Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You don’t know what you don’t know!

Years ago when our kids were little we loved to go camping. When they became teenagers they didn’t want to be seen with us so going camping became a struggle. We sold out Yellowstone 24 ft trailer and found other interests.

In 2010 the DW and I started thinking how much we used to enjoy the RV lifestyle. After just a few days we decided to buy a new travel trailer. We went out and bought a 29 ft with a slide and thought RV’s have come a long way since the late 80’s. We really enjoyed the travel trailer, however after traveling with 3 dogs we started wishing we had purchased a motor home instead. We went back to the dealer and worked out a pretty good deal to upgrade to a Class A gasser. We knew going into the gasser that if it worked for us, in the way we hoped, we may eventually upgrade to a diesel pusher.

The time to upgrade came a little sooner that anticipated; yesterday! I will not bash our previous coach the 2011 Coachman Mirada since it was a great coach and the quality was good for the price I paid for it new. It ran like a top and we had very few issues with it.

The DW and I developed a list of wants over the last 1.5 years. When we upgraded we wanted a King Bed, 4 door fridge, insulated windows, washer / dryer, day / night shades, AC / Heat pump, tile floors, surround sound, free standing dinette, more counter space in the kitchen and a diesel that could handle a little more cargo. We got all of that and more!

I always thought our Class A gasser went down the road very well and since I was getting about 6.5 to 7.5 MPG it was pretty economical for the size and weight. While it was good, our new Berkshire 360 FWS on the freightliner chassis makes it look bad. What I found on the 200 mile trip home after taking delivery was a coach that is rock solid. The new coach is 3ft longer and went down the road so much better than the Ford chassis. It really felt like I was just driving a car. The air ride smoothed out all the bumps in the road. You felt the bump, but there was no bounce after that. Noise was almost non existent in the cockpit area. Just a slight bit of wind noise.

Now one of the things that got me the most excited was the fact that I no longer need to get in line at the gas pumps with the cars and wonder if there is enough room to maneuver with the toad. Just pull into a truck stop and drive right up to the diesel pumps. Fuel up and go!

The second biggest thrill was the mileage I got. I traveled about 400 miles, round trip, on I-95 and I-16. The section I traveled was all flat interstate and calm winds. Going east & north in the gasser I averaged 7.5 mpg at 62 mpg with the toad attached. I used to think this was good! Coming home in the new DP, with toad in tow, going south and west the computer was telling me that I was averaging 11.1 mpg. I didn’t really believe it. I thought for sure it had to be wrong so I stopped to refuel and calculating mileage the old fashioned way it worked out to 11.0 mpg. I never expected to get that much of an improvement. I sure hope the mileage continues.

If I had known what I didn’t know I would have skipped the gasser and went right to the DP! So far I’m a happy camper!

Yes; all you DP folks, I should have listened to you. I know you have been posting about DP vs. gas advantages for years.

Here’s a picture of the new coach.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
paz

Congrats on the new coach!

I used to have a business associate who, upon hearing we planned to buy an RV said, "Buy the biggest one you can now because you're going to end up with it anyway." How true. We started with a 16' TT many, many years ago. Now we have a 37' Class A.

PS: Don't forget to update your avatar and your signature. You'll want to show off that new coach.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats, and welcome to the club.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
7.5 mpg.. Gee, my Gasser gets 8-10 depending on when I last waxed it. Of course I only have a Queen Bed (more than big enough for my 6'3" and room left over for the wife)

(We could fit a 3rd in if we had to)

I can tell you one thing about this Class A however that I absolutly, beyond a shadow of a doubt LOVE and if I ever trade up will insist on in the new house....

2-holes, no waiting... It is a bath and a half model

I'd like larger waste tanks though.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Beautiful coach, 62. Congrats and enjoy. Welcome to the land of diesel pushers.
wizzo442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #6

And now the kids come around and want to go camping again.....right
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats on the new Motorhome! It's a beauty!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love the new home, I can only dream. The king bed would be great have the two dogs a share the bed with.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Marc & Jan, congratulations on the new coach. It looks great.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #10

Three new RV's in two years. The dealer must LOVE you.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
And now the kids come around and want to go camping again.....right
Yes! In the 2 days since owning the new coach and the kids have come out to the campground both day's!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Three new RV's in two years. The dealer must LOVE you.
Yes he does!! I'm putting him down as a dependent on next years tax return!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Greetings and welcome.
Nice rig.
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote