Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #127

A few years back some friends of mine thought I should 'Volunteer" my MH for a cross-country trip that they were planning. The idea was to rotate drivers so we could stay on the road for 40 hours straight. I said I would look into it. I came back with this:

Insurance company needs everyone's driver's licence number to verify that they have no moving violations in the past 36 months.

That stopped the idea dead in its tracks.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #128

I am disappointed in humanity when I read this thread. Selfishness and the me me me attitude seems to be the consensus.
To me, people are more important than stuff. If a friend, whom I know is competent to operate my things, wants to borrow my coach, airplane, house, kidney, or any other wordly possession that I own, they are welcome to them. That is what a friend does.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leardriver View Post
I am disappointed in humanity when I read this thread. Selfishness and the me me me attitude seems to be the consensus.
To me, people are more important than stuff. If a friend, whom I know is competent to operate my things, wants to borrow my coach, airplane, house, kidney, or any other wordly possession that I own, they are welcome to them. That is what a friend does.
It is good for you that you have not had any issues.
Many of us know we live in a litigious society where it is never the person who causes the problem that is at fault it is that one that has the most money or insurance.
Have been to enough funerals (and other situations) to know that you do not know a person until they have a stressful situation, then the real person comes out (including suing their own family, not me thankfully).

Many you never have a situation (including them having a medical condition) where someone proves your trust misplaced (or bad luck).
Old 04-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #130

Quote:
I get the giving up a kidney, letting them stay at your house, or letting them stay in your MH that is parked at your house. I would do that in a heartbeat to help a close friend or relative out. I'm not selfish in any way and if they asked I would rather give them the money to rent one than let them use my MH.

But letting some one borrow a plane or a MH that may not have the knowledge or the ability to operate it in a safe manner is not being responsible to the rest of us. I have heard people say they have done a lot of things and have driven a million miles, but you really don't know until the problem arises. Talk is cheap. Letting them borrow something like a MH is selfish in some respects, as you have the right to jeopardize your own safety and "worldly possessions" but you don't have the right to jeopardize others.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #131

My boss just returned my motor home from a 4 day trip. Not a scratch on it. I didn't have time to fill up the tanks before he left and he was kind enough to return it FULL in gas and propane. It is an inanimate object. I love it to death. I don't loan it out to anybody, but if I truly believe they will fix what they break I'd rather see it traveling than just sitting there rotting

BLUM
Old 04-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I get the giving up a kidney, letting them stay at your house, or letting them stay in your MH that is parked at your house. I would do that in a heartbeat to help a close friend or relative out. I'm not selfish in any way and if they asked I would rather give them the money to rent one than let them use my MH.

But letting some one borrow a plane or a MH that may not have the knowledge or the ability to operate it in a safe manner is not being responsible to the rest of us. I have heard people say they have done a lot of things and have driven a million miles, but you really don't know until the problem arises. Talk is cheap. Letting them borrow something like a MH is selfish in some respects, as you have the right to jeopardize your own safety and "worldly possessions" but you don't have the right to jeopardize others.
Notice in my comments that the qualifier was "whom I know is competent to operate my things."
That makes all of the difference in my decisions.
I still choose to be a friend rather than a collector of pricey things that my friends can't enjoy.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
My boss just returned my motor home from a 4 day trip. Not a scratch on it. I didn't have time to fill up the tanks before he left and he was kind enough to return it FULL in gas and propane. It is an inanimate object. I love it to death. I don't loan it out to anybody, but if I truly believe they will fix what they break I'd rather see it traveling than just sitting there rotting

BLUM
I have similar sentiments. Use selective judgement based on whom the request is coming from, and under the right circumstances, consider sharing.
No carte blanche refusals.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #134

Exactly. My coworkers all know the boss uses it and 1 of them keeps hinting and joking about borrowing it. I tell him no ay in hell cuz you're an idiot and I wouldn't let you borrow my sons bike

BLUM
Old 04-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #135

That'll be a $150,000 security deposit in cash!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #136

Quote:

I commend you for your attitude, however, my real friends would probably never even consider asking to borrow my motor home, for the very fact that our friendship truly means that much to them! If I offered to let them borrow it, that would be another matter.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #137

Quote:
My dog?...yes
My wife?...maybe
My coach?... never
Old 04-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #138

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I commend you for your attitude, however, my real friends would probably never even consider asking to borrow my motor home, for the very fact that our friendship truly means that much to them! If I offered to let them borrow it, that would be another matter.

Exactly! My friends have some pretty cool things that I would love to try out, but I would never ask to borrow.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #139

Quote:
I would like to borrow your motor home , I don't want to put all the miles and wear and tear on mine. Hopefully you have a King sized bed so my Dog will have room for a good night's sleep. I have a small 70 pound American Pit Bull Terrier who is house broken . Thank you in advance
Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #140

i would ask to borrow your wife ,But iam afraid you would say yes