Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
Yearly service for our coach is about $350.00. That includes: complete engine service fluids/filters/BIG air filter and chassis lube. I service my own 10K diesel Onan because it is easy.
fwiw you don't need to replace the air filter every year likely a five year thing or more, filters can all be bought at filter barn for $100.00, that included aquahot fuel filter, two engine fuel filters, one coolant filter, one oil filter, one generator oil and fuel filter, the air dryer and engine air filter are 5 year deals and not that bad every five years. there is also 3 hydraulic filters on my coach but again every 5 years is lots., 30 liters for me is lots, do about 90 bucks in oil, 100 bucks in filters, does coach and generator with oil to spare. at 5-7k at year, you could go almost 2 years depending on engine.

Moxy

Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Another annual cost to factor in is fuel price. We just traveled 1600 miles from NH to FL in our gas rig. We stopped at Flying J's and noticed diesel fuel was $.50 to $1.00 per gallon more than gas. A new gas rig will be a Ford and will get 6-8 mpg. I use 7 mpg for planning. I don't know what a diesel MH gets, but it probably isn't significantly better.
my HR ambassador at 24K lbs, got 11-13 mpg consistently towing car on dolly, not enough on its own to justify diesel but rear engine, RR air bag chassis, even with the small diesel ISB and limited towing 6K it was still worth the difference and had tons more power than my BB ford gas engine in lighter coach.

Moxy

Old 12-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #31

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
reubenray.....just out of curiosity, why are you looking replace your 2013 Tiffin.

When it comes to servicing, there are a lot of factors. For example, some diesel air cleaners are $55.00 and some are $155.00, depending on what type the builder used. It also depends on if you can do your own servicing or pay for service.

I know some people that have gone from a DP back to a gasser just because the DP's are more complicated with more systems and more to service.

Gas Motor Home

(1) fuel filter - every 3 years
(1) oil filter - once a year
(1) air filter - once a year
(7) Quarts of oil - once a year
Lube chassis - once a year

Diesel Motor Home

(2) fuel filters - once a year
(1) oil filter - once a year
(1) air filter - once a year(s)
(26) quarts oil - once a year
Lube chassis - once a year

air dryer filter - every three years
hydraulic filter - every two - three years

I think transmission and generator service will be a wash since they require less servicing and use about the same components and filters.
tend to agree more or less with the exception of the oil and filter on gas engine, gas engines in coaches are extreme use and need oil changes to ensure a long life, 7K a year would drive two or more oil changes at least, they are using relatively light oil and under extreme use 3k is max mileage. same applies to the transmission, they are under extreme use in most gassers and require additional maintenance to ensure long life.

Moxy
Old 12-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
The air filter is the most expensive filter.......can last for years on a Rv engine......
Explained here, great thread, especially post #24 Air filter? Spike45
Old 12-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I find many RV owners under estimate their maintenance. My view is it runs about $2,000 a year if nothing major goes wrong. I run a tag axle, so it is a little more expensive.
  • Oil and filters run around $350
  • Batteries don't last forever, I have 8 - $200 a year
  • Tires are good for 5-6 years - they usually don't wear out. I have 8, runs about $800.
  • Stuff that breaks - pick a number but on mine it has run about $500 a year.

I do a lot of the maintenance myself, I find that you can't get a tech to really research or diagnose a problem, so you are better off figuring out the cause and then if you can't fix it yourself, get it fixed.

This also doesn't cover your own stupidity, for example I recently managed to break the drivers seat base because I left the seat in the reclined position and tried to open the slide. It trapped the seat back and bent the whole seat over to the side. I got really lucky because Villa who make the seat only charged $65 for a replacement base. But you get the idea.

I've been lucky that nothing big has ever failed on mine - but some are not so lucky. I never hit the road without having the resources available to pay for a $10,000 repair because it can happen.
having a similar coach I think you are a little high, batteries last 7 or 8 if looked after reasonably, not sure which engine you have big cat or cummins I expect, about 38 litres, about $100-$120 hear in the north and all filter for whole coach are $100 at filter barn shipped, my coach take 30 or so for generator and engine so engine oil only is about $110.00.

Now tires is one I always take issue with, mine are 7 years old, has three removed from rims and inspected, they are as new, Goodyear had no issues with the tires and recommended another check in two years, they are like new as far as tread, so every 5-6 years is way off in my opinion, if mine pass again in two years they will in the area of 10 years old, I also have 8 and they run in the area of 4-500 a piece or 4K every 10 years give or take, the real difference in tires regardless of type of coach is the extra we have on tags, tires are tires and size dictates price increases,

so imho, stuff breaks in all coach's, fridges, air cond, etc are the same regardless of engine set up, tires are tires, yes we have a couple of extra tires, gas coaches would need three or four oil changes in the mileage I drive, and batteries, there are plenty of all electric gassers so the battery issue is a wash, so I don't think that maintenance is that much difference if you stay away from RV dealerships.

Moxy
Old 12-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
K & N Filter 300 bucks ..Done, Rotella 15/40 @ wally world $14 Gallon, Donaldson Filters for Cummins (2 Fuel, 1 Oil, 1 Hyd) 65 bucks at Find It Parts, 2.5 Gallons of Hyd Oil 35 bucks, I come up with 198 bucks for Fluid Serrvice per year, Cat filters are slightly more, If I had a Cat that's all I would use, Goodies that aren't a necessity is what's expensive, LOL! Batteries, Tires Etc. depends on your driving/maintenance habits and weather you buy good or cheap.

yup x 2
Old 12-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We put about 10K on our coach each year. For that reason I change the air filter every season. I believe in clean air filters. The filter minder is ABSOLUTELY useless and can never be used to determine if a filter needs changing. By the time a filter minder actually moves, your filter is probably thousands of miles past changing.
manufactures and most experts would dissuade you from changing yearly, you raise the possibility of dirt getting in engine every time you change filter, a filter needs to be used to be efficient, new filters are not as efficient as one with use, they get better with age, can I have your old ones lol.

Moxy
Old 12-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
manufactures and most experts would dissuade you from changing yearly, you raise the possibility of dirt getting in engine every time you change filter, a filter needs to be used to be efficient, new filters are not as efficient as one with use, they get better with age, can I have your old ones lol.

Moxy

I agree with Moxy on this. The Farr designed Eco filter the chassis builders like requires you to open the clean side of the air intake plumbing when the filter is changed because of the throwaway housing. Every time you make this change there is a fair possibly of causing an intake leak on the clean side. As Moxy said, a new filter is not quite as efficient as a filter with an established "dust cake". I'm on a three year replacement schedule for the air filter. I've decided to redesign my intake/air filter system & use a fixed housing & replaceable filter element next time I'm due for a filter change.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of good information has been posted, I think to get a good picture of what your cost will be on servicing the RV would be determine which chassis you are going to get. Then go to that web site and look at the maintenance requirements. If you do your own service it will be a lot cheaper. I have an older Freightliner that goes by miles and months. By the time it gets to the 3 year maintenance it is big $$$ but I have to pay freightliner 130.00 per hour labor.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
A lot of good information has been posted, I think to get a good picture of what your cost will be on servicing the RV would be determine which chassis you are going to get. Then go to that web site and look at the maintenance requirements. If you do your own service it will be a lot cheaper. I have an older Freightliner that goes by miles and months. By the time it gets to the 3 year maintenance it is big $$$ but I have to pay freightliner 130.00 per hour labor.
Labor rates today for anything is high, it is to the point, the labor on a bill is more than the parts for the job One being able to do their own service work sure saves a lot of money when working on anything in todays world.......
Old 12-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #39

What I keep seeing with the added cost of the DP's is all the goodies and the extra weight that make them "better" also drive up the cost over a gasser. More money in tires, batteries and systems as well as the cost of maintenance on the engine/drivetrain. It is not one line item that is a killer. It is the aggregate cost of the bigger, heavier, fancier DP that is the issue for those of us with budget concerns. If one does not need the tow capacity or the floor space of a big unit then it really does become a question of buying luxury over capacity. We all like to be pampered but some of us can afford more pampering than others. There is the balance.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DP lasts a long time

You mentioned that this will be your last MH and plan to keep it for 10 - 15 years. That is a good argument for getting a DP. Those engine/transmission systems are designed to last longer than you will. As far as maintenance is concerned, yeah, the DP will be higher but at least in the case of oil/filter change, every 15K rather than 7K as with gas. If you check around you can find a DP in the 35' range that will give you better fuel mileage than a gasser. I get 10.2 - 11 MPG with my 2013 Tiffin Allegro RED (35'). I also drive at or below the speed limit which helps a lot.
Good luck!
Old 12-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
The difference in annual maintenance for gas vs. diesel is negligible. If cost is your primary concern, depreciation is by far and away your greatest cost, especially if buying new. It far outweighs all other costs.

A good used rig, diesel or gas is the best value, let someone else lose on the massive depreciation!
Good luck!

Cheers
Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #42

Gas vs diesel never ending I have had both difference $$$$ same as house gas = 1200square Ft track home diesel =4000 square Ft custom home I could afford a new gas or a use diesel I had a use gas I bought a used diesel love it I have had 5 rv total like the diesel best who would not I am with out any rv now getting the itch again what will I get gas why $$$ no matter how you look at it that's the difference I'm more of a motorhome guy than tt guy I think that would be cheap but if you want cheap I think Walmart still sells tents you just have to draw a line on comfort and $$ . Now that you are totally confuse just Get what you like if you can afford it

Tags
diesel, gas, maintenance