Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
The age of the owner may also be relevant when you are looking at low to mid 30 feet. If you have a family and some toys, and take two week vacations, I think the arguments are not as strong for a diesel, when you consider the newer F-53 chassis.

On the reverse side, now as a senior citizen, I kind of like quiet, extra margins for safety, and my reactions are not as fast as when I was 40, so I'm drawn to a diesel and a comfort drive. I'm also drawn to longer lengths as bathrooms are more important than when I was younger and I might want to install a hydraulic lift some day. You don't have to haul a toad, you can rent one.

I met an older h and w who had stopped outside my home with the 37 foot, 3 year old gas rig and now they were not hauling a toad and yes they had about 20 years of experience with 3 different motorhomes. They were quite happy and the wife used her cane to get down the stairs. The only thing they didn't like was the service from their local dealer.

I just think some owners get up onto their high horses and forget how personal these decisions are and how far the gas F-53 chassis has come in closing the gap. I was told to go drive one, I did, in fact on the same day drove the same 34 length in gas and diesel. Maybe some of the older experts need to do the same and sure, I'm still learning.
Number one factor when looking to buy is $$$$$$ , and this apply's to anything we buy.........Buy what you can afford/maintain , like the floor plan(Biggest item) and will/can the chassis do what I need it to do.....? Life is good

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #86

I read the first link palehorse89, but I don't think that anyone suggested that changing the filter more often would avoid a dusted problem or that scheduled maintenance was not soon enough. Seems like the dusted issue was more of improper installation or not changing the filter on schedule...just leaving it on too long or maybe a poor quality filter.

Sort of the same with the other links. I don't think that delicate implies, for me, that one can get away without doing the filter changes...any engine can only suffer so much from lack of maintenance, or poor quality oils or filters.

I also don't see the material problem with changing the filter more often - the potential for damage as suggested.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I read the first link palehorse89, but I don't think that anyone suggested that changing the filter more often would avoid a dusted problem or that scheduled maintenance was not soon enough. Seems like the dusted issue was more of improper installation or not changing the filter on schedule...just leaving it on too long or maybe a poor quality filter.

Sort of the same with the other links. I don't think that delicate implies, for me, that one can get away without doing the filter changes...any engine can only suffer so much from lack of maintenance.
The first link Rodger was a thread by spike45 to simply direct others to the fact of improper intake plumbing/filters and what to look for is all. Read up on Gary's various thread's on here......a lot of first hand knowledge from him with the field years to back him up......he takes great photo's also, look at his blog.
One can change the filter every 6 months if one chooses to....
What work for one , just not work for others.....
Old 12-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #88

"What work for one , just not work for others....."

Yeah, exactly my original point. Glad to see you capitulated over the ribs and beer.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
NO, The drive line would be a mile long....
this is interesting... allow me a wild thought... why wouldn't the coach manufacturers make gas pushers? apparently there are demands and there is a market there
Old 12-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse introduces new gas/diesel pusher chassis this was from 2006....
Old 12-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
awesome, it looks like workhorse does have a gas pusher since 2006!! op, your issue is resolved - just go get a gas pusher, you'll be good on both ends.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #92

I think a bit more research, maybe by me, is in order. My understanding is that you are not gonna find much out there in a gas pusher because of the need by workhorse for an engine to match with their chassis. I believe the engine used in the introduction models has been discontinued. I don't think Ford has any incentive to make a gas pusher because their sales have been so good of their 2008/2009 F-53 super duty class A rv chassis and V10. Its the old farts that are stuck on diesel. (I'm an old fart)
Old 12-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #93

here you go - 08 winne adventurer gas pusher
2008 WINNEBAGO ADVENTURER 37GL UFO CHASSIS 415HP 13K MI (gilbert) $86500 - RV Loco
Old 12-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #94

A VERY RARE - VERY EXPENSIVE WHEN NEW. 8.1 LITER Not exactly evidence of a reasonable number of gas diesel pushers being produced CountryFit. That is the engine that was discontinued as I understand it. Not much out there stills seems accurate.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #95

Having a gas rig means I don't know squat about diesel other than being entertained by threads such as this one. However, I do remember my boss, being an avid boater, always had to have the best Sea Ray Cruiser in the marina. He had a beautiful 40' with twin 454 Chevy's. Another boater got a 42'. Boss moved up to a 50' with now twin diesels. Couple of months later he comes into work complaining to the heavens how he hated those twin diesels and how much time and money it cost him every year in maintenance and he did all the work himself. Had hard time selling it but eventually traded for 39' twin gas.
OP, doesn't Tiffin make a great 38' full wall slide bath and a half gas rig, something like 38Q? Comparison Georgetown model 378 with the same floor plan 70K less. Just saying......
Old 12-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #96

Quote:
A VERY RARE - VERY EXPENSIVE WHEN NEW. 8.1 LITER Not exactly evidence of a reasonable number of gas diesel pushers being produced CountryFit. That is the engine that was discontinued as I understand it. Not much out there stills seems accurate.
well, if that is the case, op is out of luck
either get a diesel to enjoy the ride, paying a higher fuel and a little extra maintenance; or go for a gas with full ears of noise plus slew of shortages...
Old 12-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Had to look that one up Is all's I was guessing about
Like I always say on here......to each their own, if it works for ya, and you can sleep good at night........and you are happy, that is all that counts
Happy Holiday's to all
Same to you
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
No capitulation.....just a level of maturity. Took a few minutes and read some of your other posts....seems like it's your M.O. to argue and criticize.
I call a spade a spade, when I see people not just you but people in general advocating useless maintenance and others who are new to the "sport" reading that stuff and taking it as gospel cause someone said it was so, it does irritate me, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and when I take the time to point this out people like yourself take offense and toss out all kinds of accusations and when the evidence is put in front of them, all of the sudden I'm the immature one,

so I'lll spell it out, your practice is wrong and detrimental, doesn't matter if you can afford it or not, all of the experts agree, you don't seem to like it so calling me immature is your answer.

Don't start something you have no intentions of following through with, you asked for the evidence and you got it, suck it up.

Moxy

Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, maintenance