Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #127
Senior Member
 
plasma800's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,198
Blog Entries: 1
I'm finding so many great deals... from private sellers Grrrrr
__________________

__________________
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #128
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'm finding so many great deals... from private sellers Grrrrr
Ya...unless someone has the cash to buy it first and time to sell the current one, it can be a real chore indeed. And if you are a full timer...
__________________

__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #129
Senior Member
 
plasma800's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,198
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Ya...unless someone has the cash to buy it first and time to sell the current one, it can be a real chore indeed. And if you are a full timer...
Right! You're almost stuck in the trade game...
__________________
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #130
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Right! You're almost stuck in the trade game...
That was what we found for us. Places like MHSRV and PPL offer great prices on new and high end used units but to do that they low ball trade ins. We were fortunate enough to trade our first coach back to the same dealer we bought it from for our newest coach. I think they gave us a great deal given all.

I tried to sell my used coach on all the sites including Craigslist. Almost all the calls were from brokers. However, I did get a lot of emails off of Craigslist insinuating they could offer me a great time and showed ample amounts of assets they had to prove it. Good thing Sandee has a great sense of humor and a high trust factor.

The few real lookers (Not referring to any of the pictures I received.) were not interested in my price. In the long run I found that for our situation the trade-in sales tax savings was significant enough to offset much of the lower price I would have to set for a direct sale and follow up purchase.

BTW...if you do go the route of trying to sell on your own, make sure you use a throw away email address! I bet you are smart about that but for anyone else, you won't believe the junk and smut you will get from Craigslist trolls. Also, I used a google phone number for contact too. I didn't include that in any adds but used the throw away Email only for first contact. Only then did I give out my phone number if there was a chance it was a legit inquiry. If that got out of control, I could kill the google number without any serious impact.

Aint it fun?
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #131
Community Moderator
 
bdickson's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wherever the rig is parked
Posts: 7,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
That was what we found for us. Places like MHSRV and PPL offer great prices on new and high end used units but to do that they low ball trade ins.
That was our experience with MHSRV, however even with their poor trade in valuation, the bottom line was still a much better deal than we were offered on the same coach at Camping World. CW gave us a great trade in price but the new coach price was close to sticker. I think on any deal like this it's important not to dwell on the trade in price but to look at the bottom line on the entire deal.
__________________
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #132
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
That was our experience with MHSRV, however even with their poor trade in valuation, the bottom line was still a much better deal than we were offered on the same coach at Camping World. CW gave us a great trade in price but the new coach price was close to sticker. I think on any deal like this it's important not to dwell on the trade in price but to look at the bottom line on the entire deal.
You said CW? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Never the less, you have a good point that any deal must be looked at in its totality. In the end it is a numbers game for both the dealer and the buyer. With MHSRV and PPL you can see a lot of units that might be hard to find from all the ads out there on all the sites. It is arguable that the low ball trade in combined with a very fair new/used unit price is a wash.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #133
Senior Member
 
plasma800's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,198
Blog Entries: 1
AGREED

ppl is only about 10 minutes from my house.
MHSRV is about 2.5 hours from me.

I've also found some great deals on 43 foot coaches that are perfect in every respect.. except the length. Nervous to go over 40
__________________
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #134
Community Moderator
 
bdickson's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wherever the rig is parked
Posts: 7,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
You said CW? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Don, to be quite honest we were just window shopping at CW. We were interested in a particular coach and a CW less than 100 miles from us had one in stock. We let them give us an offer, then went to MHSRV, got their offer and took the numbers back to CW. They would not budge and really didn't seem interested in making a sale. I had bought from MHSRV in the past so I was very comfortable doing business with them. An added bonus for us as full timers was that they let us park the old and new coaches adjacent to each other in their delivery lot for 2 days to transfer all our stuff.
__________________
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #135
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
...[CW] would not budge and really didn't seem interested in making a sale. ...
Similar experience. The other experience with CW was that we test drove a 2004, 43' MADP. After we got back I was looking at the tires and found the WRONG tires on the rig. They were 2 load ranges below specs. In fact, with 1/2 tank of fuel, nothing else and 2 people up front I estimate we where only 250# below the load rating of the tires up front.

Now you might see my absolute distrust of CW in sales and maintenance. BTW...I know my front axle weight estimate was reasonably fair because before I drove 200 miles to look at it I paid to have it weighed.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #136
Senior Member
 
plasma800's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,198
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Don, to be quite honest we were just window shopping at CW. We were interested in a particular coach and a CW less than 100 miles from us had one in stock. We let them give us an offer, then went to MHSRV, got their offer and took the numbers back to CW. They would not budge and really didn't seem interested in making a sale. I had bought from MHSRV in the past so I was very comfortable doing business with them. An added bonus for us as full timers was that they let us park the old and new coaches adjacent to each other in their delivery lot for 2 days to transfer all our stuff.
What's your take on longer coaches in state parks? We really enjoy the off the beaten path state parks and COE parks over rv resorts. For this reason, I would almost rather go shorter than longer. I think you might have more experience with this than me, and I would be interested in your opinion and advice.
__________________
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #137
Community Moderator
 
bdickson's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wherever the rig is parked
Posts: 7,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
What's your take on longer coaches in state parks? We really enjoy the off the beaten path state parks and COE parks over rv resorts. For this reason, I would almost rather go shorter than longer. I think you might have more experience with this than me, and I would be interested in your opinion and advice.
Our current coach is 38 feet and we've never had a problem at State parks. I think for some parks the "cutoff" length is down around 30 feet. So, 38, 40, 42.... I don't think it makes a lot of difference. One of our favorite locations (Falls Lake State Park near Raleigh NC) has 90 foot back in sites!
__________________
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #138
Senior Member
 
plasma800's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,198
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Our current coach is 38 feet and we've never had a problem at State parks. I think for some parks the "cutoff" length is down around 30 feet. So, 38, 40, 42.... I don't think it makes a lot of difference. One of our favorite locations (Falls Lake State Park near Raleigh NC) has 90 foot back in sites!
I see your point.

I've been a few places where that 40' felt like a squeeze.

The national park in Austin, there is no way I could have fit anything larger.
And Stone mountain in Atlanta felt sooo small driving on those tiny roads, but we did it
__________________
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #139
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Our current coach is 38 feet and we've never had a problem at State parks. I think for some parks the "cutoff" length is down around 30 feet. So, 38, 40, 42.... I don't think it makes a lot of difference. One of our favorite locations (Falls Lake State Park near Raleigh NC) has 90 foot back in sites!
So far we have found similar situations of access. That being said going longer than 40' does have some other issues to consider.

One is that leveling them can get tougher. Consider that for the most part the same leveling jacks used on a 40' are also used on a 43' model. They will have the same travel and thus be more likely to have to extend further on low points. This could lead to more chances of wheels off of the ground. I don't worry about front wheels off but never do I allow drive wheels to be off the ground.

This is purely a guess but perhaps you might find the longer units have more electrical stuff and thus need better batteries and/or solar power to take full advantage of off the wall places. Then again, the longer units have more roof for more solar and still have room for a SAT TV dish without it causing shadowing.

That being said, the guy that runs HOWTORVGEEKS.COM does some serious boon docking in a 43' MADP. Love that site!
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #140
Senior Member
 
plasma800's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,198
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
So far we have found similar situations of access. That being said going longer than 40' does have some other issues to consider.

One is that leveling them can get tougher. Consider that for the most part the same leveling jacks used on a 40' are also used on a 43' model. They will have the same travel and thus be more likely to have to extend further on low points. This could lead to more chances of wheels off of the ground. I don't worry about front wheels off but never do I allow drive wheels to be off the ground.

This is purely a guess but perhaps you might find the longer units have more electrical stuff and thus need better batteries and/or solar power to take full advantage of off the wall places. Then again, the longer units have more roof for more solar and still have room for a SAT TV dish without it causing shadowing.

That being said, the guy that runs HOWTORVGEEKS.COM does some serious boon docking in a 43' MADP. Love that site!
I know man, those guys are too cool eh? Ever seen him play piano?

See once I find the platform I love, i have no issues with all of the work to res fridge, solar, all that stuff. Of course, I always remember that what I have ain't shabby! It's just small stuff that I would change... so silly. But this is the ball game yes?

There is one floorplan of tiffin allegro bus that i truly like a lot, and it's in my reach, and 43'
__________________

__________________
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full Wall Slide issues? Cbones Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 83 12-18-2016 10:29 AM
Hydraulic slide and the big clunk janieD Excel Owner's Forum 9 07-05-2014 09:18 PM
Closed Lippert Schwintek closet slide leak on Outdoors RV Wind River tredfield Outdoors RV Owner's Forum 9 07-05-2014 07:03 AM
Bedroom Dresser Slide jarwiebe Newmar Owner's Forum 1 07-14-2013 04:54 PM
small patch wall rot and floor rot in dining table slide out mjonesjules 5th Wheel Discussion 5 06-06-2013 11:54 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.