Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm not up on the current hardware involved in meeting the EPA 2010 requirements. I was under the impression that the current engines have the DPF system which deals with particulates and is the part of the system subject to regen which involves injection of diesel fuel into the DPF to burn off the accumulated particulates. Then the DEF system is designed to reduce the NOX in the exhaust and that requires a continuous injection of the DEF into the exhaust to combine to produce water and CO2. I thought these were two systems which operate at the same time but to accomplish two different things. Are you saying that the turbo may be stressed by the DEF system or the DPF system?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Just passin on what I have seen....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The DW and I have discussed this a lot. One thing that stays in our mind is how much time do we actually drive the MH vs how much time we are "camping". As long as we have the 4 slides, a great floor plan, a residential refrigerator and a washer/dryer then it makes no difference whether it is a diesel or gas rig. Yes I could haul more weight with a DP, but where being the diesel engine takes up so much of the space. I believe a 39' gas rig has more exterior storage space than a 39' DP.

I am concerned that a 39' gas rig is pushing the limits of the V-10. Yes the DP has more power, but I would most likely drive the same speed I do with a gasser.
Wouldn't the dp have more exterior storage with not having a drive shaft?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
What I saw was you lost all of the compartment storage behind the wheels.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'll agree that my coach could easily go 3 years without an air filter change, but I personally feel my best performance and comfort level is changing it every year.

The question I ask......particularly for those who drive in damp/rainy conditions, how do you know what dampness/water damage is occurring to that filter over the three years in use, causing glue and filter medium deterioration. I'm sure it's not huge, but I look at filters as cheap insurance. Regarding dust inhalation, I don't change my filters in dirt lots or during wind storms. Again, I doubt that dirt inhalation during filter changes is a big cause of engine dusting.

No offense, I know some are on a budget, but I don't count pennies or even dollars when it comes to maintenance of my coach. Quality filters, quality oil and regular servicing is something I've always done.

I also don't like oil sampling. I simply change the oil on schedule rather than keep sending in samples to see if I'm close to a change, past a change or need to do it again because I'm not sure or close. To me, it's an aggravation, just change it!

Remember......this my opinion, my coach and my money and I respect whatever you do with your coach.

you change your air filter cause you want to, they are 120 bucks so nobody will be made or broke over that, I was clarifying that your practice is not recommended or even remotely necessary for those who are not in the know, not criticizing your choices what so ever, its a free country, but the experts urge most to perform air filter changes when necessary, not as an annual service component with respect to the oil analysis, its my belief they are performed more as a gauge as to an engines condition, not the need to change oil, especially in our instance where mileage is minimal in most cases and oil times out before wearing out or contaminated.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
lets not forget the generator typically ends up in the front freeing up storage, and while under some conditions a gas coach may be able to run at the same speeds length and weight being equal, once you add in a toad, a trailer, a steep 5 miles grade and a headwind the diesel typically outperforms the gas power equivalent coach by a mile both heading up the hill and down the other side, , I've had both and know of what I speak.

Moxy
Old 12-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #62
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Moxy......I agreed that longer than a year is fine for others, yet you still criticize my choice. Please show me a manufacturer of an engine or air cleaner that states I SHOULDN'T ("not recommended" as you state) change my filter every year without having intimate knowledge of where and how far my coach has been driven. Please show me your crystal ball that sees into my sealed canister to know what dirt and dust has collected during MY driving conditions and mileage.....not yours.

I'm not trying to start an argument and I clarified that I change mine because it's my coach, my money, but yet you still try to impose your opinion. You can't preach blanket statements for everyone. Yes.... the guy that drives 3K a year and winterizes for 5 months is fine with 2-3 years on a filter. That's not what I'm driving, especially out west.

Lastly......In my initial post I wrote under DP air filters "once a year(s)", giving people the option to decide on how often they personally would change theirs.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #63

Still on the original air filter from 2008. They said it was fine at the last oil change. I change the oil and fuel filters every two years. It seems most here do there maintenance annually.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #64

Quote:
Moxy......I agreed that longer than a year is fine for others, yet you still criticize my choice. Please show me a manufacturer of an engine or air cleaner that states I SHOULDN'T ("not recommended" as you state) change my filter every year without having intimate knowledge of where and how far my coach has been driven. Please show me your crystal ball that sees into my sealed canister to know what dirt and dust has collected during MY driving conditions and mileage.....not yours.

I'm not trying to start an argument and I clarified that I change mine because it's my coach, my money, but yet you still try to impose your opinion. You can't preach blanket statements for everyone. Yes.... the guy that drives 3K a year and winterizes for 5 months is fine with 2-3 years on a filter. That's not what I'm driving, especially out west.

Lastly......In my initial post I wrote under DP air filters "once a year(s)", giving people the option to decide on how often they personally would change theirs.

what part of "I'm not criticizing your choices what so ever" is not clear to you?

again what part of its a free country did you not understand and how exactly does one impose an opinion on someone on the computer?

you are the one who posted you travel 10K a year, why would I need a crystal ball unless dirt and dust are that much different out west, doesn't seem to effect anyone else.

my posts were a comment on your practice which may have led one to believe that your frequent replacement of air filters was prudent and I disagree, and in fact your practice may be detrimental to the engines longevity for the reasons posted by me and others.

you can replace your filters every six months if you like, I could care less but others reading should know what is a generally accepted interval and what is not and what the possible consequences could be.

here is some reading per your request

Another big misconception is that air filters need to be changed on a regular, hours-based schedule, like oil filters. “There is no reason to change the primary filter until it has reached the maximum restriction,” Gaither says. “Resist the urge to take it out and look at it. There is far more dust introduced on the clean side when you take the filter out than during the operation of the engine.” Air filters actually work better as they get more use. “A dirty air filter is a good air filter,” says Anderson. When they are new, the openings in the filter fabric are large. As dust cakes on the surface of the filter media, these openings become smaller and the filter more readily sifts out the fine particles. - See more at: http://www.equipmentworld.com/dust-c....5MY6Cup8.dpuf

a simple search on the internet will show you that line hauls trucks require a yearly change, you have indicated 10K a year long haul trucks do that in a month

According to modern diesel technology web site on highway diesel truck air cleaners are designed to last at least a year or more,

so, unless you can show me where replacing a filter yearly outweighs the risks of dirt and contaminants entering the intake stream ill stick to my regiment of filter replacement as recommended and mentioned often on these very forums

Moxy
Old 12-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The DW and I have discussed this a lot. One thing that stays in our mind is how much time do we actually drive the MH vs how much time we are "camping". As long as we have the 4 slides, a great floor plan, a residential refrigerator and a washer/dryer then it makes no difference whether it is a diesel or gas rig. Yes I could haul more weight with a DP, but where being the diesel engine takes up so much of the space. I believe a 39' gas rig has more exterior storage space than a 39' DP.

I am concerned that a 39' gas rig is pushing the limits of the V-10. Yes the DP has more power, but I would most likely drive the same speed I do with a gasser.
Having had two of each, gas vs. DP, I've found exterior storage varies a LOT, even with the same length coach, but generally DPs have more exterior storage. Crawl under your gasser and look at all the wasted space around the driveshaft, because there's no pass-thru storage there. In DPs great variations in storage capacity are seen, affected by the chassis brand and style, whether raised-rail, or lowered-rail(or whatever the latest rail design might be), length, propane tank or not, overall height of coach(which changes floor height above ground), slide-out trays, and even the floor plan of the box above.

Yes I would be concerned that a 39' gasser will be a dog, especially with the additional weight of four slides. Many gassers are pushing the load limits of their CCC, and you may find yourselves overweight.

My bias is to DPs. Once you have a DP you'll never go back to a gasser. My 2¢.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #66
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Moxy....good luck with your coach! Happy Holidays
Old 12-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #67

Quote:
Moxy....good luck with your coach! Happy Holidays
Capitulation without acknowledgement only leaves other guessing,
Old 12-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #68

If you want this to be the last motorhome you buy, then I will take a stand and tell you to buy a diesel and forget all the analysis of costs...because I have concluded that diesels match their owners better the older their owners get. And that is whether you buy long or short or in between.

If you were to place a bet on me, as to what I'm gonna be buying within the next six months to two years, your best bet would be diesel, Newmar, Comfort Drive, used, Dutch Star. Your worst bet would be what length as my wife will probably make that decision, to some extent, and she gets to pick the toad, but her dream toad is a jeep, so the toad is a no risk turnover for me. A bet on my buying gas will pay 3 to 1 if you are lucky and can find someone who will take the bet. A closer bet than I would like it to be, because I like the newer gas rigs.

Everything I have read leads me to the conclusion that senior citizens, like me, should be driving a full-time quality diesel, and that is after a year of research, and I like the newer gas rigs very much. Comfort drive may or may not be a great idea since I have some arthritis in my shoulder and not everyone agrees it is a must have, but I'm betting it will eventually make a positive contribution to my driving experience...certainly nothing to lose since I will likely buy a diesel rig in the 3 to 5 year age and the CD equipped diesel Newmars started in 2008.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
Capitulation without acknowledgement only leaves other guessing,
Had to look that one up Is all's I was guessing about
Like I always say on here......to each their own, if it works for ya, and you can sleep good at night........and you are happy, that is all that counts
Happy Holiday's to all
Old 12-09-2014, 03:04 AM   #70
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
No capitulation.....just a level of maturity. Took a few minutes and read some of your other posts....seems like it's your M.O. to argue and criticize.

Tags
diesel, gas, maintenance