Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #71

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Our yearly travels will be between 5000 to 7000 per year.
As many have stated, a diesel is intended for high mileage use. If you drive 5-7K/year and keep it 15 years, your total miles will be 105K at most, well within the capability of a Ford V10. Based on your intended usage, the answer is gas. Save your money.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #72

Happy Holidays??? MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR (old school)

Old 12-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
I am thinking a gas rig would be the best for a number of reason. Now if I can find the perfect floorplan in 38' or less. Newmar has a new model out this year (Canyon Star 3612) that I am looking at hard. I already know I can upgrade to a 26000 lb chassis to give me the CCC that I want.

When we go to the Tampa RV Supershow we will be looking at everything looking for the perfect floorplan. I also hope I can pick Bob Tiffin's brain for any future models coming out. Being we so close to a lot dealers we may look at some used DP models, but the price would have to be less than I know what I can get the Canyon Star for.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #74
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
reubenray

I have not read through all 6 pages of comments this may have been mentioned but have you driven a 36-40 ft diesel and gasser up and down hills or mountains. Spend an hour or so driving each, then imagine towing another 3 thousand pounds. The chassis are different I have found the handling and overal roadability on a diesel is far superior. Even going around turns in traffic is easier. A diesel from a well known reputable company a few years old in my opinion would be the best way to go. If you are going to drive just a few thousand miles each year up and down I-95 or back and forth on I-10 and stay parked most of the time then a gasser may be the way to go. Another thing to keep in mind are the new vehicle bugs that can run into a few years of straightening out. Looking at the new rigs at the shows is only half of the decision process because they all look good. Good luck
Old 12-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am thinking a gas rig would be the best for a number of reason. Now if I can find the perfect floorplan in 38' or less. Newmar has a new model out this year (Canyon Star 3612) that I am looking at hard. I already know I can upgrade to a 26000 lb chassis to give me the CCC that I want.

When we go to the Tampa RV Supershow we will be looking at everything looking for the perfect floorplan. I also hope I can pick Bob Tiffin's brain for any future models coming out. Being we so close to a lot dealers we may look at some used DP models, but the price would have to be less than I know what I can get the Canyon Star for.

Between Tampa and Fort Myers, 120 miles south, there are many large dealers. North Trails in Fort Myers is Newmar's biggest dealer.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
reubenray

I have not read through all 6 pages of comments this may have been mentioned but have you driven a 36-40 ft diesel and gasser up and down hills or mountains. Spend an hour or so driving each, then imagine towing another 3 thousand pounds. The chassis are different I have found the handling and overal roadability on a diesel is far superior. Even going around turns in traffic is easier. A diesel from a well known reputable company a few years old in my opinion would be the best way to go. If you are going to drive just a few thousand miles each year up and down I-95 or back and forth on I-10 and stay parked most of the time then a gasser may be the way to go. Another thing to keep in mind are the new vehicle bugs that can run into a few years of straightening out. Looking at the new rigs at the shows is only half of the decision process because they all look good. Good luck

This is why the gas/diesel argument is a false one for most owners. A 40' coach with 4 slides is likely going to be above the GVWR of a gas chassis unless some serious compromises have been made. At 20-24k GVWR the gas chassis offer a serious option. Much above that is diesel territory.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 12-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Well said Steve.
I guess I have never ask but do they even make 40-45' gassers with slides?

I knew what we wanted long before purchase.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Well said Steve.

NO, The drive line would be a mile long....
Old 12-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
reubenray

I have driven through the mountains of Arkansas and Tennessee. I did get into the loud howling a few times. I learned early to get a running start if possible at some of them. Several times it was 18 wheelers that slowed me down. My budget is a big part of what we get.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Well said Steve.

There have been some 40' built over the years. Currently Winnebago builds a Adventurer that measures 39'+. It has a GVWR OF 26k and a GCWR of 30k. I'm sure there are others.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 12-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #81

Seems to me that some of these discussions would be better over a glass of beer and some ribs, and probably end with better conclusions...if buying a used diesel, would these timing considerations as to the air filter changes really make a difference? Is the diesel all that delicate?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
Seems to me that some of these discussions would be better over a glass of beer and some ribs, and probably end with better conclusions...if buying a used diesel, would these timing considerations as to the air filter changes really make a difference? Is the diesel all that delicate?
Dirt dust ingestion......yes. And if it occurs, one's wallet will be a lot lighter
Determination of Dust Ingestion on Diesel Engines

Some reading for one's spare time https://www.google.com/search?q=engi...com&gws_rd=ssl

Beer and ribs and a fire sure sound great though Rodger!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #83

The age of the owner may also be relevant when you are looking at low to mid 30 feet. If you have a family and some toys, and take two week vacations, I think the arguments are not as strong for a diesel, when you consider the newer F-53 chassis.

On the reverse side, now as a senior citizen, I kind of like quiet, extra margins for safety, and my reactions are not as fast as when I was 40, so I'm drawn to a diesel and a comfort drive. I'm also drawn to longer lengths as bathrooms are more important than when I was younger and I might want to install a hydraulic lift some day. You don't have to haul a toad, you can rent one.

I met an older h and w who had stopped outside my home with the 37 foot, 3 year old gas rig and now they were not hauling a toad and yes they had about 20 years of experience with 3 different motorhomes. They were quite happy and the wife used her cane to get down the stairs. The only thing they didn't like was the service from their local dealer.

I just think some owners get up onto their high horses and forget how personal these decisions are and how far the gas F-53 chassis has come in closing the gap. I was told to go drive one, I did, in fact on the same day drove the same 34 length in gas and diesel. Maybe some of the older experts need to do the same and sure, I'm still learning.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #84

Thanks palehorse89, I will read and expand my knowledge. When I buy my motorhome, beer and ribs will be available, even for the cranky ones like me.

Tags
diesel, gas, maintenance