Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #1

Xantrex 458 Inverter

Recently purchased a New (to us) Motorhome. Inverter works great when connected to shore power (or gen power) just fine. Previous owner removed the Remote Control. I recently purchased a new remote control, went to hook it up and nothing. Am i a missing something? Shouldn't this be plug and play?

Inverter is a Xantrex 458.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GlennZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #2

There is a cable that looks like a telephone jack that goes from the remote to the inverter. Make sure that is plugged at both ends. The inverter end goes into the remote plug(there is another plug for batt temp) right beside it. Check that and see if that is the problem.

Geoff
Old 08-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #3

Sorry should have mentioned that. I tried plugging the Remote directly into the inverter with new cord that came with it, and nothing happened. I tried at the monitoring panel and directly to the inverter in the bay with no response either time. I am guessing their is something that needs to be done on the inverter?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

Hmmm,

When you are on shorepower or generator and you push the invert button on the inverter itself does the light flash? If so it may be your transfer switch is not transferring correctly or the internal transfer board is not working. If the light does not flash check all your connections and grounds are tight and clean including the batteries. There are also 2 glass fuses inside. You will have to take the cover off to see them. You could also call Xantrex and ask for help. They can also bench test and probably fix it for a few $$. I had to do this with mine (it was the transfer board) total cost was around 400$ but I was near a service center.

Geoff
Old 08-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #5

Thanks, ill look at it when i get home. I don't remember what the lights looked like. Ill look at the fuses tonight also.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my Tripp-Lite inverter I had to select "remote" for the remote panel to control the inverter.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #7

Do most motorhomes around 2003 always come with an inverter? I can find my converter but no inverter. 2003 Allegro Bay 37DB.
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When you are on shorepower or generator and you push the invert button on the inverter itself does the light flash? If so it may be your transfer switch is not transferring correctly or the internal transfer board is not working.
What does the transfer switch have to do with getting the remote control panel to work? I'm not seeing any connection at all???
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do most motorhomes around 2003 always come with an inverter? I can find my converter but no inverter. 2003 Allegro Bay 37DB.
No. It has more to do with price range (amenities) than year, though in recent years the drop in inverter pricing has made them more common in lower end models.

You may have a small inverter that powers the tv and entertainment gear alone. Unplug from shore power and turn the tv on. If it works, you have this small inverter but there is probably no way to turn it on or off.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #10

Hi Gary

Well for starters I'm not an expert by any means but I would say that if the transfer switch for the coach is not working properly the inverter won't know that shorepower is not connected. If the transfer board is not working in the inverter itself same thing. Neither have anything to do with the remote but I think the OP is thinking that there is something wrong with the inverter and if there is maybe it is not sending power to the remote. As I said before I am just a guy who has the same inverter and had problems with it and giving some ideas on how to troubleshoot it. I'm am a little offended that your post is making me sound like an idiot ( I won't lose too much sleep though) . Perhaps you could add a few constructive ideas to help rather than hinder.

Geoff
Old 08-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennZoo View Post
Recently purchased a New (to us) Motorhome. Inverter works great when connected to shore power (or gen power) just fine. Previous owner removed the Remote Control. I recently purchased a new remote control, went to hook it up and nothing. Am i a missing something? Shouldn't this be plug and play?

Inverter is a Xantrex 458.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
There should be a jumper where the telephone cord plugs into the inverter to jump when you have a remote panel.
My panel also works intermittently. The phone cord is not a phone cord as it has 8 pins so if you are using a regular rj45 it will not work.
WillsDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
My neighbor has a 2006 Doubletree Mobile Suite 5th wheel and all it has is a converter, I could not believe it. The 2003 Alpenlite 5er we sold had the Xantrex 458 Freedom inverter.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #13

Hi GlenZoo

Did you get a chance to look at your inverter/remote?
Geoff
Old 08-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #14

alpinedrvr,
Sorry i haven't had a chance to look at it, had a few family things come up. I am hoping to look at it tonight.

thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.

Tags
inverter, xantrex