Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #15

I recently put Goodyear G 661 s on my Monaco ,with balance beads . I drove school buses for fifteen years in a rural district mud, dirt roads and snow , these were my favorite tires much smoother than Michelins . with the balance beads they run very smooth . Put 10 ounces of balance beads in all six tires , youll think you are driving a new coach !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #16

Thanks to everyone for your insight. We decided on Goodyear. It is good to hear the feedback on the Yokahoma and Hankook. I am sure we will look that way when we need replacements.

Kbar.......appreciate the advice on the balance beads. Learn something new everyday.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanpinieck View Post
Thanks to everyone for your insight. We decided on Goodyear. It is good to hear the feedback on the Yokahoma and Hankook. I am sure we will look that way when we need replacements.

Kbar.......appreciate the advice on the balance beads. Learn something new everyday.
Which Goodyear's did you go with? Several to choose from.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Motorhome tires age-out before they wear-out. Check the date of mfg (stamped on each tire) and insist on the most recent mfg'd date of tires. Dealer could deliver new tires from old inventory that are already aged.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #19

Goodyear G661 HSA .they steer very well ,they almost a neutral feel . You actually notice the balance beads in the rear wheels remove any wheel weights . The balance beads keep the wheel in balance all the time ..the balance beads also reduce the wear on the suspension components ,by reducing vibration . Check the internet large trucking companies are using them ,eve. In the trailers . They noticed reduced wear on wheel bearing ,shocks and tie rods. .they also claim small gains in fuel mileage.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Both excellent tire manufacturers with a worldwide reputation for quality products. I would choose whichever one gave me the best out-the-door price.

Double Coin is a step down, in my opinion. A "third tier" supplier. Maybe ok, maybe not.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #21

I recently asked A friend of mine, who has been in the tire business for years, what tires he would recommend for my Monaco 36Ft Windsor Motorhome, I listed several different tires that his company sold including Goodyear, Dunlop, General and Hankook, He instantly replied go with the Hankook's!
This surprised me because the Hankook AH12 (275/70/R22.5) was the lowest priced tire in the list ($300 ea Mounted and balanced) when I asked why? he said Hankook is the fastest growing tire company on earth, he said they have great technology, great price, great tires. He said we sell a ton of them with next to no complaints. I plan to give them a try (by the way they are currently building a truck tire plant in the States)
Morguns1cam
Old 10-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguns1cam View Post
I recently asked A friend of mine, who has been in the tire business for years, what tires he would recommend for my Monaco 36Ft Windsor Motorhome, I listed several different tires that his company sold including Goodyear, Dunlop, General and Hankook, He instantly replied go with the Hankook's!
That's exactly what my local tire guy told me last spring. I have Hankooks on my steer wheels and love them. They are quieter and ride better than the Michelins ever did.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Recently returned from a 5,000 mile trip around the U.S. and I continue to be very pleased with my Hankook AH12's. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #24

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Yokohama are all (or soon will be) all American made. A new plant is coming on line in Westpoint MS with 2500 employees. Buy American.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:00 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we just returned from a 600 or so mile trip with the new AH-12 Hankooks out back, i swapped the fronts in january of this year

WOW, ride was smoother, i am still playing with air pressure fronts have 110 and the rear are at 105
on flat slick concrete i get a great contact patch across the tread, with just a hint of the very outside edges not at smushed as the rest of the tread
so i am going to drop to 105 up front and 100 out back, and see if the tread is flat across the tread to aid in better wear.

these tires are rated at 130 psi for full weight,
my only complaint is hankook has no inflation vs weight information on their website.

and this is the first time i used equal balance beads in the 6 tires...all i can say is WHY on EARTH didnt i do this years ago
really like the ride
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #26

Tires

I own a 2004 Monaco knight . I installed good year G661 tires with balance beads in the tires. The steering is totally neutral there is no kind of vibration from these tires ., you even notice the difference in the back wheels .I drove a school bus for 15 years ,drove many different brands of tires . My route was in the country on a variety of roads ,paved muddy and snowy dirt roads . These are the smoothest tires I ever drove . No matter what brand you buy install the balance beads ,they cost about $10.00 a tire . They keep the tires in constant balance no matter what driving conditions. I was amazed in the difference in the ride of my coach.I searched the internet for the balance beads and found many large trucking cos are using them , even on their trailers . They have noted better tire wear and also less wear on steering components, wheel bearings. ,and have noticed a small increase in fuel mileage . Check it out ! The good years are made for high mileage delivery trucks . The ride is so smooth I couldn't believe it .
Old 10-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
we just returned from a 600 or so mile trip with the new AH-12 Hankooks out back, i swapped the fronts in january of this year

WOW, ride was smoother, i am still playing with air pressure fronts have 110 and the rear are at 105
on flat slick concrete i get a great contact patch across the tread, with just a hint of the very outside edges not at smushed as the rest of the tread
so i am going to drop to 105 up front and 100 out back, and see if the tread is flat across the tread to aid in better wear.

these tires are rated at 130 psi for full weight,
my only complaint is hankook has no inflation vs weight information on their website.

and this is the first time i used equal balance beads in the 6 tires...all i can say is WHY on EARTH didnt i do this years ago
really like the ride

Here is the Hankook catalog that contains their inflation tables.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hankook Truck and Bus Tire Catalog.pdf (1.11 MB, 95 views)
Old 10-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Here is the Hankook catalog that contains their inflation tables.
thank you so much,
looks like i am in the ball park for pressure,

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires