Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
You don't get what you pay for

We bough a 2006 hr endeavor, I loved it because it had a desk unit instead of a second sofa, and we had four slides which makes it huge. We are full timers and you need all the space you can get. Well, since we bought it, the original owner did not take care of it, broken icemaker line in fridge, flooded the living room carpet, broken pipe under kitchen sink, repaired twice, finally by a capable plumber, loose pipe under vanity, slight flooding, broken lines on all generator tubing, front end problems, we had generator and engine serviced. Captains chairs did not swivel, never had the brackets put it, we left the electric awning out, overnight huge wind came up and tore the brackets off, needed all be housings. We will never leave the awning out when we leave or overnight. We keep all the rv mobile techs busy in all the campgrounds we visit. They have to eat too. I never realized that going down the road could make everything bounce so much that screws constantly have to be tightened. I thought it would be more economical to live in a mh. Ha, but you get to see the county, meet new people and I can have my pets with me. It is all worth it as far as I can tell. We are going to our first rally and are really looking forward to it, we can all share war stories.

2006 40' HR Endeavor. 2002 Corvette red covert show car. 2011 20' Cargo trailer with matching MH paint and graphics for Corvette to live in.
hit the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Start fixing things yourself, unless your rich. I would have spent hundreds of thousands by now if I had the rely on $75-100/hr handymen.
If it's broken and fix it yourself you get job satisfaction. I personally don't like buying people their Mercedes or big SUV's....

Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you're having so many problems. I know it's hard to believe at this point but that is a fine machine and once you get the bugs worked out, well, it won't be trouble free but things will break at a much less frequent pace.

Becoming a handyman is a good approach, but extended warranties are another way to go... if you get a good one.

Best of luck and hang in there.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Fiesta48 is right on the money. Fix anything yourself that you can. While some of the problems of a motorhome are beyond the capabilities of the average DIY person, many things are easy to repair. Dont be afraid to try most repairs. There is a ton of good advice, information and expert rver's on this site and others that will gladly help. But I agree with you that the experience of rving is worth the aggravation.
John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by hit the road View Post
I thought it would be more economical to live in a mh.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
how is it the original owners fault? Caveat emptor.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP, I'm sure my son in law would like to meet you! He does mobile RV repair.

Me? I learned years ago to twist my own screws and repair what breaks.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
Sorry to hear about your issues. We are not full time, but we have spent over 1200 nights in our motorhome in the last six years. I can count on one hand the number of loose screws in those years. We have not (knock on wood) had loose connections or broken pipes in the water systems. We have had some OEM failures (air conditioner, convertor, electric awning, power cord insulation) but nothing like the issues you are describing. On the other hand, our custom built, all American, one nail and wire at a time, stick and brick always needs something done. I hate leaving the motorhome because I know something will need fixed or repaired there.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
As they say it happens don't sweat the little stuff. You might try a little lock tight to hold it together.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds Like.....

Sounds about right. Stuff breaks, if you can't fix it yourself you have to pay someone who can. The more you can do yourself the better.

Losing an awning to wind is not a failure of the awning. But it is an expensive lesson. For us (many years ago) it was water dripping out of redwoods and the lesson was to lower one side of the awning so the water can run off without pooling.

Good news though. You've found the right place.

FYI: 40+ years of RV'ing, still learning. Lots of it from folks here.

Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Yes, it's true, you don't necessarily get what you pay for, but you do pay for what you get, even if it's not what you want.

We all sympathize with your (undeserved) troubles, and the best solution is to follow the previous advice and learn to do it yourself as much as possible. You might take some Saturday morning seminars at Home Depot, or even some seminars at some of the RV sites. There are often demos and lectures at rallies, and RV shows, and some locations such as CW offer classes on caring for your MH.

Your best bet is going to be to examine and learn as much as you can from everything you have to fix or get fixed. Most things make sense if you study them, and every lesson learned can make the next problem a little easier.

Sorry if this sounds pedantic and pompous, It's not meant to be: just keep at it and it will get better.

TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Hit the road - Stuff goes wrong with houses on wheels. After 2 1/2 years my to-do list is down to zero. But pretty much every trip something comes up.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
My to do list is never ta done!

Always something new to do, just not as much as you get the list down to manageable.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
iRV2 No Limits Club
55 years of RV'ing here, lots of experience with everything but 5th wheels!

In 1957 my parents rented a TT using a bumper hitch. In 1958 they special ordered a KenCraft trailer. Pressurized water system (pressure tank and hand pump), gas instant water heater, combined shower and head (no grey or black tanks, they didn't have them back then), gas mantle light, propane in the floor furnace.
I can't tell you how many tires we went through on it. Even went to oversize truck tires that pounded out the wheel wells. My mother and I spent one day riding in the TT while my father drove through the flooded washes in the SW while we swabbed up the water that came in. My father spent a whole day caulking the wheel wells up. Went to heavy duty mobile home tires/wheels to fix it.
I learned a lot about repairing stuff that broke, although my parents did go to an Airstream Excella 500 (Wally Byam # 8008), then a Foretravel MH. Guess that's where I learned about buying a quality rig and learning to fix it myself!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote