take them out for testing or replacement, make sure and draw a diagram of how the connections go on them before you disconnect everything. Good luck Steve

Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would check the water levels in your house batteries assuming they are the flooded type first. I would then check the voltage on each battery and make sure they are at least 12.7 v. Isolate each battery and check them individually. If you have a load tester, test each battery individually. Check the dates on the batteries and if they are very old expect to replace them. If not, investigate your charging system. It sounds like it is ok. I assumed you checked all your battery terminals and cables for corrosion and the connectors are tight. Good luck and Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #4

Thnx for suggestions....water level was very low, filled them back up and charging now to see what we have. Is plugging the coach in enough to charge batteries for a couple days or do I need to charge them out of rig??
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC0331 View Post
Thnx for suggestions....water level was very low, filled them back up and charging now to see what we have. Is plugging the coach in enough to charge batteries for a couple days or do I need to charge them out of rig??
I would let the house batteries charge up using the onboard charging system. It is probably working because of your observations in your previous posts. If your batteries were really low, there is a chance that the cells have been damaged in some or all of the batteries. Give it a day or so and turn on all your 12 volt stuff and see if you have any capacity left in your batteries.
I let my house batteries get too low once and the inverter panel went nuts and I shut it off. Charged everything up and turned it back on. All was well in my case. Hope your batteries are salvagable but if they are shot, Sam's club has some beauties that are priced right. Good luck and seeya on the road.
Cal
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You need to give some consideration to the amount of battery capacity you have versus the amount of power being used. An inverter sucks a LOT of power from the batteries, even for seemingly small loads (computer, tv, etc.). As arule of thumb, the inverter uses 11x as many amps from the batteries as the device being powered, so a 100 watt laptop computer that is using about 1 amp @ 120v needs 11 amps from the battery bank via the inverter. That can put a substantial dent in a couple modest size 12v batteries down over several hours. So can a couple of night lights left on, even though they are tiny in size.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter