Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to stevejohnson Send a message via Skype™ to stevejohnson
Xantrex 2100 Freedom 458 issues

I have a xantrex 2100 in a 1992 American Eagle, I purchased the coach used and the former owner never used the inverter. The panel is dark unless the generator is on and then all the readouts light and work.

The problem is that without the generator on the panel is dark.

With the panel on with the generator running I can turn on the inverter light indicating that it is working and I can adjust the amperage of the incoming current down to whatever it needs to be but then when I try to plug the coach in to shore power it trips the breaker so the reduced voltage draw has no effect.

Logic says that the 12v power to the inverter is attached to the wrong place and is only powered when the charger is on but where do I look to find that connection and where is it supposed to connect.

Bear in mind that I cannot plug into shore power as I have no 50 amp receptacles available.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Might be a transfer switch issue. In most cases the generator takes priority with the transfer switch so when you are running it there is power. It may not be switching over correctly. You may try to isolate the inverter then plugging in to see what happens.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:46 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to stevejohnson Send a message via Skype™ to stevejohnson
Transfer switch

I have no idea where that might be, what it looks like or how to troubleshoot it.

Do you know where I would get that information?
Old 05-24-2016, 05:18 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Your Inverter main battery fuse is bad. Look at the red cab on the inverter and follow it. You should see a inline (large) fuse, which then's go to the inverter / or house batteries.

I am a little confused, you state it is a Xantrex 2100, yet you also say it is a Freedom 468. There is a 458, but I cannot find anything on a 2100 (Circa 1990's). Be that as it may, the panel and inverter operate off of 12Vdc power. And yes the 458 has a internal transfer switch. This is because AC power goes to it, and then the ATS switches between shore/generator and creating AC for certain outlets.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:50 AM   #5

main fuse

Thank you for the response,

You are right, it is a freedom 458 model 20, inside the door where it is installed, the mount says 2100

I will check for that fuse, I just find it interesting that I find nothing in any of the manuals that go with this inverter that even hint at it's existence.

I do appreciate your help.

Steve
Old 05-25-2016, 05:39 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
It is up to the manufacture about installations. Xantrex gives recommendation.
The 458, is a MSW and is a Charger / Inverter combination. When on Shore power or Generator running it should automatically come on and go into charge mode. Yes you can turn on the Inverter, but it will NOT produce AC. It will be in a ready to produce AC. This happens when your shore/generator stops.
It also has a internal automatic transfer switch. This is why only certain outlets will work.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #7

Internal switch

When the generator is not running the remote panel is dark.

If I hold the inverter switch down on the panel with the generator running the invert light begins to flash, according to the book, this indicates that the inverter is set to switch on at the absence of external A/C.

The variable amperage switch can also be adjusted up or down and can be left at 15 amps, with the generator running, however, the thing that started this whole investigation of mine is that the coach is still trying to draw 50 amps when you try to plug it into shore power. I can turn off the main breakers inside and plug it in, but, when I turn them back on it trips the 20 amp shore breaker.

Even though the panel says that the draw has been reduced, it has not, when I turn the generator back on and the panel lights up the amperage control still shows the preset reduced setting, however it does not reduce after the generator is turned off.

I realize the inverter is set up with automatic switches, except, when it is not receiving power from the generator it does not seem to pay attention to them.

I am going to work on it this weekend, starting with locating the main inline fuse and checking it. If that is bad and replacing it enables me to keep the amperage draw down so that I can plug it in to shore power that is not 50 amp... life will be good, and, then I can see which outlets work with the inverter.

Thanks again for your input, I did find the page that shows the fuse in the manual, however, I have not found anything yet to tell what that power supply is supposed to accomplish, or what it does not accomplish if it is working.

With the generator running, the batteries charge and that shows up on the remote panel, battery levels and voltage levels all show, although, the battery levels do not seem to agree with the coach's battery charge gauge but I am still testing and learning.

I know I am rambling here but hopefully something I say will spark information that will help.

Again, thank you so much for taking your time with me.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #8

The charger in the Xantrex is a load the is not seen by your monitor that may be the reason you 20 amp home breaker trips. Also, if it is a Ground Vault circuit could cause the problem. I would not use less than a 30 amp 120 volt circuit for a motor home.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #9

Hi

I have a Freedom 458 and had some problems with it last year. Some of the problems may be similar to yours and it may be helpful for troubleshooting to follow my posts on the subject. It ended up being the internal transfer circuit board. Cost at Xantrex was about 380$ to fix. You may have to go that route and there is a service center near Portland. In the meantime here is the link (I hope) to my thread:

No AC power on GFI Circuit

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Geoff
Old 05-27-2016, 01:01 AM   #10

Thanks for your replies

Thanks to Mrboyer and Alpinedrvr for your input.

I am going to we working on it this Friday and have made arrangements to meet a tech from Xantrex on the phone for some troubleshooting.

These things are not cheap to fix, the main fuse alone is 70.00 if that has to be replaced.

I can install a 30 amp breaker in the panel and supply it that way if I need to, I would like to be able to run the charger on shore power if I can, I will let you know how that journey turns out.

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 06-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #11

Found it!!!!!

Thanks everyone for all your answers and suggestions.

At the end of the day, I called Xantrex and they suggested rebooting it, so when I went to do that I discovered the positive terminal bolt was finger tight, so I tightened that up and it made the difference.

Sheesh, all th is for a loose bolt.

Thanks again everyone.

Tags
xantrex