Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #127

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm finding so many great deals... from private sellers Grrrrr

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #128

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'm finding so many great deals... from private sellers Grrrrr
Ya...unless someone has the cash to buy it first and time to sell the current one, it can be a real chore indeed. And if you are a full timer...

Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #129

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Ya...unless someone has the cash to buy it first and time to sell the current one, it can be a real chore indeed. And if you are a full timer...
Right! You're almost stuck in the trade game...
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #130

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Right! You're almost stuck in the trade game...
That was what we found for us. Places like MHSRV and PPL offer great prices on new and high end used units but to do that they low ball trade ins. We were fortunate enough to trade our first coach back to the same dealer we bought it from for our newest coach. I think they gave us a great deal given all.

I tried to sell my used coach on all the sites including Craigslist. Almost all the calls were from brokers. However, I did get a lot of emails off of Craigslist insinuating they could offer me a great time and showed ample amounts of assets they had to prove it. Good thing Sandee has a great sense of humor and a high trust factor.

The few real lookers (Not referring to any of the pictures I received.) were not interested in my price. In the long run I found that for our situation the trade-in sales tax savings was significant enough to offset much of the lower price I would have to set for a direct sale and follow up purchase.

BTW...if you do go the route of trying to sell on your own, make sure you use a throw away email address! I bet you are smart about that but for anyone else, you won't believe the junk and smut you will get from Craigslist trolls. Also, I used a google phone number for contact too. I didn't include that in any adds but used the throw away Email only for first contact. Only then did I give out my phone number if there was a chance it was a legit inquiry. If that got out of control, I could kill the google number without any serious impact.

Aint it fun?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #131
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
That was what we found for us. Places like MHSRV and PPL offer great prices on new and high end used units but to do that they low ball trade ins.
That was our experience with MHSRV, however even with their poor trade in valuation, the bottom line was still a much better deal than we were offered on the same coach at Camping World. CW gave us a great trade in price but the new coach price was close to sticker. I think on any deal like this it's important not to dwell on the trade in price but to look at the bottom line on the entire deal.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #132

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
That was our experience with MHSRV, however even with their poor trade in valuation, the bottom line was still a much better deal than we were offered on the same coach at Camping World. CW gave us a great trade in price but the new coach price was close to sticker. I think on any deal like this it's important not to dwell on the trade in price but to look at the bottom line on the entire deal.
You said CW? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Never the less, you have a good point that any deal must be looked at in its totality. In the end it is a numbers game for both the dealer and the buyer. With MHSRV and PPL you can see a lot of units that might be hard to find from all the ads out there on all the sites. It is arguable that the low ball trade in combined with a very fair new/used unit price is a wash.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #133

Fleetwood Owners Club
AGREED

ppl is only about 10 minutes from my house.
MHSRV is about 2.5 hours from me.

I've also found some great deals on 43 foot coaches that are perfect in every respect.. except the length. Nervous to go over 40
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 07-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #134
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
You said CW? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Don, to be quite honest we were just window shopping at CW. We were interested in a particular coach and a CW less than 100 miles from us had one in stock. We let them give us an offer, then went to MHSRV, got their offer and took the numbers back to CW. They would not budge and really didn't seem interested in making a sale. I had bought from MHSRV in the past so I was very comfortable doing business with them. An added bonus for us as full timers was that they let us park the old and new coaches adjacent to each other in their delivery lot for 2 days to transfer all our stuff.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #135

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
...[CW] would not budge and really didn't seem interested in making a sale. ...
Similar experience. The other experience with CW was that we test drove a 2004, 43' MADP. After we got back I was looking at the tires and found the WRONG tires on the rig. They were 2 load ranges below specs. In fact, with 1/2 tank of fuel, nothing else and 2 people up front I estimate we where only 250# below the load rating of the tires up front.

Now you might see my absolute distrust of CW in sales and maintenance. BTW...I know my front axle weight estimate was reasonably fair because before I drove 200 miles to look at it I paid to have it weighed.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Don, to be quite honest we were just window shopping at CW. We were interested in a particular coach and a CW less than 100 miles from us had one in stock. We let them give us an offer, then went to MHSRV, got their offer and took the numbers back to CW. They would not budge and really didn't seem interested in making a sale. I had bought from MHSRV in the past so I was very comfortable doing business with them. An added bonus for us as full timers was that they let us park the old and new coaches adjacent to each other in their delivery lot for 2 days to transfer all our stuff.
What's your take on longer coaches in state parks? We really enjoy the off the beaten path state parks and COE parks over rv resorts. For this reason, I would almost rather go shorter than longer. I think you might have more experience with this than me, and I would be interested in your opinion and advice.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 07-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #137
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
What's your take on longer coaches in state parks? We really enjoy the off the beaten path state parks and COE parks over rv resorts. For this reason, I would almost rather go shorter than longer. I think you might have more experience with this than me, and I would be interested in your opinion and advice.
Our current coach is 38 feet and we've never had a problem at State parks. I think for some parks the "cutoff" length is down around 30 feet. So, 38, 40, 42.... I don't think it makes a lot of difference. One of our favorite locations (Falls Lake State Park near Raleigh NC) has 90 foot back in sites!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #138

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Our current coach is 38 feet and we've never had a problem at State parks. I think for some parks the "cutoff" length is down around 30 feet. So, 38, 40, 42.... I don't think it makes a lot of difference. One of our favorite locations (Falls Lake State Park near Raleigh NC) has 90 foot back in sites!
I see your point.

I've been a few places where that 40' felt like a squeeze.

The national park in Austin, there is no way I could have fit anything larger.
And Stone mountain in Atlanta felt sooo small driving on those tiny roads, but we did it
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 07-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #139

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
So far we have found similar situations of access. That being said going longer than 40' does have some other issues to consider.

One is that leveling them can get tougher. Consider that for the most part the same leveling jacks used on a 40' are also used on a 43' model. They will have the same travel and thus be more likely to have to extend further on low points. This could lead to more chances of wheels off of the ground. I don't worry about front wheels off but never do I allow drive wheels to be off the ground.

This is purely a guess but perhaps you might find the longer units have more electrical stuff and thus need better batteries and/or solar power to take full advantage of off the wall places. Then again, the longer units have more roof for more solar and still have room for a SAT TV dish without it causing shadowing.

That being said, the guy that runs HOWTORVGEEKS.COM does some serious boon docking in a 43' MADP. Love that site!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #140

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
So far we have found similar situations of access. That being said going longer than 40' does have some other issues to consider.

One is that leveling them can get tougher. Consider that for the most part the same leveling jacks used on a 40' are also used on a 43' model. They will have the same travel and thus be more likely to have to extend further on low points. This could lead to more chances of wheels off of the ground. I don't worry about front wheels off but never do I allow drive wheels to be off the ground.

This is purely a guess but perhaps you might find the longer units have more electrical stuff and thus need better batteries and/or solar power to take full advantage of off the wall places. Then again, the longer units have more roof for more solar and still have room for a SAT TV dish without it causing shadowing.

That being said, the guy that runs HOWTORVGEEKS.COM does some serious boon docking in a 43' MADP. Love that site!
I know man, those guys are too cool eh? Ever seen him play piano?

See once I find the platform I love, i have no issues with all of the work to res fridge, solar, all that stuff. Of course, I always remember that what I have ain't shabby! It's just small stuff that I would change... so silly. But this is the ball game yes?

There is one floorplan of tiffin allegro bus that i truly like a lot, and it's in my reach, and 43'

'14 Ram 3500 Aisin

Tags
slide