Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Xantrex freedom 458 conveter/inverter

Last year had a new xantrex freedom 458 inverter installed in the coach. It replaced an older model xantrex converter/inverter. On the old unit the remote display was mounted on a wall between the kitchen and bathroom where the other displays were mounted. But the cable used to connect the converter/inverter to the display was different and there was no way to run new cable to the old location of the display without some serious ceiling and wall removal. So the new display Basic Remote Panel was mounted on the wall in the bedroom close to where the converter/inverter was located in a rear storage bay. No problem. Except with the slides in the display is covered up by the slide. I would like to relocate the display to a new spot where I can have access to it with the slide in or out. But i will need a longer data cable to do this. The cable has male RJ11 connectors on what looks like a flat phone line cable. Will a short section of standard phone line work if so can I connect the existing cable with a female to female connector such as this 5pcs RJ11 DSL Female to Female Coupler Telephone Line Extension Socket Adapter | eBay as opposed to tracing the existing cable back to the converter/inverter.

Thanks

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Look at both ends of the cable. Sometimes the connector are not straight thru. If you look at the ends with the tab facing up. You need to see if there is a seam on the silver cable. Normally the tab and the seam should line up. This would make it a straight thru cable. If one end has the tab and the seam lineup and the other is on the flat side then it is a crossed cable. You can extend the cable but you will need to make sure the pins are the same if you put a female coupler in between. I vaguely remember something different on the remote readout on the 458. check the user manual for any information.

-Brian

Old 05-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send an email to these people Wisonprojectsolutions@gmail.com
they have an adapter called an RA-F. The package contains two adapters and cables. One adapter fits onto the RJ-11 connector that is on the end of the existing phone cable. Then you use the cable with it to plug the adapter into the new Xantrex inverter. The other end does the same thing for the new remote control panel. This will allow you to use the existing phone cable between the two points.

I do not know what it costs. I called the Xantrex tech department and they sent me the adapters after we discussed the problem. The engineer I talked to was very helpful and knowledgeable about what I needed.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrv39 View Post
Look at both ends of the cable. Sometimes the connector are not straight thru. If you look at the ends with the tab facing up. You need to see if there is a seam on the silver cable. Normally the tab and the seam should line up. This would make it a straight thru cable. If one end has the tab and the seam lineup and the other is on the flat side then it is a crossed cable. You can extend the cable but you will need to make sure the pins are the same if you put a female coupler in between. I vaguely remember something different on the remote readout on the 458. check the user manual for any information.

-Brian
Brian I called the marketing people at xantex they put me in charge with the Technical Department. Ethernet only uses 4 wires out of the Cat 5 cable and the phone cord that exists in older MH is 4 wires. The people at Xantrex told me the Cat 5 cable is not wired the same for their use as a normal Cat 5. They sent me the adapter I mentioned above to enable me to use the phone cable.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #5

If it only uses 4 wires then why can not you make dimple adaptors to allow original cable to be used.

If you are not able then any telco guy or auto sound person could as it is simple checks with ohm meter to confirm cable then adding rj connectors or biscuits to existing.

Just 4 wires it would take less time to do than typing this with phone...
Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
If it only uses 4 wires then why can not you make dimple adaptors to allow original cable to be used.

If you are not able then any telco guy or auto sound person could as it is simple checks with ohm meter to confirm cable then adding rj connectors or biscuits to existing.

Just 4 wires it would take less time to do than typing this with phone...
Sounds easy.

What is the wiring diagram for the xantex rj45 ports. Cat 5 cable has very specific wiring. For instance a crossover cable for cat 5 has some wires swapped between the two connectors on the end. If you want to take your new xantrex apart and see how it is wired that should do it. Not sure how that is going to affect the warranty. One of these days when I have less on my plate than this week I will look at the adapter to see how it is wired. But RJ45 is an 8 pin connector. You can pick any 4 wires you want to if you are xantrex and if you cross them between the two devices it wont work. If you are running power from one device to another and you connect that power wire to a ground wire then that will be an interesting phenomena. The xantrex engineer told me they were not wired in the normal cat 5 configuration. I just looked at the cat 5 cables and they seem to be wired in a standard configuration but I am not positive since I have not checked with an ohm meter. The adapters themselves are colored red and black and the instructions show specifically which one goes on which device. The instructions also show that you have to have network terminators on the other ports of the device which is strange because you normally do not have to do that for ethernet. The adapter is an RJ11 Jack mated to an RJ45 Jack you cannot see the connections between the two.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #7

If the old one has rj11 or rj45 or something else it does not matter as it is the new one that matters.

Look at the new one then determine how to make the old cord into an extension.

If mew is 4 wires into a rj11 then get a couple biscuits and wire them as straight through.

Then you can plug new panel at old location and new inverter at other.

You will need to verify if the leads twist or not and the cords from the biscuit to device sould not be twisted.

If you have a straight through new extension and straight through new cable to connect the biscuit to device at either end the new controller with its new cable should plug right in.

If you are not comfortable making the connections most auto sound or telco folks can.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #8

I checked the link 1000 manual. It just says phone cored which is a 4 wire phone cord. Try the adapter and an extension. It just might work. It must be straight their. The manual gave no pin outs discription. Good luck.

-Brian
Old 05-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #9

I will check this out this weekend. There may actually be additional cable rolled up in the rear bay that was not need to make the run from the unit to the remote display. All I need is additional 4 ft to extend the placement of the remote display to a location that I have access to and not blocked by the slide.

Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
If the old one has rj11 or rj45 or something else it does not matter as it is the new one that matters.

Look at the new one then determine how to make the old cord into an extension.

If mew is 4 wires into a rj11 then get a couple biscuits and wire them as straight through.

Then you can plug new panel at old location and new inverter at other.

You will need to verify if the leads twist or not and the cords from the biscuit to device sould not be twisted.

If you have a straight through new extension and straight through new cable to connect the biscuit to device at either end the new controller with its new cable should plug right in.

If you are not comfortable making the connections most auto sound or telco folks can.
ok you can do that. The problem I see is a cat 5 cable has 8 wires. With newer systems running a cat 5 cable between them that is not a problem. With older units like mine and the original poster you have a 4 wire phone style cable between the inverter and remote panel. According to Xantrex you only need to use 4 wires just like a regular cat 5 Ethernet connection. If you know which 4 positions they use on the rj45 you could just add a rj45 onto the 4 wire phone cable. Xantrex might have used the middle 4 pins on the RJ45 or the outer 4 pins of the RJ45 A standard RJ45 Ethernet connection uses pins 1,2 3,6. Those pins correspond to the two transmitter and two receiver connections for an Ethernet port. There is no wiring diagram from xantrex and they did not tell me what the pins were. They did say that it was not a standard Ethernet connection. When I get some free time I will trace the wires to see what they are. In the meantime I would strongly suggest that anyone who is interested email the company in my earlier posting and see how much the adapters they sell cost. The adapter is well made and unless you know how to make cat 5 cables it is easier to get their adapter than it would be to make one. Or have a techie friend do it.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

When I changed from a Xantrex 458 to a Magnum MS2818 I had no problem using the existing "phone cord" for the remote panel. I think the wiring used at the RJ11 connectors is straight through.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
I installed a new Link 2000 control panel on my old Freedom 25 inverter. The new panel was designed to mate/control with the inverter.

A RJ11 connector cable was terminated at the original controller mounting point.

I extended that cable with a RJ11 coupler that had the same number of wire pairs and additional cable to reach the new controller location. It has worked just fine with the inverter for over 5 years.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:40 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
When I changed from a Xantrex 458 to a Magnum MS2818 I had no problem using the existing "phone cord" for the remote panel. I think the wiring used at the RJ11 connectors is straight through.
It is my understanding that magnum still uses RJ11 connectors and phone cords on their new models. The problem for the original poster is Xantrex and the new models went to a cat 5 cable and Ethernet type connection. I am sure it has something to do with the Remote and a Automatic Generator Start being able to communicate with the inverter and each other on a common bus. The question is can you use the old 4 cable wiring and make it work.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #14

Xantrex freedom 458 conveter/inverter

YES and yes.

If old was four wires no problem. If new is Ethernet and use existing four wires and terminate them in rj45 connectors using pins as described by the 10 BaseT specification.

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/..._10/100_base-T

Tags
inverter