Just sharing this as a lesson learned. Everything I did could and should have been prevented! No lectures please.
Just finished a two week trip from Ottawa to Washington DC and places in between. Things went fine overall except one day.
First campsite on the road, get up and the coffee maker doesn't work, and we don't even have instant. Suck it up and get on the road.
That evening pull into the next campsite, supposed to be pull-through but with the neighbouring campsites having hoses laying in mine and a very sharp turn in, plus not long enough for the toad, I break from my usual routine (first bad decision) I unhook the toad and tell the wife to back it up a ways as I need to back up and then turn in. I've walked the site but with the DW in the car I don't wait for her to be my ground guide.
Pull into the site but I seem too far from the utilities, no problem - just swing the front to the right (wheel hard left) and back up at an angle and then pull up straight. One problem, I forgot about the fire-pit
The right front wheel caught it, flipped it up and actually tore the fiberglass just behind the steps. It's a sound I won't soon forget!.
The steps were jammed by the wheel well but I manged to pull the fiberglass out so they worked as normal. I hope the campers next door weren't home as there were a few choice words about my stupidity! Picture below
OK, so now my routine is totally shot as I think of the $$ to fix the damage.
I level the MH, plug in the power. I go in and put out the slides, usually have the DW out to ensure all is clear. Not this time.
I'm lucky a bad day didn't get much worse. A plastic utility post, plainly visible, was next to my living room slide and I never noticed. Not until about 15 minutes later when I went to pull down the window awnings. I was lucky, there was about a 1/4 inch clearance between the bottom edge of the slide and the post! The picture makes it look worse.
For the remainder of the trip I stuck to my routine and everything worked out fine, lesson re-learned!.