Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #1

Yearly Cost of New Class A & Care??

Okay, you've recently bought a brand new Class A DP.

Assuming that you did NOT get a lemon and all your issues are minor things you can fix, What is the yearly cost estimate?

How many times do you reasonable anticipate having to take it to a service facility or the manufacture for service. once a year, every other year?

I'm asking about a new coach, not new to you and not one that rolled off the line with so many things wrong with it that you are kicking yourself for buying it.

We are trying to get a general very general idea of what people spend money and time wise once they purchase. It's puzzling to us to read how many folks make trips back to the manufactures on a yearly bases.

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #2

My maintenance expenses are very manageable. Yearly oil change 175, genset oil change every 150 hrs 85, genset fuel filter and air filter every fourth change 45, transmission fluid change every third year can't remember the price. Other than that I budget about 2k per for wear and tear items other than tires, speaking of tires for 6 it's about 3.6k every 5 years or whatever your tolerance is for tire date timeout. I hope this helps

Old 10-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
My maintenance expenses are very manageable. Yearly oil change 175, genset oil change every 150 hrs 85, genset fuel filter and air filter every fourth change 45, transmission fluid change every third year can't remember the price. Other than that I budget about 2k per for wear and tear items other than tires, speaking of tires for 6 it's about 3.6k every 5 years or whatever your tolerance is for tire date timeout. I hope this helps
X2...

When we bought ours we had a few typical minor bugs but being full-timers we didn't return to our dealer - 1,000 miles away and we didn't have to return to our manufacturer - Newmar - 1,000 miles + away. We went to the closest Newmar dealer - 35 miles away and they worked with the manufacturer to get our issues solved.

After that initial visit, we have never had to return to any dealer or the manufacturer. We have our oil changes and other routine maintenance done as we're traveling. There's no inconvenience to us.

We've done this for the past 10 years. It helped that we got a good unit! Good luck to you!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maintenance wise at 12 or15 K you need to spend about $1000.00 to2000.00 depending on the chassis and size of the coach at 2.5 years and milage I'll spend another $1500.00. Then it will even out to approx $800.00 per year till we reach 50 k or so. If you do your own filters and oil including lube your cost will be approx. 50% or so lower. This does not include insurance on the coach which varies greatly depending on a multitude of issues. We have a very good coach their were some hiccups in the first few months but were handled at the dealer. Most coach manufacturers at this point and time are very service oriented. There are of course some that don't feel this way but in general service is good from the manufacturers. Dealers on the other hand not so much. Chose your dealer wisely, very wisely!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Yearly Cost of New Class A & Care??

There might be some differences between chassis types and styles, but for the most part our M1 and M2 maintenance costs for our Freightliner XCR chassis with a 340 hp Cummins ISB range from $450-$750 per year. The difference is due to where we take it when in Florida or Michigan. I do some of the ongoing work where and when I can, such as air filter, lube, sometimes fuel and f/w separator filter. The generator maintenance runs about $150 every other year.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a