Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Another issue I had with the Ventana is the overhead cabinets on the passenger side. For some reason, Newmar has boxed off about half of it and really reduced the storage space. Also, prior to 2013 (I think) the 43' Ventana only came with the ISC 380/1050 (DEF) engine or the ISC 360/1050 (non-DEF) engine. Since then, they have moved up to the ISL 400/1250 engine. Big difference.

The 4335 Ventana was our #1 choice and we tried to deal with the dealer for over a year. Unfortunately, we just could not come to an agreement. The very last try, we were at an FMCA rally in Albany Oregon when walking away from the Newmar section, we came to the Tiffin section and our future coach was sitting right there. It had everything the Ventana did (except for the comfort drive..)....plus a lot more for about 20K less than our best deal with the Newmar dealer.

If you get a chance, take a look at the 42' Phaeton.

Ron
NO DOUBT! My wife HATES the cabinets in the Newmar, and I can't say I blame her.

The tiffins HAVE MEGA storage, which we love, but we don't love that little narrow space getting into the bedroom through the middle. That's one of the things we hate about our current coach, is that little jaunt around the end of the bed.

Otherwise, I like just about everything in the tiffin, but the last one i was in.. the drivers cupholder was like... behind my elbow.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I love you guys that buy new and work out all the bugs for a few years and then guys like me can take them off your hands for half price!

To answer your question, I would spend less then 50,000 and keep the rest for my Wife and I to enjoy the high life with out having to work.....
Heard, that's a mental battle for sure.

'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
NO DOUBT! My wife HATES the cabinets in the Newmar, and I can't say I blame her.

The tiffins HAVE MEGA storage, which we love, but we don't love that little narrow space getting into the bedroom through the middle. That's one of the things we hate about our current coach, is that little jaunt around the end of the bed.

Otherwise, I like just about everything in the tiffin, but the last one i was in.. the drivers cupholder was like... behind my elbow.

Jay, dont let a cupholder mess with you!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I love you guys that buy new and work out all the bugs for a few years and then guys like me can take them off your hands for half price!
Yeah, I hear ya. However, we bought out last coach new, drove/used it for 7 years and traded it in for about half of what we paid for it. Unfortunately, at the time of trade in, it had a major roof leak that defied repair, carpet destroyed from leak and flooring that needed replacement. It also needed a new fuel pump, tires, batteries, paint job.

All above info was provided to the dealer who did not seem to care one way or another.

The next person who purchased that coach (who I've been in contact with several times) rues the day he ever saw it...much less purchased it.

Now buying used is a good deal if and only if you personally are very experienced with motor homes and know how to inspect them to insure you don't get the weenie I got rid of. But not all of use are so inclined or talented.

Buying new (at a 30% discount) will provide you with a years warranty on the coach and typically 3 years on almost everything else....so you have plenty of time to fix all the problems that may crop up. That in itself is worth the extra bucks required when purchasing new.

To me, buying used is like staying in a motel...you have no idea who has been there before, what they have done there, who cleaned it, who worked on it....etc.

So, with all due respect, I'll continue to buy new and trade it off when it becomes too expensive to maintain and/or repair and let the unaware deal with it when they buy it for half the original price.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Buying new (at a 30% discount) will provide you with a years warranty on the coach and typically 3 years on almost everything else....so you have plenty of time to fix all the problems that may crop up. That in itself is worth the extra bucks required when purchasing new.

To me, buying used is like staying in a motel...you have no idea who has been there before, what they have done there, who cleaned it, who worked on it....etc.

So, with all due respect, I'll continue to buy new and trade it off when it becomes too expensive to maintain and/or repair and let the unaware deal with it when they buy it for half the original price.

Ron
Can I get an "amen."

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I love American coach, it's in my list for sure. Hard part us they are scarce
The AC full wall slide (like the 42F) is one of the nicest layouts (IMO). If you're happy with your Revolution, I would think the AC would be an easy choice! Just be patient!
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #35

Quote:
New's not critical to me, but I have to admit I'd like be the first one to take off the tags and poop in it.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
Basically looking at the same price point on the 42WX. Yes, American Revolution is what we want, but this is 30 to 40K less yet you still get IFS, Aqua Hot, Tag, 450 horse, Jake and a great floor plan with well integrated couch and tv

We have the non-tag version of this coach, the Tuscany 40EX and we LOVE it, has (almost) everything you asked for For like 80K less.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Yeah, I hear ya. However, we bought out last coach new, drove/used it for 7 years and traded it in for about half of what we paid for it. Unfortunately, at the time of trade in, it had a major roof leak that defied repair, carpet destroyed from leak and flooring that needed replacement. It also needed a new fuel pump, tires, batteries, paint job.

All above info was provided to the dealer who did not seem to care one way or another.

The next person who purchased that coach (who I've been in contact with several times) rues the day he ever saw it...much less purchased it.

Now buying used is a good deal if and only if you personally are very experienced with motor homes and know how to inspect them to insure you don't get the weenie I got rid of. But not all of use are so inclined or talented.

Ron
Been there done that....

Thanks for the supporting words
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 06-28-2014, 02:31 AM   #38

We went with the Thor Tuscany 45LT. I wanted the Entagra Anthem but it was $70,000 more. The 45LT had almost all of the features of the Anthem that we wanted. We love the coach after having been in it full time for 6 months. In my opinion the best bang for the buck.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDMcK View Post
We went with the Thor Tuscany 45LT. I wanted the Entagra Anthem but it was $70,000 more. The 45LT had almost all of the features of the Anthem that we wanted. We love the coach after having been in it full time for 6 months. In my opinion the best bang for the buck.
How has the thor been? It hasn't even been on my radar simply because of all of the problems I hear people having... i guess I sort of shut it out, but maybe that was premature.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 06-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #40

with that pocket, i would go with the top-st line in the market like newell and the longest 45ft. it's a status; i am sure it will grab a lot of turning heads. i would not mind a 2 or 3 years old with a few grand miles on it, as only as it keeps in like-new condition. go with the best!!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #41

Like all coaches it has had some minor problems.

Quote:
How has the thor been? It hasn't even been on my radar simply because of all of the problems I hear people having... i guess I sort of shut it out, but maybe that was premature.
We had a straight up learning curve because we never have owned a DP before. But like any coach it has had some minor problems. We are actually at the warranty service in Elkhart now. Since we bought the unit in December we have been living in it full time. We decided to get some things fixed mainly because Elkhart was in our path of travel. Like most folks I was apprehensive about the work that would be done but as it turned out I shouldn't have been. The folks here are friendly and explain how they went about fixing the problems. We had things like the front steps would retract and open with the front door opening or closing even when that feature was turned off. Along with the items we had they do an inspection called the PDI. The assigned technician found a few problems we were unaware of and fixed those as well.

We are still here because the Whirlpool warranty folks dropped the ball and we are waiting for the authorized repair personnel come and fix the ice maker. Thor has to let them do the work so as not to void the warranty. They were suppose to show up yesterday but made some excuses as to why they were on the way but went back to the shop instead. Not Thors fault.

The biggest problem we have had is the Engine Brake not working. We were in the mountains of NC. We made it to a rest stop and I called Freightliner, on a weekend. The tech said it sounded like a switch problem and sure enough it was. I was able to push the backside of the terminal connector into the switch on the console and it fixed the problem. Again not Thor's problem. I think the biggest issue that Thor had was the induction cooktop gave us an error code and shut down. The code said the cooktop had no ventilation. Both burners were at the higher end of the settings. After bit the cooktop functioned normally. The tech here did some research and found that the bottom of the cooktop was suppose to be open as to ventilate heat from the bottom of the unit. Thor has a design flaw in that the bottom of the unit was in a closed compartment. The tech did a very nice job and routed out the paneling so I do not expect to have that problem again.

A note here. When we had the engine brake problem I started down shifting to help the brakes out. But I found that letting the cruse control stay on it did a much better job than I could at downshifting.

With the 60 degree wheel cut and the Cummings 450 this rig is a joy to drive.

I would buy the Thor Tuscany again no problem. It, for me, is the biggest bang for the buck.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
Basically looking at the same price point on the 42WX. Yes, American Revolution is what we want, but this is 30 to 40K less yet you still get IFS, Aqua Hot, Tag, 450 horse, Jake and a great floor plan with well integrated couch and tv

We have the Tuscany 40 ft XE with the same layout, no tag. We bought it new, it was a left-over 2013, we got about a 38% discount. We found a lot of little things wrong when we went to take delivery, it took 3 weeks to get everything we wanted fixed and added, done. The delivery team is critical to your enjoyment of your new purchase. We bought from Buddy Gregg in TN, they were absolutely fantastic. They took care of everything including the use of their own RV park while we were waiting. They had a car for our use too.

Since delivery, the Thor product and service has proven to us they care about their clients. Thor has a 24/7 help line which we've used several times, they were very helpful. The things that went wrong, with one exception, were small and were handled well.

If you are spending time on this forum, you've seen a lot of complaints about Thor's Palazzo product. I don't see many of the same problems with the Tuscany line. Tuscany came from Daemon so maybe they still maintain their separate manufacturing facility, I really don't know.

Thor has done a great job with the Tuscany brand and has delivered a quality product for us. I also feel as if they will be there for us through and past our warranty period. Other Tuscany owners I've encountered say the same thing. Why spend so much more for exactly the same thing from another company?

We believe we saved about $50K on our coach compared to any other brand feature by feature. Very few coaches come with king beds, L shaped LR, extra 1/2 BR, and full wall slides. Those requirements narrowed down our choices substantially. When we saw the Tuscany 40EX, we realized we found what we wanted for a lot less than the other brands we looked at.

You may have noticed complaints about the Entegra line, a very popular coach in this quarter million dollar class. It doesn't mean they are bad coaches, they are wonderful coaches and I am sure I would be happy with one. So price is not the determining factor with Year 1 problems.

BUT there are complaints about ALL manufacturers. It's the nature of complex systems assembled with complex products sourced from companies that themselves are not delivering a zero-defect product.

I feel the same way about buying used, I would prefer not to if I can afford it. All 3 of my motorhomes were purchased new. All three had problems in year one, which we expected. None of them ever stopped us from enjoying our camping experience.

One other point, love em or hate em, Camping World stores are located all over the country. They are the single largest Thor dealer in the world. No matter where you travel, you can get service. Some complain about CW's service but they serve hundreds of thousands of clients yearly. Naturally, a few will be dissatisfied but the vast majority are happy and come back to buy their next coach from CW.

I don't know of another coach brand with a national service network with as many locations as CW. I hope someone else chimes in and tells me I am wrong, I would love to hear different.

So for me the choice was the Thor Tuscany. We are very satisfied with our purchase and if we ever would trade in, it would be for a tag axle Tuscany.

Tags
slide