Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #1

Yellow Door - To Paint or Not?

I'm in the process of doing a little mini restoration on my newly acquired 1996 Newmar, and have managed to get most of the exterior back up to speed. Had I wanted to take the time, I would have wet sanded the gelcoat before coating to get it whiter, but I hope to do a repaint at some point, so not worth the effort.

The door (as most are) is yellow. I am planning to paint it white, as well as the other plastic like the vents, fridge panel, etc.

I'm somewhat concerned it'll look way to0 white though.

Has anyone done this, and what were the results? Any pics? I'm cool with taping off the stripes, that's pretty easy, and plan to pull the door off to paint it.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #2

I'd suggest you consider taking off a part that is the correct color you wish to paint... If its just the door and I was going to spray that door myself... I'd maybe consider having some oil based rustoleum tinted to the exact color... to get a close match before I spent a pile of money with automotive paint... than when you paint the complete coach.... sand and do the door again...

Old 07-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #3

Thanks! The plan was really to just rattle can the door. It's really just pre-activated paint, and chemically similar to automotive paint. I have some white automotive paint as well, but it's just not worth the trouble. It'll be a bright white. I may do the refer vent door and see how that looks, then decide. Either way, easy enough to just sand the whole thing when it's time to repaint it.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I had a yellow door for the refer and I cleaned it with some Simple Green or Fantastic, I don't remember which.

Anyway, the cover returned to a nice white and I didn't have to paint it.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I had a yellow door for the refer and I cleaned it with some Simple Green or Fantastic, I don't remember which.

Anyway, the cover returned to a nice white and I didn't have to paint it.
That works well for oxidized type yellowing, this is embedding in the door. I actually wet sanded part of it with 600 grit...nope, still yellow.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I had a spot that I had to match on mine that was damaged and I repaired it with fiberglass. I used Rust Olium Gloss White and after it was applied and dry I sprayed it with a clear coat. Matched perfectly.
Mel
Old 07-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
I had a spot that I had to match on mine that was damaged and I repaired it with fiberglass. I used Rust Olium Gloss White and after it was applied and dry I sprayed it with a clear coat. Matched perfectly.
Mel
Thanks Mel, I'll give that a shot, that was my plan.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:42 AM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It is amazing how many different whites there are. Check the Duplicolor line of rattle cans online and at an automotive store. You might actually be able to find the paint color codes with enough research.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #9

When I restored the Aerbus, I chose to repainted a few white items as well. I repainted the plastic exterior refrigerator access panel and frame with a standard rustoleum semi gloss white spray paint. I was concerned that it might be too much of a bright white and stand out but it came out great. It is a little whiter than the coach paint but you can't tell unless you are really studying it. I did the same with the water heater door and a small section on the engine door. I'd give it a shot on a smaller section and see what you think. My original thought was that I would rather have a panel/door that was a little brighter than the ugly yellow. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #10

Like YC1 there are tons of white colors.

Get a good smart phone or camera and take a photo of the target color then review photo on display to confirm tint still same.

Take that to the store and pick a few different cans that are close and give them a try.

We did that and got real close to our target and could have matched but we're not that picky at the time.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #11

An automotive paint store can match the color and put it in a spray can for you.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I did all the things that you are planning to do. I used the spray cans that are for plastic. They have several shades of white. Turned out great.

I also removed and did all the AC vents and trim around the fans. I used Poly Glow on the outside. My coach looks brand new inside and out, other than the carpet, and I'll probably replace that someday. But for now we put down carpets that we bought at Ollie's, when we are parked. They have the same pattern in various sizes that fit everywhere you need them.

Tags
door, paint