Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Xantrex Freedom 458

I recently had the original Xantrex RV2012 replced in the coach with the
Inverter Charger | Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger | Xantrex

I am looking for a little education on exactly what the Inverter function of the 458 provides. In other words what 110 outlets does it power when when not connect to shore or gen. Thanks
__________________

__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 138
The outlets that are energised depends on your rv.every manufacturer have diferent specs on which ones are alive,i have a travel supreme and there 6 outlets that alive pk42
__________________

__________________
pk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redding
Posts: 3,412
On my country coach all outlets have power from the inverter except the refrigerator outlet.

I do need to turn off the refer ice maker to save battery when operating from the inverter.
__________________
Dean
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I recently had the original Xantrex RV2012 replced in the coach with the
Inverter Charger | Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger | Xantrex

I am looking for a little education on exactly what the Inverter function of the 458 provides. In other words what 110 outlets does it power when when not connect to shore or gen. Thanks
When your batteries are fully charged, unplug from shore power and set the inverter to ON. Then take an electrical device (110v) like a drill or a Killowat meter and go to each outlet in the coach and plug it in, turn it on and see if there is voltage. That is the surest way to find the inverter circuits. This will tell you exactly which ones are powered by the inverter.

If you have more than one breaker on the inverter, and if you want to identify which circuits from the inverter are in the coach, flip one of the breakers on the inverter to OFF and go test the inverter outlets again. The ones that are still ON are on the breaker's circuit which you left ON. Those that are OFF are on the second breaker's circuit. Usually, the entertainment center area is powered by the inverter, so check to see if your TV etc. are powered on when there is no shore power. It will be on one of the inverter circuits most likely. You can check those outlets too or just check the devices already on them to see if they are on.

I added my new residential Samsung RF197 fridge to the microwave inverter circuit so the fridge will be on all the time, whether travelling or parked. BTW, my Freedom 458 recently had relay problems and I replaced all 3 relays for $20 instead of a new unit @ $2000. It was an original 2001 model and finally wore out I guess.

John
__________________
John & Deanie, Corky and Benji (best buddies)
2001 National Marlin 390 DP
"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you."
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
When your batteries are fully charged, unplug from shore power and set the inverter to ON. Then take an electrical device (110v) like a drill or a Killowat meter and go to each outlet in the coach and plug it in, turn it on and see if there is voltage. That is the surest way to find the inverter circuits. This will tell you exactly which ones are powered by the inverter.

If you have more than one breaker on the inverter, and if you want to identify which circuits from the inverter are in the coach, flip one of the breakers on the inverter to OFF and go test the inverter outlets again. The ones that are still ON are on the breaker's circuit which you left ON. Those that are OFF are on the second breaker's circuit. Usually, the entertainment center area is powered by the inverter, so check to see if your TV etc. are powered on when there is no shore power. It will be on one of the inverter circuits most likely. You can check those outlets too or just check the devices already on them to see if they are on.

I added my new residential Samsung RF197 fridge to the microwave inverter circuit so the fridge will be on all the time, whether travelling or parked. BTW, my Freedom 458 recently had relay problems and I replaced all 3 relays for $20 instead of a new unit @ $2000. It was an original 2001 model and finally wore out I guess.

John
Thanks John, that answers a lot of my questions and the next time I am at the coach I will do as you instructed. I opened up the instructions on the inverter and the Freedom Remote that is mounted in the coach. It appears there are 2 branch breakers, a 20amp and a 15amp. From the remote panel instructions I see that there are 4 "mode" controls, Setup, Charge, Invert and Power Share. Each have indicator lights and levels as well. To turn on the Inverter I would push the Invert button. It looks like there is a wide range of functions and settings that I can program and manage from the remote display. I will just have to read up and check things out.

The reason I had the old Xantrex RV2012 replaced was my service shop told me the Converter function was not working. I was able to get the new one under the extended warranty that I had when I bought the coach. I have had RV's for 20 years but none had an Inverter like this so I took their advice and had the new one installed. I wish now I would have kept the old one it may have been repairable and would have had a spare.

The new Freedom 458 had a completely different Remote panel than the old RV2012 that required a different type of cable. They were not able to run a new cable to the spot the old remote was located so they mounted the new remote in the bedroom room that was more assessable. I eventually took out the old remote that was not functioning and added a small wooden cover over the hole to match my Hickory trim. So I still have the old Xantrex RC6 wall mounted remote Xantrex Rc6 Remote Control Panel With 25' Cable. If someone has a need for this remote for your use I would be happy to pass it on. Just PM me if interested.

Thanks again
__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 616
Glad to help. All you should have to do is press and hold the Invert button for a few seconds and it should lite up steady if no shore power. You can also do that while on shore power too and it will go in standby until no shore power and will blink while in standby. I leave mine on standby all the time as mentioned earlier. My fridge and microwave are on the 20A circuit.

BTW, I completely overlooked who you were and just answered your question. Thanks again Don for the front curtains. We are very pleased to have them.

John
__________________
John & Deanie, Corky and Benji (best buddies)
2001 National Marlin 390 DP
"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you."
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

The new Freedom 458 had a completely different Remote panel than the old RV2012 that required a different type of cable. They were not able to run a new cable to the spot the old remote was located so they mounted the new remote in the bedroom room that was more assessable. I eventually took out the old remote that was not functioning and added a small wooden cover over the hole to match my Hickory trim. So I still have the old Xantrex RC6 wall mounted remote Xantrex Rc6 Remote Control Panel With 25' Cable. If someone has a need for this remote for your use I would be happy to pass it on. Just PM me if interested.

Thanks again
Update the R6 Remote has a new home and is no longer available.
__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
buck454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NorthEast Texas
Posts: 671
Don't forget the two plugs behind refrig. b
__________________

__________________
competitive shooter RVer
2006 Gulfstream Friendship G7 8411 400HP Cum.
RM Sterling/'07 Chevy Colorado CrewCab 4x4
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xantrex SCP Wiring bcbowers Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 13 01-10-2014 02:24 PM
Xantrex Freedom HF error E03 topdownman RV Systems & Appliances 2 01-06-2014 02:06 PM
Freedom 458 Inverter Issue zzjea RV Systems & Appliances 4 10-21-2013 11:25 PM
Xantrex AGS lights on Remote and Controller deandec Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 06-12-2013 10:40 PM
Heart Freedom 458 inverter excessive idle amp draw jm80129 RV Systems & Appliances 9 06-10-2013 04:45 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.