Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Happy Holidays??? MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR (old school)

I hear ya amen to that Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #100

Entegra Owners Club
Have had 35' gas and now 42' diesel. No comparison. Hyundai vs Mercedes. Sand paper vs charmin ultra. Gravel road vs asphalt. If you can afford diesel, do it. The comfort, quiet, stability far out weigh the marginal increase in maintenance. Would much rather have used diesel than new gas. Warranty means nothing to me if its sitting in the shop on a beautiful weekend. Good luck with your choice.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #101

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here we go.

I believe the yearly maintenance costs of diesel will be higher than gas.

I don't care, because I don't think it's a fair comparison.

I want a coach that is like a bus. I want it to ride and handle and look like a bus. I want it to be between 36' and 40', but like a bus.

That means that it will have air suspension, air brakes, possibly semi-monocoque chassis, just like a bus. That also means it will have a diesel engine.

So, I say 'that's great!' Everything is great, except considering the fuel prices today I want a gas engine.

I look around, and find that I cannot have a 36'-40' bus-like coach with a gas engine. if I want a gas engine, I need to have a coach that's smaller than what I want. It won't have air suspension, it will probably have leaf springs. It won't have air brakes, it might have hydraulic brakes, like a small truck.

So far, I haven't been able to find a bus-like chassis coach that has a gas engine.

Considering today's fuel prices, I could be interested in switching to a comparable coach to ours with a gas engine.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:19 AM   #102

Best gas/diesel argument I read in another forum: As seen in Rv parks: "Typically family coaches are gas, and Gramma/Grampa coaches are diesel."

When I was a little guy, I always remembered to check beneath the cushions of the couch after grandpa left.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Even if diesel is $1/Gal. More than gas, that's only $1,000 per year IF 10,000 miles driven annually, and IF they both get the same MPG. Most diesels get better MPG than gas. And diesel fuel is still at least 30-50 cents/gal. Than it was a year ago.

Fuel costs are one of the least and most negligible costs of ownership. Not even a consideration for me as the ride, quality, torque, towing capability, etc. of the diesel far outweighs a tiny cost difference in fuel prices, IMO.

Cheers.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #104

Scheduled maintenance costs are a minor concern.

If your diesel has a heui problem, your diesel maintenance just got a lot worse! $$$ or injector issues...if your gasser has spark plug or head issues, gets expensive. If someone didn't caulk, seal a window or trim properly, bathroom or plumbing leak, hydraulic issues, $500 flat tire...well you get the idea.

It's the UNscheduled maintenance that hurts..that's tuff to predict. Had my rig 9 years. Spent about $16,700 in maintaining it, but that does include $7K to reroof, doesn't include the heui and injectors done under warranty. I suggest setting aside $1500-$2000 a year whether you need it or not. Someday you will. Guaranteed. Some folks prefer to do this as coach net or other extended warranty.

Whether your oil and filters cost is $150 or $350 a year is the least of your concern, as is whether you pay $3 a gallon for gas vs $3.50 for diesel. It's winter, guarantee that price structure will change in summer.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
How would a person that knows nothing about a DP check to see if a DP is properly maintained?
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
How would a person that knows nothing about a DP check to see if a DP is properly maintained?
no, this person will not know. just like you have a headache and you ask a guy walking on the street "what's wrong with my head?".

if this is related to a purchase, i would suggest you to hire an rv shop which does both coach and chassis work to do a complete ppi. if you are implying you don't know about dp and how to get up speed, well, the answer is - do some homework and come here often. you will get there within a year or two. it's not a rocket science but there is a learning curve.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #107

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
This is a great question. After taking the coach of interest for a test drive ask for fluid samples. I use these folks: Blackstone Labs

Go prepared with sample bottles in hand and instructions as to how you want the samples taken. (On website). No mater what the records say, the samples you watch them take for you will tell the real story. If they are good, and the coach is what you want, buy it but make certain that the fluid and filter maintenance work is up to date.

I avoid trusting comments based upon the "I feel" expression. Facts beat feeling every time. Going for a DP will give you a better RV experience in the long run. If you want to camp on a logging road don't get a DP. That is like putting a fine race car in a demolition derby.

Happy trails.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
This is a great question. After taking the coach of interest for a test drive ask for fluid samples. I use these folks: Blackstone Labs

Go prepared with sample bottles in hand and instructions as to how you want the samples taken. (On website). No mater what the records say, the samples you watch them take for you will tell the real story.

Happy trails.

Rick Y
Bingo! I took 3 sample kits, pump, and tubing with me. I took them (engine, tranny, and Onan) myself and shipped them FedEx. I'm waiting on the results.any day now.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #109

I've heard this debate for years regarding want items, leisure items, recreation items and luxury items. If you're getting into any of the above if fuel consumption and the cost of it is a major concern you probably shouldn't buy any one of them.
I can remember almost every one of our trips with the kids, camping, riding OHV's, boating at Havasu, or just touring in the RV. Gas expense is the last thing I remember or even recall being a concern.
If you're going to fret every time you have to fuel up you may not be suited for the lifestyle. I'm not loaded, far from it, but I recognize value and the benefit of RV ownership. If you pencil it out they make absolutely no sense to own, but damnit they sure are fun and the memories are some of the best times of our lives. You can't put a price on that.
I finally got into a 15 year old HR pusher this year after class A and C gassers. I'm very happy with the move. It took me over a year to find my Holiday Rambler.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiethco View Post
I've heard this debate for years regarding want items, leisure items, recreation items and luxury items. If you're getting into any of the above if fuel consumption and the cost of it is a major concern you probably shouldn't buy any one of them.
I can remember almost every one of our trips with the kids, camping, riding OHV's, boating at Havasu, or just touring in the RV. Gas expense is the last thing I remember or even recall being a concern.
If you're going to fret every time you have to fuel up you may not be suited for the lifestyle. I'm not loaded, far from it, but I recognize value and the benefit of RV ownership. If you pencil it out they make absolutely no sense to own, but damnit they sure are fun and the memories are some of the best times of our lives. You can't put a price on that.
I finally got into a 15 year old HR pusher this year after class A and C gassers. I'm very happy with the move. It took me over a year to find my Holiday Rambler.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiethco View Post
X2 Well spoken. Are we buying fuel or maintenance or a wonderful life style? A stick house still needs to be fueled and maintained.

So, is the DP a big drain on your $ bucket?
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Bingo! I took 3 sample kits, pump, and tubing with me. I took them (engine, tranny, and Onan) myself and shipped them FedEx. I'm waiting on the results.any day now.
good move!

I hope the coach was still warm from a test drive. The numbers won't be accurate if not. How did you clean the pump after each sample?

Tags
diesel, gas, maintenance