Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #99

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jay,

I think you will find the 39-40' range good handling. Obviously, the Newmar folks will say comfort drive will make it that much better. My working theory (since I don't have CD and haven't driven one) is that CD is most helpful in that range without a tag. Once you add length and/or a tag I think CD is incrementally better. But...like I said, that is a working theory. Perhaps you should check that out as you search about for a replacement.

Newmar went through a lot of model changes starting in 2009 and offered a lot of non-tag 40' and shorter Dutchstar floor plans with CD. 2010 was that BAAAAAD year for the RV industry so anything that looks like a 2010 is probably a 2009 design. 2011 was another shake up with Newmar choosing to add a tag to 40' models and only a single 37' floor plan.

I have to wonder if a 40' with tag gives enough space in the basement for storage. That would be a problem for us.

Starting with 2012...well...I haven't looked too hard at those.

As to the AC...our 15,000 BTU pair do a pretty good job. If we had a 3rd unit I am sure there are a few days we would have used it but so far we haven't really had a problem. But...we have been fortunate in avoiding heat extremes.

Aint all this research fun!?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova 42qd View Post
We had the helium fridge in the travel trailer that we owned before moving up to the Tour MH, which has the residential fridge. Would never go back. The residential fridge has it hands down for convenience. Lots of room, ice maker, etc. Also we had to keep the propane on while traveling for the helium fridge to work. To me this poses a far greater hazard than any that could occur from the residential fridge. You can also use a lot of propane. Finally note that in some states its illegal to travel with the propane tank on. At a minimum you cannot go through a tunnel anywhere like this.
nova 42qd
I don't know about a "helium fridge", but I can tell you that a propane fired Norcold model 682 absorption fridge uses less than 20 lbs of propane running 24/7 for 3-4 months.

BTW, speaking of dangerous, some people actually drive cars and/or RVs around with nearly a full tank of gasoline!

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
That king bed would be an amazing change! Adding an A/C would help for sure during the summer. And somehow squeeking out a TV in the living area opposite the couch would rock.

Here's a thought..... The things that would make me want to get a different coach, are things that CANNOT be reasonably added or changed on a present coach...things like IFS, Tag axle, aquahot, larger engine, etc....

You mentioned above things which are EASY to add or change on your present coach....easy being a relative term I say this because even a total gut and makeover of a coach interior can be done for tens of thousands....there are places that specialize in it. They can make new cabinets, furniture, you name it ! You can have the king bed in your present coach, and I'm throwing out wild ass guesses here.... But probably less than $5K. All depends upon your taste and choice of materials.

I say keep your coach and remodel it. Probably save you money over trading it.
and you already have this one figured out, and know its history
Old 07-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #102

Quote:
That king bed would be an amazing change! Adding an A/C would help for sure during the summer. And somehow squeeking out a TV in the living area opposite the couch would rock.

Here are a couple of motor home remodel places....probably others can post their actual experiences with a coach remodel ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405111774.242029.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	735.5 KB
ID:	67549

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405111800.189752.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	67550
Old 07-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #103

We went with a 45' tag with a 450 Cummins. It has the 60 degree wheel cut so maneuvering is not nearly the issue I thought it would be. This our first coach and we wanted the features it had. The salesman had me do some maneuvers in the dealer's lot and I was sold.

My advice is don't skimp on features or room/space because of rig length. For us it has been a none issue.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #104

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Here's a thought..... The things that would make me want to get a different coach, are things that CANNOT be reasonably added or changed on a present coach...things like IFS, Tag axle, aquahot, larger engine, etc....

You mentioned above things which are EASY to add or change on your present coach....easy being a relative term I say this because even a total gut and makeover of a coach interior can be done for tens of thousands....there are places that specialize in it. They can make new cabinets, furniture, you name it ! You can have the king bed in your present coach, and I'm throwing out wild ass guesses here.... But probably less than $5K. All depends upon your taste and choice of materials.

I say keep your coach and remodel it. Probably save you money over trading it.
and you already have this one figured out, and know its history
I've considered it. Big issue is if you put a king in our bedroom, you wouldn't be able to enter the room As it is, there is only about 4 inches of space to squeeze around the wall and the end of the bed... well maybe 6..

Plus, we kind of dislike the wood color now after months in it.

Who knows what's going to happen.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #105

Quote:
I've considered it. Big issue is if you put a king in our bedroom, you wouldn't be able to enter the room As it is, there is only about 4 inches of space to squeeze around the wall and the end of the bed... well maybe 6..

Plus, we kind of dislike the wood color now after months in it.

Who knows what's going to happen.

Talk to one of the remodelers about it. The basic "box" on your RV is the same size as others that have king beds.....so it can fit and work well. The remodelers can build custom furniture and even move "walls" to give you the floor plan you want. You were only thinking they would drop in a larger mattress.......much more goes on there than that. And it STILL can be cheaper than trading coaches. Search or start a new thread about remodeling and you will see many people have been happy with the results. Have to get a good company to do the work - obviously
Old 07-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #106

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Talk to one of the remodelers about it. The basic "box" on your RV is the same size as others that have king beds.....so it can fit and work well. The remodelers can build custom furniture and even move "walls" to give you the floor plan you want. You were only thinking they would drop in a larger mattress.......much more goes on there than that. And it STILL can be cheaper than trading coaches. Search or start a new thread about remodeling and you will see many people have been happy with the results. Have to get a good company to do the work - obviously
that's not a half bad idea brother! Thanks for the tips and the links!
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #107

Jay,
A couple of points....
Your Rev is on a great chassis, probably drives nicer then a shorter coach. A 43 TAG may cruise better however.

When I did my flooring, I removed the magazine rack behind the J couch, it gave me about 6 more inches to move the J against wall and gain room walking around with slide it. That space could ALSO be used for a TV to raise up.

A king bed is 16" wider then a queen. How do you only have 6" to walk around current bed with slides out? With both slides out the end of the bed is pretty far away from the passenger slide cabinets. Are you talking about width? Anyways, with mods to the side cabinets I imagine a king could fit pretty easily. Perhaps I will look at it closer when I get mine out of storage next. That said, I just bought a new queen mattress so I am not in the market to change!!

re: air conditioners... Something to think about, me too. Our coaches have 2 13.5K units on the roof. I wonder if you could swap in 15K units to replace them. OR, adding a third cannot be rocket science I imagine. I wonder if upgraded 15K new units would be sufficient.

Ya'll use your rig WAY more then us, so you have a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the layout. IMHO you have spent a good deal of moolah to get your rig "right", would be a shame to walk away. That said, it's YOUR money, hehe.

I am at the point now of almost being done (haha, ya right). Will add AGS setup I just bought. Will dry camp some more to determine if I need solar. I am also trying to figure out a better outdoor TV mount, and would like an outdoor fridge.

Fun to follow your thoughts man!

-Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #108

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Jay,
A couple of points....
Your Rev is on a great chassis, probably drives nicer then a shorter coach. A 43 TAG may cruise better however.

When I did my flooring, I removed the magazine rack behind the J couch, it gave me about 6 more inches to move the J against wall and gain room walking around with slide it. That space could ALSO be used for a TV to raise up.

A king bed is 16" wider then a queen. How do you only have 6" to walk around current bed with slides out? With both slides out the end of the bed is pretty far away from the passenger slide cabinets. Are you talking about width? Anyways, with mods to the side cabinets I imagine a king could fit pretty easily. Perhaps I will look at it closer when I get mine out of storage next. That said, I just bought a new queen mattress so I am not in the market to change!!

re: air conditioners... Something to think about, me too. Our coaches have 2 13.5K units on the roof. I wonder if you could swap in 15K units to replace them. OR, adding a third cannot be rocket science I imagine. I wonder if upgraded 15K new units would be sufficient.

Ya'll use your rig WAY more then us, so you have a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the layout. IMHO you have spent a good deal of moolah to get your rig "right", would be a shame to walk away. That said, it's YOUR money, hehe.

I am at the point now of almost being done (haha, ya right). Will add AGS setup I just bought. Will dry camp some more to determine if I need solar. I am also trying to figure out a better outdoor TV mount, and would like an outdoor fridge.

Fun to follow your thoughts man!

-Chris
You actually raise a good point! The mattress that the "dealer" (if you could call them that) put into the bus upon purchase was a foam memory mattress that is much taller than a regular mattress. Therefore, it doesn't fit under the valence behind the bed at the window, forcing the end to poke out another how many ever inches to the left, forcing us to sort of sideways around it the end of the bed.

And then at night, when you put two dog beds under the edge there, whomever is on the left side of the bed has the added pleasure of trying to skirt around them dog beds in the middle of the night in the dark... not the end of the world, but I full wall slide 100% ends that issue. Think revolution 42, newmar 4037, tradition 42, allegiance, of HR endev 36 or 38pft or some four slide models that almost appear as a full wall slide like the 33aa, but in some cases you have to then deal with entry level stuff - which is not the end of the world, this is a little about utility.

I want to hear about your AGS install for sure! And I would like a semi detailed descrip of how that was installed.

I'll tell you too, even if you don't have a full wall slide, the models with the fridge in the slide in combination with a pull out desk and chairs also seems very spacious.

And on top of that, country coach back in the day made some pretty nice tag axle 40' ers with large engines and some really nice work inside! You gotta go back to 2005 /6 to be able to afford them though

Fleetwood's new 38J floorplan is amazing, but it's a new model for 15, so no discounts there! The more and more I look, the less I want to pay brand new full price. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed by the entire industry. I wonder what would happen if Toyota made RV's?

And don't even get me started on RV salesmen. I think what I find most interesting in the RV salesman is they act as if they expect you to just be caught up in the whirlwind of excitement and want you to buy right then, right there, and if you want more details or further exploration into the model offerings, they act offended that might have to put "an extra hour" into you.

I had one tell me that once he reached 10 hours invested in me, he would no longer be interested in helping me... really? I kinda thought I was the one who paid you?

This was the same guy that said 24% off msrp put them at their flat dead invoice cost, and any more, they would be losing money... My wife pulled some amazing math out on him, to include his commission, it was humorous. I wish I could get paid to buy coaches for other people! that would be so much fun.

But I worked out a routine that completely disarms them of their tactics, and they look like a deer about to be hit by a car - stuttering with their eye's crossed. I learned my lesson with the first RV salesman I met, and never made THOSE mistakes again!

I would much prefer a private party deal. At that point, I feel like I am doing someone else a favor by taking over their rv, no salesmen, no dealership, none of the rhetoric - and it may work out that way... if someone steps up to buy the REV. Only time will tell
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 07-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #109
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
But I worked out a routine that completely disarms them of their tactics, and they look like a deer about to be hit by a car - stuttering with their eye's crossed. I learned my lesson with the first RV salesman I met, and never made THOSE mistakes again!
So ya gonna keep it a secret?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #110

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
So ya gonna keep it a secret?
Oh haha, it deserves a topic of it's own for sure. However, I'm a tad nervous these days saying anything negative about anything or anybody for fear of B613.

(whomever catches the reference gets a cupie doll )
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 07-12-2014, 11:02 PM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm dying to know we are about to pull the trigger soon and with one rig I sorta questioned the price and didn't like the reaction response I got..

Shaz
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
I think these guys go to salesmans school and probably practised selling vacuum cleaners. Most of the salesmen I know approach a sale as a done deal. Sometimes their attitude will push a potential sale away but many times it will be the deciding factor.

Once went looking at condos. The first time I said I liked the place the salesman pulled out the sales agreement. As I told him I liked the place not the price. Ball is in your court.

Tags
slide